Question about .22 Can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Question about .22 Can

Post by rem_pss308 »

Im going to be in the market for a .22 can soon. I want one that has very little or none first round pop, and is quiet on a rifle and a Pistol. Weight, Material, and length is not a real factor.

Im not worried of cost. ( buy once, cry once) lmao

I have a form one .22 can already, but its 10" long x 1" with freeze plugs. and it has no first round pop, and is very quiet on both rifle and pistol. On the bolt action. mainly just here firing pin hit.

Is there any cans that meet my specs?
I'll keep my money, My Guns, and My Freedom. You can keep the change !!!!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question about .22 Can

Post by JasonM »

rem_pss308 wrote:Im going to be in the market for a .22 can soon. I want one that has very little or none first round pop, and is quiet on a rifle and a Pistol. Weight, Material, and length is not a real factor.

I have a form one .22 can already, but its 10" long x 1" with freeze plugs. and it has no first round pop, and is very quiet on both rifle and pistol. On the bolt action. mainly just here firing pin hit.

Silencerco Spectre II or AAC Element2
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

Silencerco Spectre II,AAC Element2or liberty essence
Just my $.02
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

rem_pss308 wrote:Im going to be in the market for a .22 can soon. I want one that has very little or none first round pop, and is quiet on a rifle and a Pistol. Weight, Material, and length is not a real factor.

AAC Element 2 is what you want. zero first round pop, extremely quiet on rifle and pistol.
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

thanks for responses. looks like the element 2 wins. Hope yall right for the price. LOL
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

why discount the Spectre II? At 1:41 in the video you can see that no FRP existed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF_xsaJ-iyM
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

Same db reduction. Element 2 is shorter and lighter. Yes 200.00 more but its an investment.
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

You said weight and length aren't factors?

Spectre II would be my choice.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

All three cans mentioned are spectacular. The element and essence are more costly and of those two I would take the essence(it's clear where the extra expense is MATERIAL!). For the price the SpectreII is tough to beat!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

Length and weight are Low factors. but if both have no FRP and both are very quiet (same DB) then shorter and lighter can be factors.

Still considering both. have to see what is available here in Florida.
rem_pss308
Silent But Deadly

Post by rem_pss308 »

liberty essence: what about first round pop? I sen how quiet it was. but is it as quiet and the other two?
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

rem_pss308 wrote:liberty essence: what about first round pop? I sen how quiet it was. but is it as quiet and the other two?
i have my doubts the monocore essence is quieter than the k baffle element 2.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

Anybody in or around vegas have an element2?
I would be glad to have a shoot out. I am curious myself.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have a element and liberty TL , the TL is more quiet on rifle and less blowback but bigger/ more volume, the Element is a great pistol can and best for short and light on pistol. The TL sound about as good on pistol.

The SWR Spectre II is a great can and I would buy it if needing another! It's the easiest to clean (tube stays clean) also best price and great service and looking at tests most quit on pistol.

You won't " cry " with any new SWR, any 3 is good but 22 cans get dirty fast so think cleaning too. :wink:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

All modern quality 22LR cans meter well below 120db. So performance-wise, it's like splitting hairs.

Focus instead on what 22LR is famous for and is unavoidable...dirty, heavy lead buildup! Ease of cleaning should be #1 priority IMO.

Sparrow and Spectre II are both stainless, but Spectre breaks down into 11 pieces with a tool, while Sparrow breaks down into just 5 pieces with no tools.

No FRP on rifles with the Sparrow, but it happens on pistols. But depending on your particular pistol, sometimes there's no FRP or is just negligible.

I vote Sparrow. It's also the shortest 22 can on the market, just 5.08"
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

rimshaker wrote:All modern quality 22LR cans meter well below 120db. So performance-wise, it's like splitting hairs.

Focus instead on what 22LR is famous for and is unavoidable...dirty, heavy lead buildup! Ease of cleaning should be #1 priority IMO.

Sparrow and Spectre II are both stainless, but Spectre breaks down into 11 pieces with a tool, while Sparrow breaks down into just 5 pieces with no tools.

No FRP on rifles with the Sparrow, but it happens on pistols. But depending on your particular pistol, sometimes there's no FRP or is just negligible.

Without a meter it is anecdotal but it has been said that varying the twist of the barrel
has been perceived to correlate with a varying of FRP on a .22 pistol.

A not often mentioned third order parameter that might be considered for an actual test.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

The FRP with the Sparrow on a pistol can easily be avoided with a quick spritz of water from a nasal spray bottle.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Historian: What twist would help? Most barrels are 1:16. I saw one for 1:9 specially made for 60gr Aguilla. I don't know if it would overstabilize a Winchester M22 40gr @ 1255fps?
Abiqua wrote:The FRP with the Sparrow on a pistol can easily be avoided with a quick spritz of water from a nasal spray bottle.
Great idea! I don't know why so many posters are against lithium grease in centerfire blast chambers. It's the only way that I have ever shot.
I never even considered rust being a problem from combustion byproducts until I read about it in a thread yesterday. Grease would seem to be of obvious assistance w that too.
I've also used a straw to place distilled water along the baffle stack after several shots have heated the can and softened/evaporated much of the grease. (I only add grease when I can run a jag down the bore to make sure of no strikes.)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

Spit.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

rem_pss308 wrote:Same db reduction. Element 2 is shorter and lighter. Yes 200.00 more but its an investment.

The real consideration between the two is ease of cleaning, and the Spectre II wins hands down.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

kassenz wrote:Spit.
:shock: :lol:
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

whiterussian1974 wrote:Historian: What twist would help? Most barrels are 1:16. I saw one for 1:9 specially made for 60gr Aguilla. I don't know if it would overstabilize a Winchester M22 40gr @ 1255fps?
Abiqua wrote:The FRP with the Sparrow on a pistol can easily be avoided with a quick spritz of water from a nasal spray bottle.
Great idea!
Old idea, as old as the sparrow. :mrgreen:
I don't know why so many posters are against lithium grease in centerfire blast chambers. It's the only way that I have ever shot.
I never even considered rust being a problem from combustion byproducts until I read about it in a thread yesterday. Grease would seem to be of obvious assistance w that too.
I've also used a straw to place distilled water along the baffle stack after several shots have heated the can and softened/evaporated much of the grease. (I only add grease when I can run a jag down the bore to make sure of no strikes.)
Because its a mess and no need on the good new cans.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

rimshaker wrote:All modern quality 22LR cans meter well below 120db. So performance-wise, it's like splitting hairs.

Less pieces don't mean easier to clean, with the Spectre you have no half shells or gap residue and the pieces sonic and water tumble easier.

The sparrow sounds better on rifle but the Specter better on pistol so something for him to think about. Most anything on rifle sound "ok" but then blow back comes into play fouling semi rifle mags and this is where the liberty shines and no FRP.

I remember Major malfunctions side kick ( moderator) blaming Ruger 10/22 X mags for being " junk" when doing a sparrow report and we all know how good those mags are. :lol:

So things to consider but yes cleaning is huge and SS cores huge when buying 22 cans. How many seconds to take one apart not so huge if you factor other needs.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Emilio wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:I don't know why so many posters are against lithium grease in centerfire blast chambers. It's the only way that I have ever shot.
Because its a mess and no need on the good new cans.
I'm about to be serious, not sarcastic.
Not needed doesn't = best. I use Li grease to lube my car's undercarriage. Strictly speaking, not needed, but far better than w/o.
I guess I am just always looking to improve performance, rather than settling for good enough.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
cmichael
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cmichael »

Emilio wrote:

Less pieces don't mean easier to clean, with the Spectre you have no half shells or gap residue and the pieces sonic and water tumble easier.

The sparrow sounds better on rifle but the Specter better on pistol so something for him to think about. Most anything on rifle sound "ok" but then blow back comes into play fouling semi rifle mags and this is where the liberty shines and no FRP.

I remember Major malfunctions side kick ( moderator) blaming Ruger 10/22 X mags for being " junk" when doing a sparrow report and we all know how good those mags are. :lol:

So things to consider but yes cleaning is huge and SS cores huge when buying 22 cans. How many seconds to take one apart not so huge if you factor other needs.

Well said, I like my SS Sparrow, and Love my Spectre II. It build like a tank. Most important is servicebility and warrenty. If I have only one choice, It will be Spectre II.