Liberty Mystic on 16" AR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Liberty Mystic on 16" AR

Post by marcus99 »

Already decided that the Mystic is going to be my next can. As I understand it (please correct me if I am mistaken on anything below) the Mystic may be used on an AR when fired at a very low rate of fire. I think the Mystic with fixed mount would work out great on my 16" benchrest AR build with BCM barrel threaded to 1/2x28. Typically I take a shot every few minutes, readjust, check the spotting scope etc....basically plenty of cooldown time. My questions are;

- How well will the larger diameter of the Mystic suppress with the smaller diameter AR bullet? Is it hearing safe? FYI, I have no experience with suppressed ARs.
- Is the Mystic rated for ONLY .223, or also 5.56? I usually shoot my own handloads (25.5-27gr of Varget pushing a 55gr FMJBT).
- Will I need a spacer or can I simply thread the Mystic on?

If I think of anything else I'll update the OP. Thanks!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty Mystic on 16" AR

Post by rimshaker »

Benchrest pace is definitely considered slow rate of fire, so you're good.

Suppressed 223/556 out of a 16" barrel is still loud. Some people still wear ear pros. Some don't.

Now if you had a 20" barrel it would definitely be quieter, and you could increase the rate of fire too.

Curious to know also if Liberty uses 223/556 interchangeably.
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Yes, we do as far as rating the Mystic goes. The differences are there, but not excessive. If you watch our Get a Mystic video, you will see Scottie shooting the Mystic on an AR at the rate we are good with.

Edited to ad: You can direct mount the 1/2-28 FBA without the need for a spacer to your AR barrel threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpnKLWT0E8

Hope this helps,

David
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

That video is a lot more helpful than simply saying slow fire. How long can you keep that rate going before you mirage?
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

David,

Thanks for the feedback. I made it over to my friends this weekend and we mounted his Mystic on my AR and put a few rounds downrange. We were both very impressed with its suppression. I stood about 20ft to the rear at about 5 o'clock and even with all the surrounding trees it was still hearing safe. I did not shoot it without muffs though.

One question; when we went to thread on the fixed mount it only screwed on 2/3 of the way, at most. Its possible the threads on my AR and/or the threads on the fixed mount were dirty; we didnt force it. Is the Mystic's fixed mount threaded all the way through?
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Yes, it is threaded without a shoulder in the bottom so it will seat on the shoulder ont he rifle. There are several things that could have caused that. Dirt being the first one to check as you mentioned. The next is that it could be just tight if both of them are running to the edges of the spec. If so, we can open up the mount a little and it will be fine.

As for the AR rate of fire question, it is pretty toasty by the end of the 30 round mag... :)

David
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

BigDave@SMDW,LLC wrote:Yes, it is threaded without a shoulder in the bottom so it will seat on the shoulder ont he rifle. There are several things that could have caused that. Dirt being the first one to check as you mentioned. The next is that it could be just tight if both of them are running to the edges of the spec. If so, we can open up the mount a little and it will be fine.

As for the AR rate of fire question, it is pretty toasty by the end of the 30 round mag... :)

David
I got your fixed mount in the mail late last week from Silencershop and it threads all the way on to the shoulder on my AR, so I am all set, but thank you for the offer. Hopefully I'll be able to take my Mystic home before 2015.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

BigDave@SMDW,LLC wrote:Yes, we do as far as rating the Mystic goes. The differences are there, but not excessive. If you watch our Get a Mystic video, you will see Scottie shooting the Mystic on an AR at the rate we are good with.

Edited to ad: You can direct mount the 1/2-28 FBA without the need for a spacer to your AR barrel threads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUpnKLWT0E8

Hope this helps,

David
What is a FBA? I have a Mystic ordered but am confused over the adapters. I ordered a Booster, I think it is called, for pistols but am not sure what I need for my 1/2x28 threaded AR. Do I need to get a 1/2x28 fixed or will the can thread directly to my 1/2x28 rifle? The adapter/mounts are getting kind of expensive, like pushing a couple hundred dollars for two mounts!!!

My 9mms pistols are 1/2x28 threads as well. Seems none of the other can makers require a booster to cycle the pistol.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

hardcase wrote:What is a FBA? I have a Mystic ordered but am confused over the adapters. I ordered a Booster, I think it is called, for pistols but am not sure what I need for my 1/2x28 threaded AR. Do I need to get a 1/2x28 fixed or will the can thread directly to my 1/2x28 rifle? The adapter/mounts are getting kind of expensive, like pushing a couple hundred dollars for two mounts!!!

My 9mms pistols are 1/2x28 threads as well. Seems none of the other can makers require a booster to cycle the pistol.
FBA - Fixed Barrel Adapter

The booster is the spring/piston inside the adapter and is needed for most pistols since their barrels tilt and/or move during cycling. All can makers have boosters, they just call it different names (A.S.A.P, Nielsen device, etc).

For your AR rifle, you need the 1/2x28 FBA. The barrel is fixed so you don't use a booster with it. Otherwise it will mess up the threads.

I agree... adapters, pistons, and mounts aren't cheap. Such is the NFA life....
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

The mystic sounds sooooo good on an AR I'm seriously considering whether it's worth it for me to get a dedicated 5.56 can. I can't wait until mine gets out of NFA jail. Here's my friend's Mystic on my host:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZk3Nj6WUJ8
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

marcus99 wrote:The mystic sounds sooooo good on an AR I'm seriously considering whether it's worth it for me to get a dedicated 5.56 can. I can't wait until mine gets out of NFA jail. Here's my friend's Mystic on my host:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZk3Nj6WUJ8
Nice. Yea with support for full power 556 and full auto 300 BLK, the Mystic leans more as a rifle can than pistol. A take-apart rifle can at that... great product!

Should you decide on a real dedicated rifle can, I would probably go with a 762.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Work on that stance . :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Emilio wrote:Work on that stance . :mrgreen:
It's pretty ridiculous :lol:
Last edited by Jt.kline19 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

:lol:
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

It's the result of borrowing a pair of jeans several sizes too large without a belt that you must struggle to keep from falling down while shooting because your regular pairs of jeans are put away for the summer, in the middle of an 80 degree day in July, because your friend lives on a swamp infested with mosquitoes and you don't want to get bitten.
Jt.kline19 wrote:
It's pretty rediculous :lol:
*ridiculous
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I've yet to hear that as an excuse. :)
Blackhorse Scout
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

marcus99 wrote:
It's the result of borrowing a pair of jeans several sizes too large without a belt that you must struggle to keep from falling down while shooting because your regular pairs of jeans are put away for the summer, in the middle of an 80 degree day in July, because your friend lives on a swamp infested with mosquitoes and you don't want to get bitten.
Jt.kline19 wrote:
It's pretty rediculous :lol:
*ridiculous
Spell check you have failed me!!!
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012