Has anyone metered the Surefire SOCOM556-RC?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

edarahk

Has anyone metered the Surefire SOCOM556-RC?

Post by edarahk »

I've searched high and low for this data and have come up empty handed.

I'd really like this information to see how this particular can compares soundwise to the other offerings in the industry and mainly because my paperwork gets submitted to the ATF tomorrow for either the SWR Specwar or the SOCOM 556RC.

Huge price difference. I find it odd that being the suppressor chosen by some military outfits that this data isn't widely available and easy to find.

Thanks guys. I hope your google fu is stronger than mine or that you just know where to look.
Silencerco Sparrow SS / Ruger 10/22
SWR Spectre II / Ruger 22/45 Lite
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Has anyone metered the Surefire SOCOM556-RC?

Post by MJF1911 »

I don't know what it meters, but it is a compact can, it won't be quieter than the Specwar.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
edarahk

Post by edarahk »

I don't know that I'd call the RC a compact. At 6.2 inches it's only a half inch shorter than the saker and TBAC.
I'd consider the mini a compact, not the RC. Just really curious as to what it meters, if it's acceptable or not, I don't want to buy a 140db can.
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

FWIW the ejection port noise is louder than 140dB on essentially all AR-15 suppressors regardless of brand or size. There is no such thing as a hearing-safe superosnic rifle silencer. The Surefire will probably be within a few dB of the top in terms of suppression performance. If you like it, buy it.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
edarahk

Post by edarahk »

The lack of information regarding this can is quite disturbing.

One thing I found out was when silencershop tested it, it was so loud they didn't include it in their video because they thought it was broken/defective, and sent the can back to surefire.
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
edarahk

Post by edarahk »

Ended up submitting paperwork for the specwar, I like how forthcoming silencerco is with data/materials etc.

It's a known quantity and a great value.
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

edarahk wrote:Ended up submitting paperwork for the specwar, I like how forthcoming silencerco is with data/materials etc.

It's a known quantity and a great value.
^ Good call.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Good choice.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Both are good choices. The SF can you mentioned will meter in the mid 130's based on all of the data I have seen. Can't beat either company's support.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

edarahk wrote: One thing I found out was when silencershop tested it, it was so loud they didn't include it in their video because they thought it was broken/defective, and sent the can back to surefire.
That was the 762 can, not the 556 can.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Conqueror wrote:FWIW the ejection port noise is louder than 140dB on essentially all AR-15 suppressors regardless of brand or size. There is no such thing as a hearing-safe superosnic rifle silencer. The Surefire will probably be within a few dB of the top in terms of suppression performance. If you like it, buy it.
OP, congrats on your purchase. SWR/Silencerco make great stuff. I'm sure you will be happy with your Specwar.

Conqueror is correct. 5.56 cans on AR-15's are loud. Muzzle blast is only one component of the noise from a suppressed AR, but it's the one that cans are compared by.

The fact is, you will never notice a few dB difference while shooting the gun.

Far more important are factors like size, weight, mounting system and gas blowback.

This is where the SureFire excels.

I've had an AAC M4-2000 mod 08 for about 4 years. It's a good can. It has an OK mount and fairly significant blowback out the ejection port on my 10.3" barreled Colt.

I shoot left handed so I'm probably a little more sensitive to blowback than most others.

I recently sold the M4-2000 to a friend and I'm waiting on the transfer for a 556RC. The factors that made me choose the SureFire were the superior mount and less blowback.

What really sold me on the 556RC was my experience with my 762RC on my LMT MWS.

It's an awesome suppressor. And yes, it's quiet. I've had a friend shoot it side by side with my AAC Cyclone on a 20" barreled Rem 700. Yes, the Cyclone/bolt gun combo was quieter (of course), but the SureFire was closer than I had hoped or expected.

Here's a quote from Philip Dater of Gemtech in this thread on AR15.com:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/42081 ... tml&page=2

We have several Surefire rifle suppressors here at Gemtech, and we have measured their sound levels on an M4 carbine (14.5” barrel) a number of times. We also have AAC, KAC, and a few others. Because we are competitors, I think it would be unethical to post specific results.

Separate from Gemtech, I teach a 2-day class in suppressor history, designs, testing, development processes, etc, at LMO (a GSA certified training facility) in Henderson, NV. The class is held twice a year, and I think LMO charges just minimally south of $495 to attend. Part of the first day is spent on the range teaching sound measurement techniques (consider it a lab). We use the LD 800B (which meets all requirements of MIL-STD-1474D) for metering. This next class next week, we will add the LD LxT1-QPR meter, which is just minimally outside the requirements for rise time, but which otherwise complies and has the fastest rise time on the digital peak detector of meters on the market (typically 28 µ-sec). The B&K 2209 and LD 800B are no longer in production, and used meters on e-bay may require extensive (and expensive) repairs — if parts are still available. The LD LxT1-QPR with the correct microphone and preamp run a little south of $5,000.

In the class, we test for comparison a number of suppressors on the M4 (14.5” barreled) carbine with ammo from the same lot of M855 ball. We measure at 1 meter to the left of the muzzle, partially because it is an industry standard, and partially because it is the most easily reproduced positioning with different shooters and weapons. The SF cans we use are the FS556K and the Mini. We also use a KAC M4QD, an AAC M4-2000, and our G5. Class participants are given the results, along with results from previous classes.

Excluding the SF Mini, the suppressors are pretty much the same size (length 7”, diameter 1.5”, etc.). The human ear can almost always detect a 3 dB difference in sound level. What I can say is that the G5, M4-2000, and M4-QD have almost the same sound level and the SF FS556K measures only minimally louder — usually not a perceptible subjective difference. The Mini from this same weapon is noticeably louder, and unlike the others, is a little above 140 dB.

About a year ago, one of the SF reps told me that the newer SF cans were quieter and that I should use a newer variant in my class. I said that I would be happy to do so if the company would comp me one, an offer declined by SF. Considering the cost and that I would be buying it personally, I will stick with what I have. Incidentally, the samples I use are all 2-3 years old.

We have measured one of the micro 5.56 cans by OPS Inc that was personally owned by a former employee, and found the reduction to be in the vicinity of 9-10 dB.

What needs to be remembered is that users in the field are not necessarily primarily interested in hearing protection. Instead, they are interested in being able to be detected (flash, dust, and lastly sound). Sound is pressure and the level diminishes with the square of the distance (6 dB for each doubling of distance). It does not take too many doublings to be at or below the bullet flight noise (148 dB for the M855), and by the time the muzzle blast has reduced to below 80-90 or so dB, the target can no longer determine the origin of the shot. Any degree of suppression simply decreases the distance at which the target can hear the bullet shock wave but no following muzzle blast for orientation.

Hope this helps.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
saigatechusa
Silent Operator

Post by saigatechusa »

Unobtanium wrote:Both are good choices. The SF can you mentioned will meter in the mid 130's based on all of the data I have seen. Can't beat either company's support.
My 300 WM with 190gr smk's @ 2950fps measure 135db 1 meter from ear.

Tested with calibrated B&K 2209 and 1/4" mic of coarse it's a bolt gun

50 Beowulf with 500gr xtp's at 900fps 138db 1 meter from ear.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Look for Fireman1291's video review of the Specwar 5.56. I don't know what Silencerco did as far as the low backpressure design, but there isn't a hint of gas coming from the charging handle in his video. It also meters lower than the Saker, and AAC M42K.

Mine should get out of jail by June.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.