Silencerco's new can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silencerco's new can

Post by Emilio »

57fairlane wrote:
este wrote:Pro Tip: .... If you're going to use actual hunting footage in a promo... Make sure they're all good clean kills. A video of shooting a coyote being shot, panicking and having it spin around trying to see what just happened to it in surely despite your feelings on the vermin is likely agony.... And seriously... That doe deer.... What was is like a year and half old and all of 150lbs? ... No No, don't actually show the hearing and safety benefits of the silencer... Better to make some a shitty promo that is more effective as anti-gun or at least anti-silencers-for-hunting propaganda.

What fucking moron thought that those were a good idea? Just make products please. Next year I assume you'll complete your transformation from Like-Magpul-If-They-Made-Silencers to More-Like-A-Better-Funded-Version-Of-Griffin-Armarment

11oz - cool, would sell itself to target audience.
video - fucking retarded.
make sure you tell us how you really feel :mrgreen:

I think Este is also a judge for American idol. :lol: :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
1slow01Z71
Silent Operator

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Grounded wrote:
1slow01Z71 wrote:
este wrote:Pro Tip: .... If you're going to use actual hunting footage in a promo... Make sure they're all good clean kills. A video of shooting a coyote being shot, panicking and having it spin around trying to see what just happened to it in surely despite your feelings on the vermin is likely agony.... And seriously... That doe deer.... What was is like a year and half old and all of 150lbs? ... No No, don't actually show the hearing and safety benefits of the silencer... Better to make some a shitty promo that is more effective as anti-gun or at least anti-silencers-for-hunting propaganda.

What fucking moron thought that those were a good idea? Just make products please. Next year I assume you'll complete your transformation from Like-Magpul-If-They-Made-Silencers to More-Like-A-Better-Funded-Version-Of-Griffin-Armarment

Im interested in what you meant with your reference to Griffin Armament?

I agree that was a terrible idea for a promo video. The doe wasn't that bad. Not sure where that was taken but does in north Texas are doing good to get over 100#s. She did look young though... Maybe that guy woulda had better luck shooting that coyote if he actually had a decent scope besides that 4x to make what looks to be a 150-200yd shot. Was a good clean shot on that elk though.

Youd think they would have put more tech specs into the release video for it. I know it was meant to drum up feelings towards the group this is marketed to but some better shots coulda been chosen. Im not a fan of the muzzle brake design for a silencer but it doesn't look to kick out too much gas. The weight really gets my attention as well as the thread interchangeability for a hunting can but Ill wait til they make it out into the wild and we get some objective opinions on them.
I don't think suppression was the big sell on this one. I think being able to shoot a hefty hunting caliber in a sub 12oz can that you can lug around the woods is the appeal.
True but as a hunter I worry about the percussion from the muzzle blast bouncing off hard objects. In central Texas we have a lot of rock and I'd hate to bust off a round next to a rock ledge and lose some hearing in that ear. I really like the weight and the interchangeable direct threads but the integrated muzzle brake puzzles me. My 300wm is tamed quite well by having a regular ole can on it. Certainly enough for hunting purposes or 50 rounds of bench work.

Maybe Silencerco will release another video thats more technically geared than bravado.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

jh1990 wrote:
continuity wrote:Well, whatever it is, it's apparently not an inovation in light weight...

Just saying from the apparent rest, and the barrel droop :mrgreen:
11.3 oz 300 win mag can. Would you like some crow? :lol:
Whoa... I guess.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

That's about what my SAS Ti Arbiter weights. Great can ... and great weight!

Have a 7.62 Specwar in transfer to my dealer. Might have bought one of these.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:Video to watch/ debate.

Notice the gas spraying down.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A04LSEHETw ... 3Dyoutu.be
The downward spraying gases is interesting, have not seen that before.

Makes me think monocore and a non welded endcap!
Could just be production prototype and they didn't fully weld in order to examine after testing, or something to that degree.... could also just be lighting.

Very few monocore designs could even begin to withstand a 338, I think YHM is the only one who makes anything close to resembling a monocore for 338 LM. I would guess it would be a stack design or possibly a hybrid to deliver any performance to be a silencerco product brought to the market. I just hope this is ready to go to market in the next year... unlike another silencerco product....
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

jh1990 wrote:
continuity wrote:Well, whatever it is, it's apparently not an inovation in light weight...

Half the weight of a 7.62 specwar? What's the catch?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Pman5KMO wrote:Could just be production prototype and they didn't fully weld in order to examine after testing, or something to that degree.... could also just be lighting.

Very few monocore designs could even begin to withstand a 338, I think YHM is the only one who makes anything close to resembling a monocore for 338 LM. I would guess it would be a stack design or possibly a hybrid to deliver any performance to be a silencerco product brought to the market. I just hope this is ready to go to market in the next year... unlike another silencerco product....
Your research is off.

Look at AAC's Titan series (all of the models), and their MK13 (300SD). Monocore, durable, Mil-contract-winning, and very nice sounding.

What makes you think a mono core would have any more 'trouble' dealing with magnum calibers than baffles and spacers?

And Silencerco has said the Harvesters are already in transfer to dealers.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

JasonM wrote:
Pman5KMO wrote:Could just be production prototype and they didn't fully weld in order to examine after testing, or something to that degree.... could also just be lighting.

Your research is off.

Look at AAC's Titan series (all of the models), and their MK13 (300SD). Monocore, durable, Mil-contract-winning, and very nice sounding.

What makes you think a mono core would have any more 'trouble' dealing with magnum calibers than baffles and spacers?

Its stainless steel baffles per silencerco...

Monocore builds require complex machining operations and have strength faults from a machining standpoint which requires more material to offer strength... from a purely practical aspect. The ones you mention are a lot like YHM more of a hybrid type stack. These designs generally take up more internal volume and weigh more than a standard baffle stack. Look at the weoght of the standard stainless titan, or the Mk13 cans. Now it would be impossible to make an all SS can that light using monocore designs. Would need far more beef than some forged and finished baffles could and would weigh far more and cost far more if it was a monocore. Even Ti hybrid type monocores weigh more ala the Mk13-sd. I guess I didnt clarify enough.

a slant baffle design machined from a single piece of metal (what I refer to as hybrid) still requires thicker baffles than if they were forged stamped finished baffles with spacers and will have slightly less volume and if core is fully welded the stack core would likely perform a hair better.

one issue I have heard/seen with another smaller can mfg who makes a true monocore (as in would be harder to do as a stack) user disassembleable 5.56 can is erosion around the outer edges of the core.

Besides slant stacks and the hybrid cores tend to suffer where accuracy is concerned compared to traditional stacks.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

57fairlane wrote:

make sure you tell us how you really feel :mrgreen:
I feel like I'm seeing states get silencers for hunting at the same time other states are NOT getting it. The reasons they DON'T get it is because some assholes thinking silencers would make for rampant poaching, taking on the misconceptions about hunters and silencers together. The same type of asshole that sees this video and shares it around as "proof" of how hunters are just "murderers" of cute animals and F--k them anyhow.

This video does ZERO to sell the product. It took one line to sell this product right here to the target audience: "11oz 300wm". The video does MORE as to fuel for anti-gunners. It's - fucking - retarded. ALMOST as retarded as those posters Silencerco was selling that talked about shooting neighborhood lights out and killing your neighbor's dog. I swear, it's like they perhaps have considered putting something about "Arabs" on their cans.... Maybe they'll get around to that next?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Pman5KMO wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Your research is off.

Its stainless steel baffles per silencerco...

Monocore builds require complex machining operations and have strength faults from a machining standpoint which requires more material to offer strength... from a purely practical aspect. The ones you mention are a lot like YHM more of a hybrid type stack. These designs generally take up more internal volume and weigh more than a standard baffle stack. Look at the weoght of the standard stainless titan, or the Mk13 cans. Now it would be impossible to make an all SS can that light using monocore designs. Would need far more beef than some forged and finished baffles could and would weigh far more and cost far more if it was a monocore. Even Ti hybrid type monocores weigh more ala the Mk13-sd. I guess I didnt clarify enough.

a slant baffle design machined from a single piece of metal (what I refer to as hybrid) still requires thicker baffles than if they were forged stamped finished baffles with spacers and will have slightly less volume and if core is fully welded the stack core would likely perform a hair better.

one issue I have heard/seen with another smaller can mfg who makes a true monocore (as in would be harder to do as a stack) user disassembleable 5.56 can is erosion around the outer edges of the core.

Besides slant stacks and the hybrid cores tend to suffer where accuracy is concerned compared to traditional stacks.
what do you consider to be an "actual monocore"?

Given the same material, traditional baffles and mono core baffles shouldn't have to be thicker or thinner.
I agree that more care has to be taken to get a monocore's accuracy acceptable versus a traditional baffle/spacer stack.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

wacki wrote:
jh1990 wrote:

Half the weight of a 7.62 specwar? What's the catch?
The Specwar can handle SBR/Full auto. These are more for precision rifles and would compete with many of the Titanium cans.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Are you Canadian or something? Anti hunters/gunners hate us already, they already think we're frothing at the mouth to make bambi suffer. Nothing is going to change their minds. I prefer to see a realistic video like what SCo has done than the edited for TV/PC crapola that goes on hunting shows.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

MJF1911 wrote: Are you Canadian or something? Anti hunters/gunners hate us already, they already think we're frothing at the mouth to make bambi suffer. Nothing is going to change their minds. I prefer to see a realistic video like what SCo has done than the edited for TV/PC crapola that goes on hunting shows.
Are you really this ignorant or just trolling?
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Toxarch
Silent Operator

Post by Toxarch »

Why give them more fuel for their anti-hunter hate?

A bad shot on the coyote should have been followed up with another shot to finish it off. And leave that out of the promo video. And the deer did look young to me, but some of those middle states does always look younger than they are. The shot on the elk looked good, but the picture of the girl posing with the elk and covered in snow makes it look like the elk didn't die quickly.

A promo video on a suppressor should give the idea that the suppressor does NOT alter the bullet trajectory and cause a bad shot. This video did not do that.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I challenge any of you to find a true anti gunner or hunter that would approve of ANY shot on game. What SCo showed in the video is no different than what I see through the scope or binoculars.

Toxarch- I take it you've never hunted Elk. They aren't exactly easy to anchor and often trot several hundred yards before bleeding out, and it is rarely into easier access.

Anyway, I'm done commenting on this thread, it is apparent that those criticizing are not hunters or don't understand that not every shot is a perfect dead-right-there kill.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

MJF1911 wrote:... it is apparent that those criticizing are not hunters or don't understand that not every shot is a perfect dead-right-there kill.
You're wrong bro. I hunt. These days, primarily predatory varmits. Clearly understand that real life killing isn't really a pretty thing. IMHO, terminating a deer, coyote, groundhog, or crow, isn't on the face of it, a bad thing. One of my job duties is dispatching deer that are injured by a vehicle strike. Do at least one a week between Oct. and Feb. Try to make it one shot in the ear, but sometimes the animal moves and a follow up shot is necessary because I blew it's jaw off with the first shot. Would I suggest a video of the service our Office provides in dispatching an injured animal, that required 2 shots, be posted in an awareness of service video? Not!!!

My point is, what benifit is there to posting a firearm use video, especially as a selling point, that includes obvious suffering? We can take life, but in one train of thought, since we can't make life, if it's required, do so with the minimum of inflicted suffering.

Get a grip. I've got no interest in extending a living things suffering, and have no value in documenting such things.

WTF does killing stuff have to do with suppressor function anyway?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'm glad that Toxarch and Continuity get it.

What AMAZES me is that this is their core audience right here, and at least some of us can see the blatant issues. All they had to do was talk about the benefits of lightweight and hearing protection, the safety aspects, you know, things the product actually does. Show hunting if you must, but show good shots, yes, even if that isn't reality, it's easily digestible and not something that would be used as fuel. Those that hunt know it doesn't always go like that, but that's fine. If it's me selling a product, I'm going to have nothing but perfect drops because I'm selling a fucking lifestyle, I'm selling a product and it'll make you better, a better hunter, a better person... not buy my product and you can carry on the same as you are now.

Instead.... This pile of idiocy that will definitely be used against us. Thanks Silencerco!!!
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

este wrote:I'm glad that Toxarch and Continuity get it.

What AMAZES me is that this is their core audience right here, and at least some of us can see the blatant issues. All they had to do was talk about the benefits of lightweight and hearing protection, the safety aspects, you know, things the product actually does. Show hunting if you must, but show good shots, yes, even if that isn't reality, it's easily digestible and not something that would be used as fuel. Those that hunt know it doesn't always go like that, but that's fine. If it's me selling a product, I'm going to have nothing but perfect drops because I'm selling a fucking lifestyle, I'm selling a product and it'll make you better, a better hunter, a better person... not buy my product and you can carry on the same as you are now.

Instead.... This pile of idiocy that will definitely be used against us. Thanks Silencerco!!!
Time for a Snickers bar.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

^^^ :lol:
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

mpallett wrote:
este wrote:I'm glad that Toxarch and Continuity get it.

Time for a Snickers bar.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Toxarch
Silent Operator

Post by Toxarch »

MJF1911 wrote:I challenge any of you to find a true anti gunner or hunter that would approve of ANY shot on game.
Well then SilencerCo should go ahead and remake the video, only this time shoot manatees, miniature ponies and kittens. And be sure to gut shoot them all and film the slow death since according to you, it's viewed the same as dropping an animal in its tracks.

A commercial should be made with a target audience in mind. That video was not really targeted toward anyone. It doesn't show clean kills, it doesn't show repeatability of shots by using a suppressor, it doesn't show accuracy, it doesn't show off its light weight,... who are they advertising to? This forum should hold a good example of who their target audience should be. How can they get people's attention here? 11.3oz, 300 WinMag rated, 8.8", $750 msrp. Bam, you just got a lot of people's attention. Now show them the dB measurements in a video and hopefully compare to their competitors. Did that video they put out do anything to interest this target audience? I don't think it did. I know not every shot drops the animal in it's tracks. But if I am making a marketing video, I'm sure not using that footage in the video.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Toxarch wrote: A commercial should be made with a target audience in mind. That video was not really targeted toward anyone. It doesn't show clean kills, it doesn't show repeatability of shots by using a suppressor, it doesn't show accuracy, it doesn't show off its light weight,... who are they advertising to? This forum should hold a good example of who their target audience should be. How can they get people's attention here? 11.3oz, 300 WinMag rated, 8.8", $750 msrp. Bam, you just got a lot of people's attention. Now show them the dB measurements in a video and hopefully compare to their competitors. Did that video they put out do anything to interest this target audience? I don't think it did. I know not every shot drops the animal in it's tracks. But if I am making a marketing video, I'm sure not using that footage in the video.
QFT.

Thanks for advice mpallet, when I'm testifying in front of my state's legislature next year after them just seeing this idiotic promo video as testimony AGAINST silencers for hunting... I'll be sure to have a snickers and thank Silencerco.
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

i wonder if this video was approved before or after mike pappas left.
Toxarch
Silent Operator

Post by Toxarch »

bani wrote:i wonder if this video was approved before or after mike pappas left.
Maybe this video is why he left. :wink:
1slow01Z71
Silent Operator

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Toxarch wrote:
bani wrote:i wonder if this video was approved before or after mike pappas left.
Maybe this video is why he left. :wink:
I think it had a lot more to do Silencerco's response to 41P and how the others wanted to run the company, but that's just info from a bad game of telephone. You know a he said, she said that he said thing. From what I know of Mike Id be willing to bet he wouldn't(didn't?) approve of this video. This can was designed well before he left so Id bet he had some input on the subject.

Silencer Shop is getting serial number 4 for their demo can and I will be beating on Levi, Mark and Dave to bring it the next time they head to the range. They want to test my phs 338 so maybe I can get them to test the Harvester when we do the testing on my can. Supposedly there is 500 of them being released for the initial batch and should be available in a month or two. The 475-500 bucks price range is WITHOUT a mount. Levi said they will be selling it WITH a mount for somewhere around 600 if I remember right(we talked about a lot). The biggest question I have is just how much muzzle blast makes it out of the brake.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone