Beretta 71 thread pitch?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

g3shooter

Re: Beretta 71 thread pitch?

Post by g3shooter »

Bendersquint wrote:
JOHN_E wrote:Since you seem to know something about these pistols, what thread will be found under there?
Depends on the ACTUAL origin....I have not seen actual MOSSAD firearms EVER sold let alone exported to the US. I am sure there are exceptions and ones that "make their way" to the US.

I have seen 7/16-28, 3/8-24/28, and a metric thread that I can't remember right now. I gotta dig out my notebook and check.

Something to keep in mind is that ANYONE may have threaded the barrels and may not have stuck with any specs but their own.

So who is the distributor for these pistols?
IIRC, Model 71s that belonged to Mossad have Hebrew markings on the bottom of the magazine well.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

g3shooter wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
JOHN_E wrote:Since you seem to know something about these pistols, what thread will be found under there?
Depends on the ACTUAL origin....I have not seen actual MOSSAD firearms EVER sold let alone exported to the US. I am sure there are exceptions and ones that "make their way" to the US.

I have seen 7/16-28, 3/8-24/28, and a metric thread that I can't remember right now. I gotta dig out my notebook and check.

Something to keep in mind is that ANYONE may have threaded the barrels and may not have stuck with any specs but their own.

So who is the distributor for these pistols?
IIRC, Model 71s that belonged to Mossad have Hebrew markings on the bottom of the magazine well.
This is correct. My own well worn example has said markings on the bottom of the magwell. It's also threaded 3/8x24TPI, internally.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
rjmorel

Post by rjmorel »

FYI Got one off GunBroker and the thread pitch is standard 1/2-20 as mentioned above. Barrel on left is M71, barrel on right is 1/2-28 adapter which is finer pitch thread. To get fake silencer off, I put silencer in milling machine vice. Centered over the witness haze??? where they welded the hole up. Drilled a smaller hole to where it just broke through into the hex of the set screw. Then counter bored it with an end mill till I could get the allen wrench into screw. Removed set screw. Used heat gun till it melted lock tight, unscrewed fake silencer with gloved hand. rj

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

they are fun little guns, i have two of them, but the blowback is pretty horrendous with the open top slide design of the Beretta.

Do yourself a favor and use the knurled adapter that is online, not the silencerco branded one. i used both and the knurled one is significantly better quality.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Bendersquint wrote: Still would love to know why they did that to those pistols for no reason at all!
Wouldn't it be considered a longer barreled pistol now with the faux suppressor so be able to
gain points to get around all the 1968 import for "sporting purpose" test crap.
(which penalized for short barrels, small caliber, short overall length or height, non-adjustable sights, etc.) Same reason the import of the Walther PPK/S which was just a little bit bigger than PPK.

The PPK/S was developed following the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA68) in the United States, the pistol's largest market.[10] One of the provisions of GCA68 banned the importation of pistols and revolvers not meeting certain requirements of length, weight, and other "sporting" features into the United States. The PPK failed the "Import Points" test of the GCA68 by a single point. Walther addressed this situation by combining the PP's frame with the PPK's barrel and slide to create a pistol that weighed slightly more than the PPK. The additional ounce or two of weight of the PPK/S compared to the PPK was sufficient to provide the extra needed import points.

The PPK/S differs from the PPK as follows:
Overall height: 104 mm (4.1 in)
Weight: the PPK/S weighs 51 g (1.8 oz) more than the PPK
The PPK/S magazine holds one additional round, in both calibers.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

So I just bought one, $270.00 debated backboring the fake silencer and build integral. Pain in the butt to chuck up in the lathe with the barrel and slide riding along. I decided I wanted to be able to take off an adapter and take the barrel from the slide like designed. I cut to the set screw, they do not all seem to be in the same position, mine was at about the 2:00 position as you look down the sights. Allen screw came out easily with very little torque, heat of propane torch was enough. The factory threads looked like crap just like the above pictures. Decided 9mm X .75 thread was the way to go, same as Sig Mosquito and GSG 1911. So I turned down the barrel and threaded with a die, not a lot of protrusion. Made 1/X28 to 9mm X .75 internal thread adapter with shoulder. Just used tap and die, did not try to lathe cut thread, came out very nice tight fit on threads. Has some problems with the thread relief cut so most of that was done on the adapter not the tiny amount of threads I had on the barrel. Just shot the gun, works well, high velocity ammo spits quite a bit out the slide action, first gun I have had that would cycle weak ass PMC Moderator. Would not cycle the Super Colibri but never expected it to. Ran some of the crappy Federal bulk pack ok in 19 degree temps. Nice trigger. Hope the Triple K mags coming work as not many factory mags to be had. I did do a visual of the silencer looking through the barrel and the alignment looked good, noticed no POI or keyhole problems on target at 25 feet distance.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

As I look on the web I now believe these not to be factory threaded guns. The front site is squared off on front where factory guns seem to be a ramp going onto the protrusion of the barrel in front of the slide. I believe the barrels were just quick threaded and that thing put on to give them the importation points needed to sell into the US.

The guns sold into the US as Target pistols got a 6" barrel or adjustable sights added on to get around the importation points.

These they got around that by putting a glob on the end of the original barrel.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

just a few quick questions because I know this is an older post. How did they expect you to take the slide apart? I plan on picking one of these up just for some fun shooting and to improve my collection. I am going to remove this abomination they put on but dont have a lathe to turn the barrel down so I will order the adapter. is it accurate at all?
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

My own factory threaded example came internally threaded, which is extremely useful.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Joker31D wrote:just a few quick questions because I know this is an older post. How did they expect you to take the slide apart?
It was just for import purposes.....they know most people that buy one will remove the fake can anyways.

From conversations I have had with customers you would be blown away at how many DON'T CLEAN THEIR GUNS, let alone take them apart.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I want one for hunting so I can end them humanely, I currently use a knife and almost got my hand cut off by a boar so a 22LR pistol with a can is better.

Did the triple K mags work?
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

The KKK mags needed a complete take down and a fluff and buff to remove the flashing on the follower. The overall length of the magazine is just a tad long so if upward pressure is put on the magazine durring shooting the feed lips drag the slide and prevent function. If no pressure is put on the mags they feed fine after the fluff and buff, they would not feed one round the way they came from KKK.