How to register a can that will be inherited?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Conqueror
Elite Member

Re: How to register a can that will be inherited?

Post by Conqueror »

Bendersquint wrote:No Form5's only go to individuals, not entities.
Is that true? It's not an issue for me since all my items are in trust already anyway, but this seems odd. Like, it's perfectly legal for me to will an item to a trust, so why shouldn't there be a tax-free transfer? Is this explicit in ATF regs?
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Conqueror wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:No Form5's only go to individuals, not entities.
Is that true? It's not an issue for me since all my items are in trust already anyway, but this seems odd. Like, it's perfectly legal for me to will an item to a trust, so why shouldn't there be a tax-free transfer? Is this explicit in ATF regs?
They transfer tax free to a beneficiary. A beneficiary is a person. A person can be a trust. It is all in the instructions on page 3.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

That makes more sense to me.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Conqueror wrote:Just make sure that the heir actually wants, and can legally receive, the items. I know a guy whose kids are not gun people, so willing his collection to them would be silly (especially since they live in ban states). I haven't explored this yet, but I'm sure an estate attorney would know a way for the estate to sell the items for fair price and then will the proceeds to the children if direct inheritance of the firearms is not possible.
They would form 5 it to an SOT for consignment sale.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Pman5KMO wrote:
Conqueror wrote:Just make sure that the heir actually wants, and can legally receive, the items. I know a guy whose kids are not gun people, so willing his collection to them would be silly (especially since they live in ban states). I haven't explored this yet, but I'm sure an estate attorney would know a way for the estate to sell the items for fair price and then will the proceeds to the children if direct inheritance of the firearms is not possible.
They would form 5 it to an SOT for consignment sale.
You can't consign NFA items. The estate would Form5 the item to the SOT then the SOT sells it and pays the previous owner appropriately.
BWDenver

Post by BWDenver »

A benefit of a Trust is that can add people to it. If you pass an NFA item on to a child, and they are married, they might have a problem. If their spouse has access to the item, that could be construed as an "illegal transfer".

A Trust gets around that. You can add or subtract people from the Trust, especially if it's Perpetual Trust. A regular Trust dissolves on your death.

The advantage of a Trust can also assist with local stupid laws. Like new passage of magazine restrictions, or if the Trust owns an AR, and the state of the child bans them - before your death. A Perpetual Trust gets around that in that they are an "owner", and therefore can receive the item with little paperwork , other than an address change to the NFA.

Regards,

Bryan
Manassas VA
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

I realize this thread is quite old, however I have 2 questions on this subject that I would greatly appreciate an answer to.

First, can an item received on a form 5 be transferred again on another one later, like a family heirloom?
Grandfather -> father -> son

Also, what if my father dies, with multiple NFA items owned by him as an individual and I want to take possession of them but would prefer them on my trust?
Does it matter than I am named in the will and I am the executor of the trust?
Can they be transferred directly to the trust if it is named in the will?
Would I have to fill out separate form 4s on each item to transfer them from me to the trust?
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dark2023 wrote:I realize this thread is quite old, however I have 2 questions on this subject that I would greatly appreciate an answer to.

First, can an item received on a form 5 be transferred again on another one later, like a family heirloom?
Grandfather -> father -> son

Also, what if my father dies, with multiple NFA items owned by him as an individual and I want to take possession of them but would prefer them on my trust?
Does it matter than I am named in the will and I am the executor of the trust?
Can they be transferred directly to the trust if it is named in the will?
Would I have to fill out separate form 4s on each item to transfer them from me to the trust?
1 - It can transfer on a Form5 unlimited times so long as the owner(non-entity owned) passes away. Form5's can only transfer to individuals and not entities as well.

2 - You can transfer then for $200 per from your approved Form5 as an individual INTO your trust, but a Form5 can't transfer INTO a trust, only a Form1/4 can.

3 - You don't have to be named, you just have to be an heir and fight off the other heirs.

4 - Again no Form5 into a Trust, only Form1/4 into a trust.

5 - Yes, you would have to file a Form4 from you to the trust for each item and pay the $200 stamp for each.
apd855

Post by apd855 »

Who takes posession after said person passes, and while the paperwork is being processed
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

apd855 wrote:Who takes posession after said person passes, and while the paperwork is being processed
Usually the executor would possess it.
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Dark 2023 thank you for bringing this back to the front page.
I was thinking about the same issue.
Thanks to all to people that have provided the information.

Lateck,
rb288

Post by rb288 »

Have him create a gun trust with you as co-trustee.
It's chesp, easy, and that way you have access to it whenever you want and when he dies, you become the soul trustee control the trust which actually owns the suppressor.
No cleo signatures, no fingerprints, easy peasy.
Specwar 762
Specwar 556
2 Hybrids
Omega
Obsidian 45

18" Keltec RFB
8.25" 300blk sbr
10.5" 5.56 sbr
10.5" 6.5 g sbr
bolt actions in 223, 556, 6.5 c, 300blk, 308, 8x57, 450bm