Subsonic 9mm ammo??

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Subsonic 9mm ammo??

Post by eastern_hunter »

Any recommendations for commercial 147 gr 9mm HP ammo that will stay subsonic in a 10" bbl?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic 9mm ammo??

Post by TROOPER »

Winchester White Box - typically called WWB - stays subsonic in my CX4 Storm. I've had similar luck with American Eagle 147. I have wondered in the past if this is due to the CX4 Storm's action being straight blow-back. But honestly... I think the stuff stays subsonic because 9mm just doesn't gain much from a longer barrel.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Any hp ammo?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have used Silver bear and it's VERY quiet , however they have steel case and jacket and the HPs don't work. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEcsdZBIXN ... EcsdZBIXN4

Very cheap but after 9mm went to $10 a box I now load for it and never look back!

Is this for self defense ? If so don't worry about stupid quiet and use the best.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

I've never really tried shooting 9mm HP through a can. Are you trying to hunt 9mm without earpro or something?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

WWB is just a brand - it can be had in both FMJ as well as JHP. The WWB I bought is all JHP. Still sitting on 21 boxes of it because I got it for $11.99 per at Wal-Mart, of all places. I've fired Remington Golden Sabre at 147 as well as Hornady Critical Defense. Same thing -- all stayed subsonic. I even fired some 115 gr just to be sure.

I rarely shoot the JHP for fun because of cost, but those times that I did use the Hornady or the Golden Sabre, it was against either deer, cats, or dog. It always works. It isn't fancy, but since it's made to expand at low velocity, you always get a reasonable-to-good wound channel. The deer run about 30-40 yards and bulldoze with a double-lung. The cats just drop. A coyote just dropped too.

I estimate it was about 50 yards. It was dark, but the eyes shone, so I put the crosshairs between the eyes. 9mm is way under-rated.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

300 BLK suppressed if good for rifle sized CQB instrument.

For 9mm handgun what projectiles work well suppressed?

SIG Mk25 feeds Speer 147 gr Gold Dot fine ... and is decently quiet. Are there others?

Cannot compare 45 ACP yet as Octane 45s not out of jail thought should clear any day now.
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

I know first hand Winchester pdx1 in 7" bbl is averaging 1025fps and in a glock 19 (4" bbl) averaged 978 fps.

Others I have has similar results:
Hornady custom 147 grain
Speer 147 grain gold dot.

Not sure on anything over 9" but I know the other 2 types stayed subsonic in a buddies 9mm AR pistol
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

eastern_hunter wrote:300 BLK suppressed if good for rifle sized CQB instrument.

For 9mm handgun what projectiles work well suppressed?

SIG Mk25 feeds Speer 147 gr Gold Dot fine ... and is decently quiet. Are there others?

Cannot compare 45 ACP yet as Octane 45s not out of jail thought should clear any day now.
The 147 Speer Gold Dots are excellent.

Others that are proven performers are Federal's HST 147gr, and Winchester Ranger-T 147gr.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

I haven't found any 9mm above 145 gr that goes supersonic in either my Glock 34 or 10" UZi SMG. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough. 147 gr WWB seems to work in all of my suppressed application just fine. But I've taken to loading 155 gr ball to just 1025 fps out of the glock 34 and it stays right there in the Uzi also.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Anyone try the following:
ZEV 124gr, 1080fps: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5 ... ?a=1545200
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

seattlite wrote:Anyone try the following:
ZEV 124gr, 1080fps: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5 ... ?a=1545200
Don't count on that being subsonic. The only 124gr subsonic ammo out there are the new Federals:

http://federalpremium.com/products/deta ... px?id=1030
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

IICC, Industry std. for 9mm 147 grain projectiles is slightly above 1k fps. I believe that loading is with quick burning powder reducing the barrel length factor.

I've got some factory Winchester White Box that is reliably sub sonic out of a Sig 226 and a 5"(?) barreled AR.

Having said that, most of my shooting on those platforms is with 124/147gn reloads that chrony slightly less than 1k in warm weather. When we do the 9mm loading it's a couple of day effort in bulk. Believe we used W231 powder.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

I only shoot 9mm in a Thurion Defense 16" with suppressor and the only thing that stays sub is the Fiocchi 158.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Winchester White Box 147gr JHP goes supersonic in my MP5 (8" bbl), but stays subsonic in my Glock 17.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

tsands974 wrote:Winchester White Box 147gr JHP goes supersonic in my MP5 (8" bbl), but stays subsonic in my Glock 17.
I don't understand this. The WWB is rated at ~960 FPS from a pistol... it's hard to believe that it's gaining ~200 feet from more barrel. I guess my Storm's straight blow-back is opening prematurely and keeping 147 subsonic.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

You sure that's not 990fps?

If you're sure about the 960fps what barrel length is it for?

Going from a 4" barrel to a 8" barrel will make a ~100fps difference ... 960 -> 1060

ETA: when I had my SBX-ish 9mm the only thing I could guarantee subsonic out of the 12"ish barrel was 158gr slugs.

EATA: According to ballistics by the inch Federal HydraShok 147gr will run out at around 1049fps from a CX4 16" barrel but 1086fps from a KelTec 2000 16" barrel and 1037fps from a Sig P210 6" barrel ... pretty large spread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:
tsands974 wrote:Winchester White Box 147gr JHP goes supersonic in my MP5 (8" bbl), but stays subsonic in my Glock 17.
I don't understand this. The WWB is rated at ~960 FPS from a pistol... it's hard to believe that it's gaining ~200 feet from more barrel. I guess my Storm's straight blow-back is opening prematurely and keeping 147 subsonic.
This stuff is what firmly puts my understanding of ammo/platform/barrel length/temperature, in the "it's magic" realm, relative performance of a specific round.

I've become comfortable with this position.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

Post by firstsgtsteiner »