Using shims to time 51t brake

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

Using shims to time 51t brake

Post by doubleajaybrock »

Can you use too many shims to set the time? I have a PWS Mk110 mod1 (556) and I ended up needing to use some of the timing shims that came with the the upper the they used to time there Triad flash hider along with some of the AAC shims to set the timing and space it out a little to clear the rail. Is having the shims stacked .130" thick potentially cause any issues?

Last edited by doubleajaybrock on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Re: Using shims to time 51t brake

Post by Grounded »

That seems like a ton. I had to used about .025" or so to time mine. Is it because it won't thread down far enough? How about chasing the thread to let it thread on further. A pic would be worth a 1000 words here.
07/02 behind enemy lines
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

I've already trimmed a little off the lower portion of the rail and don't real want to have to trim more unless it is really necessary.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

doubleajaybrock wrote:I've already trimmed a little off the lower portion of the rail and don't real want to have to trim more unless it is really necessary.

Doesn't look too bad. As long as the shoulder is square your good.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

In theory you could stack shims to the moon without problems, in reality it's hard to predict. Each washer adds a bit of error, either from inaccuracy in the shims themselves or from debris trapped between them. And depending on alignment errors could either cancel each other out or add up. A single shim of the correct thickness would be better, but as long as it's a permanent setup and the brake/can aligns up correctly I think you're good to go.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

I believe AAC recommends no more than 2 shims(might be 3).
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

If those are all shims ans not washers from the hardware store you are good to go

Torque the mess out of it as you want all of the shims to be FLAT.

FYI a better way to do this is to email me and I will send you a pack of the thickest shim we make... that way you will only have 3-4 shims

[email protected]
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

1_ar_newbie wrote:If those are all shims ans not washers from the hardware store you are good to go

Torque the mess out of it as you want all of the shims to be FLAT.

FYI a better way to do this is to email me and I will send you a pack of the thickest shim we make... that way you will only have 3-4 shims

[email protected]

Thanks Mike! Email sent.

Aaron
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

You want to have as much threading in contact as possible thus you want to use the minimal amount of shims possible to obtain proper clockinh/timing.

As others have said a shim made for this purpose should be rather precise and theoretically one could stack them 5" and be fine (if you had enough threading). I use the minimal amount because the less thread engagement you have the more stress that is place on those threads. With a properly threaded barrel you should have over 90% thread engagement. You want at least about 80% otherwise you are creating excess stress in the threads on the barrel . This can result in catastrophic failure.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

AAC makes a blackout and brake that positions the teeth forward a few mm. If you're really concerned about alignment, that might be the way to go.

Or is that only for the .30 mount?
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

beanfield33 wrote:AAC makes a blackout and brake that positions the teeth forward a few mm. If you're really concerned about alignment, that might be the way to go.

Or is that only for the .30 mount?

That's the 30 cal.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

We'll, I wasn't happy with all the shims so I broke out the grinder and got to work.

-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Thats probably the best/safest way to go... and what I would have done myself.

I prefer brakes over flash hiders when it comes to suppressor mounts. I RARELY shoot without a can. I want my cans to last and have found with brakes cans look newer far longer as far as baffle erosion go. Especially on short barrels brakes are known to increase suppressor life.

Performance wise I would love to see some testing with the same host and can with a brake and a flash hider (and possibly direct thread with a can like the saker) to check if there is a performance difference. I know first hand with 300 BLK there is a tone difference brakes giving a bit deeper tone. Of cpurse this varies with host caliber and can.

The one thing that is known is brakes act as a sacrificial blast baffle, this shines the most in short barrel high pressure calibers. Brakes do wear albeit slowly except in short barrels, and is noticeable on high round count weapons.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I really don't understand why anyone wants their can as absolutely close as possible.

I want no less than .5" in there. I have a full inch on my 12.5" and it's convenient to get the can on and off. ESP on a can like an AAC or SF where there is a latch to depress.
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

este wrote:I really don't understand why anyone wants their can as absolutely close as possible.

I want no less than .5" in there. I have a full inch on my 12.5" and it's convenient to get the can on and off. ESP on a can like an AAC or SF where there is a latch to depress.
That's how the rail came on the upper.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Fulmen wrote:In theory you could stack shims to the moon without problems, in reality it's hard to predict. Each washer adds a bit of error, either from inaccuracy in the shims themselves or from debris trapped between them. And depending on alignment errors could either cancel each other out or add up. A single shim of the correct thickness would be better, but as long as it's a permanent setup and the brake/can aligns up correctly I think you're good to go.
you must be an engineer or machinist or both :mrgreen:
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

What gave me away? :?: