AAC at SHOT

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Re: AAC at SHOT

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

This !

Conqueror wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:
wacki wrote:Yes. But only dogs and bats can hear it.

Shorter = higher frequency
Longer = lower frequency

Partially being cute, but the scientific rules are relevant.
Still, this is really cool tech and bravo to aac.
Why not add a flat baffle on the end?
Would help redirect more discharge gas through the prongs and all connected at tips to prevent harmonic resonance.
Because that would actually reduce the flash suppression and is substantially more prone to erosion (see: Phantom-style silencer mounts).
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
aries14482 wrote:Originally, there was talk about putting the serial number pm the Ranger 3's rear-most part and using a sort of sectional design to allow for future repairs without the hassle and wait of a new stamp.

The new Ranger 3 pictured above seems to show the serial number on the forward section.

Can anyone comment on this or offer more details about the changes to the Ranger 3 since we last saw a rendition of it?
The ATF does not approve of this. They even changed the FAQ page for silencers after we ask this about the Ranger 3.

Read here http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nationa ... cer-repair

" May a Federal Firearms Licensee repair a silencer by replacing worn or damaged components?
A person who is licensed under the Gun Control Act (GCA) to manufacture firearms and who has paid the special (occupational) tax to manufacture National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms may replace a component part or parts of a silencer. Repairs may not be done if they result in removal, obliteration, or alteration of the serial number, as this would violate 18 U.S.C. § 922(k). If a silencer part bearing the serial number, other than the outer tube, must be replaced, the new part must be marked with the same serial number as the replacement part.
The term “repair” does not include replacement of the outer tube of the silencer. The outer tube is the largest single part of the silencer, the main structural component of the silencer, and is the part to which all other component parts are attached. The replacement of the outer tube is so significant an event that it amounts to the “making” of a new silencer. As such, the new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.
In the event that identical replacement parts for a silencer are not available, new and different component parts may be used as long as the silencer retains the same dimensions and caliber. In addition, the repair may result in a minimal reduction in the length of the outer tube due to rethreading, but repair may not increase the length of the outer tube. Increasing the length of the outer tube significantly affects the performance of the silencer and results in the “making” of a new silencer. As stated above, a new silencer must be marked, registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA. Reducing the length of the tube by a minimal amount in order to repair a silencer is often necessary to replace damaged end caps, as the tube must be rethreaded. Such minimal reduction of the length of the tube uses all of the original parts, does not significantly affect performance of the silencer, and may be done as part of a repair process without making a new silencer.
Persons other than qualified manufacturers may repair silencers, but replacement parts are “silencers” as defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24) that must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and GCA.

So, even if the tube is not the serialized part of the silencer... If the tube needs replaced the can is dead and a new $200 tax and form 4 transfer is needed. :shock:
So how would this affect companies like Huntertown Arms that have the smaller section of the tube serialized but the main portion of the suppressor just attaches to it ?
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

zach h wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote:So, even if the tube is not the serialized part of the silencer... If the tube needs replaced the can is dead and a new $200 tax and form 4 transfer is needed. :shock:
So how would this affect companies like Huntertown Arms that have the smaller section of the tube serialized but the main portion of the suppressor just attaches to it ?
Don't ask how the sausage is made. Just wink and nod, and ride the wave.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

zach h wrote:...
Don't have the answer but I think the new HK thingamabob with some parts serialized and some parts not depending on what options you picked when you bought it will be an interesting contraption to regulate once in the wild.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Imma417

Post by Imma417 »

Hey guys I am a noob to the sight, as well as suppressors. I have been doing a lot of research on purchasing my first suppressor. I am really interested in the new 556-SD, but my question is, is the DB difference from the m42k that noticeable between the two? Also, I am looking at the Blackout 51t flash hider and the Brakeout 51T compensator. Which one should I get if I end up getting the 556-SD. If there is anymore information that you can provide for me, that would be awesome!

Thanx,
-Noob
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Imma417 wrote:Hey guys I am a noob to the sight, as well as suppressors. I have been doing a lot of research on purchasing my first suppressor. I am really interested in the new 556-SD, but my question is, is the DB difference from the m42k that noticeable between the two? Also, I am looking at the Blackout 51t flash hider and the Brakeout 51T compensator. Which one should I get if I end up getting the 556-SD. If there is anymore information that you can provide for me, that would be awesome!

Thanx,
-Noob
Short answer is No. Most of the noise when shooting a suppressed AR will be ejection port noise (loud), action noise (pretty loud), and bullet flight noise (surprisingly loud).

You should definitely see/hear/shoot some suppressed ARs beforehand so you have realistic expectations.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Imma417

Post by Imma417 »

JasonM wrote:
Imma417 wrote:Hey guys I am a noob to the sight, as well as suppressors. I have been doing a lot of research on purchasing my first suppressor. I am really interested in the new 556-SD, but my question is, is the DB difference from the m42k that noticeable between the two? Also, I am looking at the Blackout 51t flash hider and the Brakeout 51T compensator. Which one should I get if I end up getting the 556-SD. If there is anymore information that you can provide for me, that would be awesome!

Thanx,
-Noob
Short answer is No. Most of the noise when shooting a suppressed AR will be ejection port noise (loud), action noise (pretty loud), and bullet flight noise (surprisingly loud).

You should definitely see/hear/shoot some suppressed ARs beforehand so you have realistic expectations.
Alright thanks. I have watched a lot of videos, I have been trying to find a comparison video between the two and have come up empty handed. I live in Moore, Oklahoma if anyone knows where I could go shoot a couple suppressed ARs.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Imma417 wrote:
JasonM wrote:

Thanx,
-Noob

Alright thanks. I have watched a lot of videos, I have been trying to find a comparison video between the two and have come up empty handed. I live in Moore, Oklahoma if anyone knows where I could go shoot a couple suppressed ARs.
Videos, especially web videos are a terrible way to get an idea of a can's sound, never mind compare.

for demos, here's a start-
http://www.silencerforum.com/82-oklahoma.html

and http://www.advanced-armament.com/Dealer ... ep_40.html
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Imma417

Post by Imma417 »

Yea I noticed the videos don't seem to do it justice. Thanks for the links. I will probably check a couple of these places out today. They aren't too far from me.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

BT8624

Post by BT8624 »

silencertalk wrote:I don't see how. It is braced.

The Blackout flash suppressor is still best if you want the very best flash suppression and the lowest noise. This does not need timing. No shims.

The BrakeOut2 is best if you want the best recoil reduction (equal to the best AAC dedicated brake) as well as flash suppression, and want to reduce erosion of silencer baffles. This does not need timing. No shims.

A normal muzzle brake is best if you want the rifle for states that ban flash suppressors (the BrakeOut2 counts as a flash suppressor as you can see from the photo). Needs shims.

I'd like to see a comparison between the original BrakeOut and the BrakeOut2