357 lever and Octane? Quieter than semiauto pistol?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

zeeew
Silent Operator

357 lever and Octane? Quieter than semiauto pistol?

Post by zeeew »

Hello all

I am seriously looking at a lever 357 carbine for another host for the Octane 9HD. It might not have quite the range of a 300blk, but it would be lots cheaper to play with, and the large meplat of 357 heavies would do some damage to critters. I want quiet. I could just download 9's for the G23 with 9 Wolf bbl, and manually cycle, but a 357 rifle with 200gr or more subsonic bullets should be a decent setup, with a good 150yd range, even on deer size critters.
Those who have a suppressed lever, how do you like it?
Also any suggested loads for 16" bbl? I look at the Kieth style 200 bullets; the 230 looks like it isnt really conducive to feeding in a lever.

Eric
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Re: 357 lever and Octane? Quieter than semiauto pistol?

Post by Buzduk »

zeeew wrote:Hello all

I am seriously looking at a lever 357 carbine for another host for the Octane 9HD. It might not have quite the range of a 300blk, but it would be lots cheaper to play with, and the large meplat of 357 heavies would do some damage to critters. I want quiet. I could just download 9's for the G23 with 9 Wolf bbl, and manually cycle, but a 357 rifle with 200gr or more subsonic bullets should be a decent setup, with a good 150yd range, even on deer size critters.
Those who have a suppressed lever, how do you like it?
Also any suggested loads for 16" bbl? I look at the Kieth style 200 bullets; the 230 looks like it isnt really conducive to feeding in a lever.

Eric
The really great part about having a .357 with a 9mm can is that you can always find cheap .38's to shoot that are stupid quiet! Most 158's are subsonic in my 16" Handi and I have even found some nice hornady xtp ammo (home defense loads) that are great. They are made to perform(expand) at about 710fps out of a 2" revolver and in my Handi they go about 950fps!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

I have one, am using an SWR trident on it. It is fun to shoot. With some load work, a good quiet load can be found.

I tried some 200gr TMJ bullets, but just couldn't get them to work out. In special cases, I got pressure signs before they got fast enough. Got one stuck in the barrel. In Mag cases, the lever gun becomes a single shot because they are too long to feed out of the tube. That's how it worked out for me anyway, YMMV. 158 gr bullets are much easier to work with, and are quiet enough. But then if I want heavy, I can just use 300gr out of my SRT Bison,,,
zeeew
Silent Operator

Post by zeeew »

The Bison looks like a nice setup, never heard of it til now. I will have to think about one of those.
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

I have a Marlin 1894 and run it with an AAC EV9. I mainly run 158s from it. It is definitely more quiet than the Glock or HK that I actually bought the suppressor for. This can hardly ever hangs off the end of a handgun anymore. I plan on getting the jailbreak treatment done so I can shoot lead through it (and because of the lead I've already shot through it).

I have some 200 grain bullets but haven't worked up any loads for it. Be careful hand loading slow-moving jacketed bullets for the carbine. I had a Hornady XTP get stuck in my Handi Rifle.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Wanted to do the same but will use the octane 45 for the hot stuff.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Got a liberty mystic on a .357 ranch hand and it is stupid quiet with .38s.