7.62 can opinions

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

detectivegreenly

7.62 can opinions

Post by detectivegreenly »

Looking at the SWR Specwar 7.62, Liberty Freedom and others, recommendations? Gonna be used on 700s and ARs in 5.56 and eventually 300 BLK. I'm trying not to break the bank, pay less than $750 for it. So it seems titanium cans and the 762-sdn-6 are pretty much ruled out. Probably going be buying from Silencer Shop. Thanks.
Last edited by detectivegreenly on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sig. nuff said.
detectivegreenly

Re: 7.62 can opinions

I was originally only condsidering thread on cans namely the Freedom, but a sales rep at Silencer Shop told me about the Specwar. The Specwar is that much less than the SDN6 and the mounts cost less too. It's also 300 mag rated which is a bonus. I just don't wanna spend a fortune. The Freedom and Specwar are neck and neck for me right now.
sig. nuff said.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I would get a silencer that uses a mounting system (not a thread on).
It will allow you to put it on rifles of whatever thread pitches they make the mount for (like 5.56 AR's 1/2x28, etc)
It makes the silencer more useful on more rifles.
detectivegreenly

that seems to be the consensus, if anyone has experience with the Specwar please share
sig. nuff said.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Great can. Little heavier than some of the others but it is awsome . They did a hell of a job. If they could only fix their dealer locator though .:)
detectivegreenly

66427vette wrote:Great can. Little heavier than some of the others but it is awsome . They did a hell of a job. If they could only fix their dealer locator though .:)
referring to the Specwar?
sig. nuff said.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Yes . Sorry. If I had to pay for a308 can right now with my own money that would be it. Smoking deal for what it is. I have Demo's of just about every can made and it rates right near the top at a fraction of the price.
detectivegreenly

66427vette wrote:Yes . Sorry. If I had to pay for a308 can right now with my own money that would be it. Smoking deal for what it is. I have Demo's of just about every can made and it rates right near the top at a fraction of the price.
That's great to hear, I'll keep that one at the top of my list for when I'm ready to buy.
sig. nuff said.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Suggest looking at YHM's offerings. Their original 7.62 Phantom is sorta like the checker cab of suppressors. Built like a brick shithouse and just as heavy, but has top level performance. They have a new light weight model that is, well....lighter.:D Their QD system is fully functional.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Decided to wait around for the 762 Saker.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Consider weight as important as suppression...and in some cases I'd give up a little Db before buying a heavier silencer. If you buy anything over 20 ounces you won't be happy(when you do get a chance to try one lighter) and under 15 is better. Be willing to wait/save longer for a lighter can. You won't regret it.
detectivegreenly

dtom29 wrote:Consider weight as important as suppression...and in some cases I'd give up a little Db before buying a heavier silencer. If you buy anything over 20 ounces you won't be happy(when you do get a chance to try one lighter) and under 15 is better. Be willing to wait/save longer for a lighter can. You won't regret it.
yeah I don't want anything too heavy as this can will get double duty on carbines as well as bolts.
sig. nuff said.
iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly

Post by iron.maiden »

Cyclone is a great choice...all symmetric design, weights at 22 , great suppression with nice tone and well priced . You will be more than happy with it
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I just bought a Specwar 7.62, keep in mind they include the mount and it works with their 5.56 mount as well. Hopefully my 5.56 Specwar will be approved by Jan. or Feb.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
detectivegreenly

MJF1911 wrote:I just bought a Specwar 7.62, keep in mind they include the mount and it works with their 5.56 mount as well. Hopefully my 5.56 Specwar will be approved by Jan. or Feb.
the fact that they include a mount is a big plus. with that in mind, its basically the same price as a cyclone or freedom if you dont include the mount. i guess im gonna go qd so it mounts solid.
sig. nuff said.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

You're all kinds of worried about weight? Still suggest you check out YMH stuff, Their new, light weight offerings are just that. And their baffle design/performance is documented top performance.

Check out NFA.com for documentation.

Don't be a coolade drinker.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

The YHM is actually an ounce heavier than the Specwar, and less capable since it is only rated for .308 Win, where the Specwar is rated up to 300RUM.

The only advantage I see to the YHM is the variety of threads offered on the mount and depending on your dealer maybe a few dollars cheaper. NFA stuff is not where I go cheap.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
detectivegreenly

MJF1911 wrote:The only advantage I see to the YHM is the variety of threads offered on the mount and depending on your dealer maybe a few dollars cheaper. NFA stuff is not where I go cheap.
my thoughts exactly. im not going so cheap i might regret it.
sig. nuff said.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

MJF1911 wrote:The YHM is actually an ounce heavier than the Specwar, and less capable since it is only rated for .308 Win, where the Specwar is rated up to 300RUM.

The only advantage I see to the YHM is the variety of threads offered on the mount and depending on your dealer maybe a few dollars cheaper. NFA stuff is not where I go cheap.
The Titanium phantom weighs 15 oz....the Specwar weighs 24 oz....not an ounce lighter...
detectivegreenly

cant go titanium cause itll cost too much
sig. nuff said.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Save longer...it's worth it, really.
detectivegreenly

8-10 oz isnt worth $300-400 to me
sig. nuff said.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

It will be when you start running it. You'll see.... :wink:
detectivegreenly

i have my price point and i want to stick to it, i have other things i need to pay for as well, ie truck payments
sig. nuff said.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

The YHM .30 cal Phantom LT can seems disappointing after seeing this video from Silencershop. If their testing was done correctly and that particular example wasn't an aberration, the Phantom LT's sound performance with .308 sucked at a 145dB average. It's cheaper than the SDN6 and weighs the same amount, it just has significantly inferior sound performance.

The Stellite baffles sound great, but the thing that gets me about the 7.62 Specwar from the standpoint of a multi-caliber suppressor is the weight. It's going to be about 28oz overall once you add in the typical 4oz weight of the flash hider/brake mount. I've tried out an 8" barrel entry-type AR that had a 30oz thread-on Coastal suppressor mounted and it sucked to carry around and do drills with, even with the short barrel. A 28oz can isn't going to be ideal unless you plan on using it mostly from prone and the bench or as part of a combined range session/arm workout. :wink: