Finding an antique unregistered suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Finding an antique unregistered suppressor

Post by laxguy59 »

Guy on my home forum has stumbled upon an original Maxim suppressor and doesn't believe it has a tax stamp. What are someone's options in this case?
One of the guys we get cars from bought an old,really old Remington Model 12 pump 22 in Ohio over a year ago. Paid $800 for it AND the cardboard storage tube shown in the pics came with it. So did the contents.

My question here is if he bought it from an individual who bought it from another individual what can be done? I don't know if it was an Amnesty piece or not. And even if it was the paperwork or stamp didn't come with it. The rifle was built sometime in the 20s and the Maxim was fitted to it. I'm sure they were most likely sold at some Western Auto or Sears right over the counter. It HAS to have some collector value being a Maxim and being this old.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finding an antique unregistered suppressor

Post by 57fairlane »

He can keep it as long as he renders it inert. The coolest option is to cut it in half (EDM if possible) but he can also destroy it.

No such thing as a grandfathered NFA item unfortunately.

Tell him to do it ASAP as well . . . nothing like having pictures out there of you with illegal possession of an unregistered silencer. :shock: :mrgreen:
Last edited by 57fairlane on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Odds are that the suppressor needs to be destroyed.
But make sure the cardboard storage tube and any Maxim manuals are saved.
Collectors will want those accessories for sure.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

So there's no way to apply for a tax stamp for it? could a 7/02 "manufacture" it legally? and he could get it back with some new engraving?
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

laxguy59 wrote:So there's no way to apply for a tax stamp for it? could a 7/02 "manufacture" it legally? and he could get it back with some new engraving?
No, that can is radioactive in the eyes of the ATF right now.

Manufacturer cannot legally serialize it . . . the old Gem-tax scandal killed that.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

The can needs to be destroyed if it isn't properly registered it is illegal contraband and would warrant the same penalty as having a modern unregistered silencer.

Keep the cardboard tube and paperwork those are a awesome pice of history.

An 07/02 can't take an illegal item, register it, its illegal. We were asked last week to register a BAR a guy found in the attic of a house repo. After we explained we won't even touch it, the finder gutted for every salvageable part and waterjet cut to pieces the rest. Sad to hear but glad he did the right thing.

In the past the ATF has deemed EDM'd in half cans as silencers still, just like cutaway guns are still guns. Seen both sides of the coin so better off crunching it into a pancake.

Fairlane - The GemTax scandal didn't kill it, you couldn't register a contraband item before GemTax either. If it is not registered then its illegal, no if ands or buts. Only way it could be saved is if there were an amnesty and we all know the likelihood of that happening while we are alive.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

what maxim suppressor?
07/02 behind enemy lines
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Grounded wrote:what maxim suppressor?
:shock: Did you really just say that?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Bendersquint wrote: In the past the ATF has deemed EDM'd in half cans as silencers still, just like cutaway guns are still guns.
That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A half a destroyed silencer is still a silencer, just plain stupid. All this history thrown away at the whim of some unelected paper pusher.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

chrismartin wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: In the past the ATF has deemed EDM'd in half cans as silencers still, just like cutaway guns are still guns.
That's probably the stupidest thing I've ever heard. A half a destroyed silencer is still a silencer, just plain stupid. All this history thrown away at the whim of some unelected paper pusher.
Agreed, just like a silencer with a hug gaping hole through the side of it and not safe to be fired is still a silencer.

From what I was told they are classified as "silencer parts" once EDM'd.

If they weren't that could be a pretty cool market to create silencer cutaways for collectors etc...
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

I believe an option may exist for it to be donated to a museum. I would explore that before it is destroyed.
MrM2hb

Post by MrM2hb »

What a shame, a piece of history.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Bendersquint wrote:In the past the ATF has deemed EDM'd in half cans as silencers still, just like cutaway guns are still guns. Seen both sides of the coin so better off crunching it into a pancake.
Heck, I've seen probably 30+ EDM/cutaway silencers and in major manufacturers as well.

I've seen cutaway Maxims, cutaway hush puppies, and other un-serialized/never registered parts.

From reading your posts over time, you definitely err on the side of over-compliance which is more often than not a good thing especially if you don't have the time or resources to deal with the ATF. However, I've seen enough cutaways out there that people weren't hiding and were in public places that the ATF should have already gone after these people if it were that big a deal. The pancake option is indeed the ultimate liability killer I just don't see it needing to be done provided the silencer cannot be mounted on any firearm and doesn't provide suppression.
Bendersquint wrote:Fairlane - The GemTax scandal didn't kill it, you couldn't register a contraband item before GemTax either. If it is not registered then its illegal, no if ands or buts. Only way it could be saved is if there were an amnesty and we all know the likelihood of that happening while we are alive.
I probably didn't use the correct terminology here as it was a little before my time. The AAC re-serializing of a Gemtech serial number on a M4-2000 is what brought the ATF down on these type of shenanigans.

I know that most manufacturers were "cleaning" sealed silencers by destroying the old one and sending a new one out with the same information at least as late as 2006.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

CThomas wrote:I believe an option may exist for it to be donated to a museum. I would explore that before it is destroyed.

I think this is viable. I've heard of old unregistered MGs going safely to museums. I don't know what's involved, but he better do something quick. By posting the picture and asking the question online he chose the worst possible way to find out the answer to his question. He might be able to hook a museum up with this item, but the most likely best case scenario is the packaging doesn't get destroyed. Had he investigated it smarter, he might have been able to get the answers he needed and take the time to set up the donation to a museum. Now that the whole interwebz knows he's holding a felony, time is running against him.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

I would never do this... it's a really bad idea... and illegal... just imagination at work.

2" PVC tube, 2 end caps, and a shovel. You never know, maybe in 100 years there'll be an amnesty. Too historic to destroy. It's like chopping up a Walker Colt or an original Henry rifle.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Baffled wrote:I would never do this... it's a really bad idea... and illegal... just imagination at work.

2" PVC tube, 2 end caps, and a shovel. You never know, maybe in 100 years there'll be an amnesty. Too historic to destroy. It's like chopping up a Walker Colt or an original Henry rifle.
That's how the british stumble on great "stockpiles" of ammo (10 rounds) in ponds and enfields/stens/etc in walls :mrgreen:
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

So I found this antique lawnmower muffler in my neighbor's shed....
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

...Which would have been a viable solution BEFORE he posted online.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jlwilliams wrote:...Which would have been a viable solution BEFORE he posted online.
And if the silencer didn't bear the engraving "Maxim Silencer Co".
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Bendersquint wrote:
Grounded wrote:what maxim suppressor?
:shock: Did you really just say that?
:wink: Course im only half serious. I would have to have someone destroy it when I wasn't looking because that is literally a piece of american history that should be preserved. I have the same feelings about torched receivers.
07/02 behind enemy lines
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

Bendersquint wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:...Which would have been a viable solution BEFORE he posted online.
And if the silencer didn't bear the engraving "Maxim Silencer Co".
Say what!!! I just form 1'd this great can modeled after the original! built it in my tool shed!
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Destroying that is like hearing about the warehouse full of WW2 Thompsons in the U.K. that are being melted for scrap. Or, the 100,000 Grease Guns and BAR's still NIW in Army storage that will never see the light of day. :cry:
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Whether it is cool NFA, or HS teachers that put out, it seems the current generation of males just does not know how to STFU. Your loss!
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

renegade wrote:Whether it is cool NFA, or HS teachers that put out, it seems the current generation of males just does not know how to STFU. Your loss!
+10!

You said it all.

Old Southie expression of the 1940's:

"You show me yours, I sure as hell will not show you mine." :) :)
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

At my old job, we had acquired a lot of retired HK MP5's, MP5SD's and MP5k's and a pair of HK 33 with consecutive serial numbers from a Local County Sheriff's dept for destruction. We had to cut the receivers per ATF rule. I felt the same way
"Why would anyone want to destroy a piece of history!? Greatest subgun EVAR!! "

But first we completely whore'd them
No old printer or Barney stuffed animal was safe that week.

We had a old curio and relic single shot 14" Barreled 22short Gallery gun come in the same way the Maxim did. Grandson found it when family passed away.
The Gunshop I worked at helped with the paperwork.

As for a Maxim Suppressor - +1 on the Museum idea.
I'm sure if you spoke to a few Curators, and few ATF offices, they might be able to help you. Try offices in other states.