Lone Survivor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Stephens

Lone Survivor

Post by Stephens »

So I just watched Lone Survivor and they had suppressors on their M-16 and M4's. Can anyone identify what type or brand they had?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lone Survivor

Post by doubloon »

Try here

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor

ETA: looks like they got the guns but not the suppressors but at least there are pics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Stephens

Post by Stephens »

Thanks, pretty cool link about the movie. Too bad they didn't post anything about what type of suppressors they had.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Ops inc or Allen eng. mk12 were put together by High Caliber Sales.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

The can on the M4 didn't seem like a real device to me. Seemed too "round" or something. Can't put my finger on what it was. Perhaps subconsciously I recognized it didn't have any markings whatsoever. No SN, caliber, etc.

I couldn't get a feel for the sound of it either... to assess if the audio was realistic. I probably should watch it again...

The film was shot in New Mexico. Possession of suppressors is lawful in NM. I would assume it is more than likely a fake can in every way in order to avoid any and all compliance required if it was a real NFA item. They couldn't even have a tube made with no core without violating NFA regs, right?
-----
Ick
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

I never saw any cans on the M4's. What they had were 2 MK12's and 2 M4's. Marcus and Axe had MK12's, and those are Ops Inc 12th suppressors. Murphy and Dietz had M4's without suppressors. Other scenes may have shown MK18's which use KAC NT4's. If you're interested, here is a link to Matt Axelson's photo library from Afghanistan.

http://www.mattaxelson.com/album/afghanistan/index.html
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

That settles that! Good link.
-----
Ick
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

As good as they were with getting the weapons right in that movie I was surprised to see a Beretta M9. In 2005 the SEALs had Sig P226's. Not that it takes away from the film though. They did an incredible job.
WhiteDingo

Post by WhiteDingo »

ick wrote:The can on the M4 didn't seem like a real device to me. Seemed too "round" or something. Can't put my finger on what it was. Perhaps subconsciously I recognized it didn't have any markings whatsoever. No SN, caliber, etc.

I couldn't get a feel for the sound of it either... to assess if the audio was realistic. I probably should watch it again...

The film was shot in New Mexico. Possession of suppressors is lawful in NM. I would assume it is more than likely a fake can in every way in order to avoid any and all compliance required if it was a real NFA item. They couldn't even have a tube made with no core without violating NFA regs, right?
Having worked in the movie gun industry, I can tell you that they probably used low flash/noise blanks with dummy "cans" on the ends (solid aluminum with a through hole and appropriate threads). We did some testing with full flash Hollywood blanks and B&T .45 suppressors and found that while they did suppress OK, you still ended up with a lot of flash and a fairly significant amount of erosion from all the extra burning gasses.
I'm not saying that they did this for sure, but it would make the most sense from a money standpoint as a dummy suppressor is quicker/easier to replace.
Generally speaking, we saved the real suppressors for live fire shoots for Foley sound, on screen close ups and reality TV.

They cut the scene from the film, but I built two solid reflex style "cans" for the most recent Mission Impossible film. I think you can still see them in the train car on the wall. We had dummy cans to replicate the Surefire Legacy series cans, some Gemtechs, OPS Inc., and even a Osprey-esque pistol can. Most of the ones we used we just generic tubes that threaded into the internal muzzle threads that were used for bore constriction (to run the gun with blanks)
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Nice. Great info. I wondered how it was done.
-----
Ick
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

doubloon wrote:Try here

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor

ETA: looks like they got the guns but not the suppressors but at least there are pics
doubloon......Thanks for that link.....had to go check out some of the other flicks. 8)
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

I was pleasantly surprised when they had first contact and The first suppressed shot sounded spot on!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

I Enjoyed it along with the Woman. Surprisingly, my pacifist vegetarian Father loved it too!

PM if you need a link for movie times
Last edited by kassenz on Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

twodollarbill wrote:...
doubloon......Thanks for that link.....had to go check out some of the other flicks. 8)
NP, it's decent gun info and I've rarely seen anything wrong.

They don't always get all the guns and I was surprised to see they didn't have suppressor info on that movie but I actually don't recall if they have suppressor info for other movies either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
clark4283

Post by clark4283 »

bigbigpig wrote:As good as they were with getting the weapons right in that movie I was surprised to see a Beretta M9. In 2005 the SEALs had Sig P226's. Not that it takes away from the film though. They did an incredible job.
I believe in the book he states his sidearm is a Beretta. It has been awhile since I've read it so I could be mistaken.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

kassenz wrote:Go to the movie theater and support the film
Or,
- if you have 90 mins to kill, and don't mind breaking the law in the USA,
Click here ------>...
Yikes! ST is saturated with reminders that obeying the letter and intent of the law regarding the NFA is crucial, with many members even going so far as to refuse conversation (at least polite conversation) with those who might be suggesting doing something illegal, and here's a member with 220 posts under his belt suggesting watching a streaming video (I checked and it is the movie in question, and reasonably high quality too) which is in violation of the DMCA and could have the MPAA team of lawyers knocking on your door. The irony is rich with this one.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

WhiteDingo wrote:
ick wrote:The can on the M4 didn't seem like a real device to me. Seemed too "round" or something. Can't put my finger on what it was. Perhaps subconsciously I recognized it didn't have any markings whatsoever. No SN, caliber, etc.

Having worked in the movie gun industry, I can tell you that they probably used low flash/noise blanks with dummy "cans" on the ends (solid aluminum with a through hole and appropriate threads). We did some testing with full flash Hollywood blanks and B&T .45 suppressors and found that while they did suppress OK, you still ended up with a lot of flash and a fairly significant amount of erosion from all the extra burning gasses.
I'm not saying that they did this for sure, but it would make the most sense from a money standpoint as a dummy suppressor is quicker/easier to replace.
Generally speaking, we saved the real suppressors for live fire shoots for Foley sound, on screen close ups and reality TV.

They cut the scene from the film, but I built two solid reflex style "cans" for the most recent Mission Impossible film. I think you can still see them in the train car on the wall. We had dummy cans to replicate the Surefire Legacy series cans, some Gemtechs, OPS Inc., and even a Osprey-esque pistol can. Most of the ones we used we just generic tubes that threaded into the internal muzzle threads that were used for bore constriction (to run the gun with blanks)

I have seen some of those 'hollywood' guns. Some have integral BFA barrels, which also serve as a safety to prevent any accidents which have plagued a certain martial arts super star family.

The handguns are where they get somewhat tricky, as most all are recoil operated. Many times they simply install lighter springs, and modified barrels.

In some movies you can see the 'fancy' blanks where the rosette crimp gets some copper color paint to look much like a real round.

Personally I can't do this movie. Between minor details pissing me off when hollywood screws them up, to when hollywood actually does something right and it screws with my head and I lose several nights' sleep...
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

One of the M4s on the MattAxelson site was fitted with a KAC QDSS-NT4 can. Not unusual for Team use. Not intended for max suppression ... but quite robust.
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Saw that too... 2 pics with a suppressed M4 and Luttrell had it in both. However, in the Op detailed in the book and movie none of the M4's had suppressors as it was told.