Finding an antique unregistered suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finding an antique unregistered suppressor

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

We were asked last week to register a BAR a guy found in the attic of a house repo. After we explained we won't even touch it, the finder gutted for every salvageable part and waterjet cut to pieces the rest. Sad to hear but glad he did the right thing.
It was the legally correct thing to do. But there is nothing "right" about that at all. :cry:
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Armorer-at-Law wrote:
We were asked last week to register a BAR a guy found in the attic of a house repo. After we explained we won't even touch it, the finder gutted for every salvageable part and waterjet cut to pieces the rest. Sad to hear but glad he did the right thing.
It was the legally correct thing to do. But there is nothing "right" about that at all. :cry:
You know what I meant. ;)
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

You know what I meant. ;)
Yes, I did. Just sayin' for the record.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
tootall

Post by tootall »

I hope the Maxim can be donated to a museum... That would make sense.....Oh, never mind... One can hope..
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

The only legal way to keep it from being destroyed would be to take it to a friendly local PD and have them do a form 10 on it . Then find one of the few museums that can accept form 10 items and have the pd either loan it to them or donate it .
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Dunno how relevent this would be, but a while ago I was at the Intrepid Air and Space museum...that's that aircraft carrier in NYC they converted into a museum of military hardware...and they had an example of some extremely rare machine gun back from the 20's sitting in a tank of water on display. The display plaque said the gun was discovered at the bottom of a river, and even though it was all corroded and rusted the ATF it didn't matter; it was still a machine gun and they wanted it destroyed. The museum was able to do some legal derring to have it transferred to them where it was now sitting in a tank of water to prevent any further corrosion in the hopes it could be restored.

I'd think that a museum capable of having captured Iraqi tanks transferred to them and successfully able to fend off the ATF to keep a corroded machine gun should be in a position to take possession of an antique silencer.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

^^ That sort of s--t with the ATF makes my head explode. They could find Dillinger's minty Colt Thompson and still want to cut it up.

History is history, and should be preserved. How many freaking gigantic warehouses are sitting empty this very minute on some of our military bases that could hold historic WW2 arms for perpetuity, rather than destroying them?

It's like the old videos of the USAF in Arizona using chain saws and giant rippers on B-17's, B-29's, P-51's P-38's. I literally almost throw up watching them.

There's ONE case where they need to destroy (it still makes me ill) - some of the old SALT talks required the B-52's in the desert to be cut in half and the pieces left out in the open so the Russian satellites could see them totally inop.

But otherwise, why the hell can't we save history?
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave »

Baffled wrote:^^ That sort of s--t with the ATF makes my head explode. They could find Dillinger's minty Colt Thompson and still want to cut it up.

History is history, and should be preserved. How many freaking gigantic warehouses are sitting empty this very minute on some of our military bases that could hold historic WW2 arms for perpetuity, rather than destroying them?

It's like the old videos of the USAF in Arizona using chain saws and giant rippers on B-17's, B-29's, P-51's P-38's. I literally almost throw up watching them.

There's ONE case where they need to destroy (it still makes me ill) - some of the old SALT talks required the B-52's in the desert to be cut in half and the pieces left out in the open so the Russian satellites could see them totally inop.

But otherwise, why the hell can't we save history?

One word- Democrats.