most effective .308 suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

User avatar
mj30wilson
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

most effective .308 suppressor

Post by mj30wilson » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:13 pm

when talking suppressor is longer more effective?
what is the most effective on the market for the .308
I'm a reasonable guy most of the time but i must insist factory rifles now come with 1/8 m.o.a guarantee to support my fly wing shooting pastime.

User avatar
continuity
Elite Member
Posts: 4554
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 am
Location: Ohio

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by continuity » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:54 pm

You brotha, have no idea what rift in the continuum you have just asked for.

I will suggest the latest YHM QD offering. At 20oz., it might be considered heavy, but the QD mounts are IMHO, best in the market. It meters at the top end of performance relative other cans.

I use the initial YHM 7.62 QD offering. A 30 oz beast that does double duty as a blunt foce weapon. Heavier than hell, but extremely effective at blast surpression.

Others will chime in, but IMHO, there is no better suppressor available, especially for the price.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick

User avatar
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Oregon Territory

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Abiqua » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:08 am

Check out this video of various 30 cal cans used on .308 and various other calibers. For about $130 more than the YHM can you can get an SWR SpecWar that performs significantly better and is backed by some of the best customer service in the industry.

User avatar
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Roswell, GA

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by m1garand30064 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:42 pm

The quietest .30 caliber suppressor I've heard are the Ops Inc (now Allen Engineering) cans.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD

iron.maiden
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 240
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by iron.maiden » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Cyclone ..........cyclone

User avatar
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: North Fl.

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by rcn11thacr » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:57 pm

I like the victory magnum best.
Yes the victory works well, here are the specs:Caliber: 7.62 NATO
Length : 10″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 15.7 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 32dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1195
However the victory magnum weighs just a tad more and does handle more wallop. Also has more internal volume and has a higher db reduction. No proof of this but i bet the victory mag would be quieter with the .308 than the victory due to the increased internal volume, combined with the same sized exit diameter.
Caliber: 300 WIN MAG
Length : 11″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 18.5 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 34dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1395

Both of these suppressors can be had for less money with a bit of shopping around (C&H)
Blackhorse Scout

Buzduk
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Location: KY

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Buzduk » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:39 pm

rcn11thacr wrote:I like the victory magnum best.
Yes the victory works well, here are the specs:Caliber: 7.62 NATO
Length : 10″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 15.7 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 32dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1195
However the victory magnum weighs just a tad more and does handle more wallop. Also has more internal volume and has a higher db reduction. No proof of this but i bet the victory mag would be quieter with the .308 than the victory due to the increased internal volume, combined with the same sized exit diameter.
Caliber: 300 WIN MAG
Length : 11″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 18.5 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 34dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1395

Both of these suppressors can be had for less money with a bit of shopping around (C&H)
These two cans from liberty are in a completely different category then the previous cans me tioned.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/

rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:53 am

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by rjacobs » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:11 am

Best I have heard was a Thunderbeast. I think it was a 30BA on a GAP Crusader.

It was quieter than my SDN6 on my Rem 700 AAC-SD.

We were shooting the same hand loads.

[email protected]
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:28 am
Location: Decatur, Tx

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by [email protected] » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

Buzduk wrote:
rcn11thacr wrote:I like the victory magnum best.
Yes the victory works well, here are the specs:Caliber: 7.62 NATO
Length : 10″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 15.7 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 32dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1195
However the victory magnum weighs just a tad more and does handle more wallop. Also has more internal volume and has a higher db reduction. No proof of this but i bet the victory mag would be quieter with the .308 than the victory due to the increased internal volume, combined with the same sized exit diameter.
Caliber: 300 WIN MAG
Length : 11″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 18.5 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 34dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1395

Both of these suppressors can be had for less money with a bit of shopping around (C&H)
These two cans from liberty are in a completely different category then the previous cans me tioned.
What two "categories" are you placing these cans in???

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

I love my YHM Ti Phantom and am currently getting ready to buy there new M2 offering. Unfortunately it is the only rifle suppressor I have used so can't compare it to anything else, but would say it is absolutely hearing safe.

1slow01Z71
Silent Operator
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by 1slow01Z71 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:52 pm

Veritas wrote:I love my YHM Ti Phantom and am currently getting ready to buy there new M2 offering. Unfortunately it is the only rifle suppressor I have used so can't compare it to anything else, but would say it is absolutely hearing safe.
I have a ti phantom as well, while its a nice can there are much quieter ones out there. The specwar was very noticeably quieter than any of the others Ive heard. Never heard any liberty cans but at their price point I personally wouldn't consider them when much cheaper options perform just as well or within a db.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 pm

1slow01Z71 wrote:
Veritas wrote:I love my YHM Ti Phantom and am currently getting ready to buy there new M2 offering. Unfortunately it is the only rifle suppressor I have used so can't compare it to anything else, but would say it is absolutely hearing safe.
I have a ti phantom as well, while its a nice can there are much quieter ones out there. The specwar was very noticeably quieter than any of the others Ive heard. Never heard any liberty cans but at their price point I personally wouldn't consider them when much cheaper options perform just as well or within a db.
I do love SilencerCo but think i will stick with the Phantom series eventhough the specwar has bettwe numbers.

SpecWar advertised as 137 dB

Phantom Ti was reviewed on SilencerForum as 141.8 dB

I just cant justify the silencerco since I already have so many phantom QD flash hiders on all of my guns.

1slow01Z71
Silent Operator
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by 1slow01Z71 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:08 am

Veritas wrote:
1slow01Z71 wrote:
Veritas wrote:I love my YHM Ti Phantom and am currently getting ready to buy there new M2 offering. Unfortunately it is the only rifle suppressor I have used so can't compare it to anything else, but would say it is absolutely hearing safe.
I have a ti phantom as well, while its a nice can there are much quieter ones out there. The specwar was very noticeably quieter than any of the others Ive heard. Never heard any liberty cans but at their price point I personally wouldn't consider them when much cheaper options perform just as well or within a db.
I do love SilencerCo but think i will stick with the Phantom series eventhough the specwar has bettwe numbers.

SpecWar advertised as 137 dB

Phantom Ti was reviewed on SilencerForum as 141.8 dB

I just cant justify the silencerco since I already have so many phantom QD flash hiders on all of my guns.
At 11db quieter its worth the swap for me. Not to mention Im not all that fond of the yhm qd mount, the teeth on the mount don't clock into the groove on the can right every time and I get quite a bit of shift with it.
Comparing two different tests with two different sets of equipment on two different days is a terrible way to compare cans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWo0JGqW ... KddJtnWQaw
The difference is very noticeable in person, even when shooting 300blk subs.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:04 am

1slow01Z71 wrote: At 11db quieter its worth the swap for me. Not to mention Im not all that fond of the yhm qd mount, the teeth on the mount don't clock into the groove on the can right every time and I get quite a bit of shift with it.
Comparing two different tests with two different sets of equipment on two different days is a terrible way to compare cans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWo0JGqW ... KddJtnWQaw
The difference is very noticeable in person, even when shooting 300blk subs.
In that video the difference between the Phantom M2 and the SpecWar was 8 dB. I still just dont think I want to make the switch to Silencerco

Toxarch
Silent Operator
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 am

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Toxarch » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 am

8 dB is pretty significant. 10 dB is a doubling of perceived volume.

User avatar
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: North Fl.

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by rcn11thacr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:36 am

[email protected] wrote:
Buzduk wrote:
rcn11thacr wrote:I like the victory magnum best.
Yes the victory works well, here are the specs:Caliber: 7.62 NATO
Length : 10″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 15.7 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 32dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1195
However the victory magnum weighs just a tad more and does handle more wallop. Also has more internal volume and has a higher db reduction. No proof of this but i bet the victory mag would be quieter with the .308 than the victory due to the increased internal volume, combined with the same sized exit diameter.
Caliber: 300 WIN MAG
Length : 11″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 18.5 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 34dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1395

Both of these suppressors can be had for less money with a bit of shopping around (C&H)
These two cans from liberty are in a completely different category then the previous cans me tioned.
What two "categories" are you placing these cans in???
I'd like to know that also. No one mentioned price or how ineffective a suppressor could be. The OP was asking for the most effective .308 can and i suggested just that.
Blackhorse Scout

1slow01Z71
Silent Operator
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by 1slow01Z71 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:15 am

Veritas wrote:
1slow01Z71 wrote: At 11db quieter its worth the swap for me. Not to mention Im not all that fond of the yhm qd mount, the teeth on the mount don't clock into the groove on the can right every time and I get quite a bit of shift with it.
Comparing two different tests with two different sets of equipment on two different days is a terrible way to compare cans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWo0JGqW ... KddJtnWQaw
The difference is very noticeable in person, even when shooting 300blk subs.
In that video the difference between the Phantom M2 and the SpecWar was 8 dB. I still just dont think I want to make the switch to Silencerco
Well thats certainly your choice and I can understand since youre vested in yhm qd mounts which I am too at 5 you need to remember the db acale logarithmic not linear. So like its been said a 10db difference is DOUBLE the perceived volume. It truly is a very noticeable difference between the specwar and any of the yhm offerings. The phantoms were at the top of the heap 3 yeard ago but there are many much better choices for the same or less money. Especially with their dated qd design. The specwar and gemtech sandstorm qd system is much better.

The 11db I was talking about was between the specwar and the ti phantoms we have thus my comment about it being worth the switch for ME. The yhm cans just have no place in a thread asking for the best suppression. They dont even come close.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 pm

1slow01Z71 wrote: Well thats certainly your choice and I can understand since youre vested in yhm qd mounts which I am too at 5 you need to remember the db acale logarithmic not linear. So like its been said a 10db difference is DOUBLE the perceived volume. It truly is a very noticeable difference between the specwar and any of the yhm offerings. The phantoms were at the top of the heap 3 yeard ago but there are many much better choices for the same or less money. Especially with their dated qd design. The specwar and gemtech sandstorm qd system is much better.

The 11db I was talking about was between the specwar and the ti phantoms we have thus my comment about it being worth the switch for ME. The yhm cans just have no place in a thread asking for the best suppression. They dont even come close.
Those are good points and I do agree with you that the difference is large enough to be recognized as beating the YHM's. The only problem I have currently with the Specwar is that the trifecta's are only being offered in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24 and if I made the switch I would be unable to use my FS2000 or M1A until the new mounts with the factory TPI came out. I just called and talked to SilencerCo though and they said in the next 6 months or so that there should be new offerings for muzzle breaks so the specwar can be used on more rifles.

Man, you are starting to push me to the specwar, I could deal with owning both cans...and multiple muzzle breaks...

Has Stellite been proven to be better than stainless steel in terms of durability?

User avatar
Vagabond
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Vagabond » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm

Thunder Beast Arms 30P-1 for a direct thread or 30BA for a brake attach. They also have several other variations of this suppressor in different lengths.

TBAC is commonly thought of as THE suppressor to go with when talking about precision work. its also a rock solid can that handles a ton of stuff. Super quiet, very little poi shift if any at all, absolutely repeatable.


i highly recommend taking a look into it.

User avatar
oldcoot
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:43 pm
Location: Lone Star State

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by oldcoot » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Vagabond wrote:Thunder Beast Arms 30P-1 for a direct thread or 30BA for a brake attach. They also have several other variations of this suppressor in different lengths.

TBAC is commonly thought of as THE suppressor to go with when talking about precision work. its also a rock solid can that handles a ton of stuff. Super quiet, very little poi shift if any at all, absolutely repeatable.


i highly recommend taking a look into it.
+1, it would be worth your time to review it as a possibility. I have one pending on a eForm 4 at the moment.
Arma tuentur pacem

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 pm


User avatar
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: miami, florida

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by delta9mda » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:37 am

cyclone for cost, size and performance.

the thunder beast line seems to be getting popular.
NP

User avatar
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:32 pm
Location: miami, florida

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by delta9mda » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:41 am

NP

User avatar
Veritas
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 383
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Veritas » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:43 am

The Cyclone is metered on average on their website at about 4 dB less at the ear and muzzle, however, I am curious what the Phantom M2 is metered at, I am hoping it is less...

Buzduk
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 739
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 2:13 pm
Location: KY

Re: most effective .308 suppressor

Post by Buzduk » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:23 am

[email protected] wrote:
Buzduk wrote:
rcn11thacr wrote:I like the victory magnum best.
Yes the victory works well, here are the specs:Caliber: 7.62 NATO
Length : 10″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 15.7 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 32dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1195
However the victory magnum weighs just a tad more and does handle more wallop. Also has more internal volume and has a higher db reduction. No proof of this but i bet the victory mag would be quieter with the .308 than the victory due to the increased internal volume, combined with the same sized exit diameter.
Caliber: 300 WIN MAG
Length : 11″
Diameter : 1.5″
Material : Titanium with a stainless steel blast baffle
Weight : Approximately 18.5 ounces
Avg. Suppression : 34dB+ *
Mounting : 5/8 – 24 Thread Mount
$1395

Both of these suppressors can be had for less money with a bit of shopping around (C&H)
These two cans from liberty are in a completely different category then the previous cans me tioned.
What two "categories" are you placing these cans in???
I guess we could call them cans and premium cans! The victory and victory mag are astounding!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/

Post Reply