Can't decide on a 30cal can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mioduz
Silent Operator

Can't decide on a 30cal can

Post by mioduz »

I'm ususally quite decisive, but having issues pulling the trigger on a 30 cal can.
I am building a PDW style ar15 in 300blackout with a collapsing stock and side charging upper (think hk style). Planned on 10.5" barrel but could go shorter.
Main Priority is lightweight and overall small size. Secondary priority is noise.
BONUS
I have a rem 700 5r in 300wm that i never shoot mostly because it beats the hell outa me, and having a can that could possibly make that more pleasant is a big plus
Also have precision bolt guns in 308 and 6.5 creedmoore

Options Ive considered
Liberty Mystic - Price is good but its long, and cant be used on anything else
Surefire Socom 762 Mini - Lightweight, short, but PRICEY and worried about suppression level with such a small can
YHM Ti - I havent heard much good about them and im not a fan of the apearance of their QD brake/flash hider
Specwar - Kinda eliminated this due to the weight and length but ive heard they are hard to beat on sound
sdn-6 - Leading the pack a bit due to it being a bit shorter but its a lil on the heavy side. good price
Thompson Machines Thirty Ti - Light weight, but longer, price is good

Anyone wanna add to the list cause i feel like i am going in circles.

Maybe I am asking for too much out of one can!
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: Can't decide on a 30cal can

Post by jdasilva »

Have you looked at the Silencerco Harvester? Its 11.3oz & 300wm rated. plus msrp of $750. silencer shop will probably sell it for less once they get them in. it is long though because it has a built in recoil brake.
http://www.silencerco.com/products/#/harvester/

I have the specwar 762 & i love it!
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Sounds like 300 BLK is your main gun with the 308 precision close behind. Length is a big factor for you. If I were you I'd only consider these two cans:

http://libertycans.net/centerfire-rifle ... s/chaotic/

And the new 7.62 saker.

You will likely buy another can. No matter how hard you resist. So just buy for you primary gun or the gun you shoot the most.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

When did Thompson announce a Ti can? It's not on their website.
Last edited by wacki on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Thread on.... any good can that meets your needs. For the size you are looking for, they'll all be about the same.

QD... Only Surefire Socom (762Mini for your needs) or Silencerco Saker762.

But I'd be curious how many mini cans take 300wm. I'm fairly certain the SF does, not sure about any others.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

este wrote:Thread on.... any good can that meets your needs. For the size you are looking for, they'll all be about the same..
How so? Nothing out there (from a well known company) is like the Chaotic.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Just finished a suppressed-only 300 BLK SBR. Used a CMMG 8.5" bbl w pistol position gas system. I opened the gas port to 0.120".

Used a TROS 3 lug adapter to 5/8x24 ... just clears the end of a YMH light rail. An Octane 9HD will live there.

Have not shot it too much yet because we've been having snow and wind chill warnings. Using handloaded 225 gr Hornady OTMs the SBR cycles fine and is decently short. Is right at the same length as a 16" M4.

The 300 BLK is not a loud cartridge to begin with ... and the Octane 9HD does pretty well. The SBR/Octane 9HD not the "Hollywood quiet" I enjoy with a 16" 300 BLK and a 30 caliber SAS Ti Arbiter can but is easily quiet enough for role for which it was intended.

BTW: The recently available IMI plastic mags work nicely with the 300 BLK.
mioduz
Silent Operator

Post by mioduz »

I think the Surefire mini might be where my mind is taking me.

Anyone have any input on the suppressed sound of the mini out of a 8-10". Subs and super sonic loads?
Furyataurus2.0

Post by Furyataurus2.0 »

Can't go wrong with YHM QD Titanium 7.62 as I love mine.

Rated for 300 magnums, weighs 15oz, and mine cost $850 from silencer shop.

You don't like the "appearance"??? What the hell is this a beauty contest??? It works, period. Besides I shoot suppressed all the time now.

That surefire socom 7.62mini isn't magnum rated.
Be a fountain, not a drain
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

mioduz wrote:I'm ususally quite decisive, but having issues pulling the trigger on a 30 cal can.
I am building a PDW style ar15 in 300blackout with a collapsing stock and side charging upper (think hk style). Planned on 10.5" barrel but could go shorter.
Main Priority is lightweight and overall small size. Secondary priority is noise.
BONUS
I have a rem 700 5r in 300wm that i never shoot mostly because it beats the hell outa me, and having a can that could possibly make that more pleasant is a big plus

Options Ive considered
Surefire Socom 762 Mini - Lightweight, short, but PRICEY and worried about suppression level with such a small can
YHM Ti - I havent heard much good about them and im not a fan of the apearance of their QD brake/flash hider
Specwar - Kinda eliminated this due to the weight and length but ive heard they are hard to beat on sound
sdn-6 - Leading the pack a bit due to it being a bit shorter but its a lil on the heavy side. good price

CMMG upper is 8.5", AAC upper is 9". I'd go shorter than 10.5. That lets you use a better suppressor than a "shorty" and keeps your overall length the same.
The Gemtech Sandstorm at 13.5 oz. should certainly meet your weight priority. When mounted on my CMMG upper the overall length(7.8") is still 1/2" shorter than any of my 16" uppers. It's only rated for 308 so it won't help for your 300WM.
Last edited by dtom29 on Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

eastern_hunter wrote:Just finished a suppressed-only 300 BLK SBR. Used a CMMG 8.5" bbl w pistol position gas system. I opened the gas port to 0.120".Used a TROS 3 lug adapter to 5/8x24 ... just clears the end of a YMH light rail. An Octane 9HD will live there.

Have not shot it too much yet because we've been having snow and wind chill warnings. Using handloaded 225 gr Hornady OTMs the SBR cycles fine and is decently short. Is right at the same length as a 16" M4.

The 300 BLK is not a loud cartridge to begin with ... and the Octane 9HD does pretty well. The SBR/Octane 9HD not the "Hollywood quiet" I enjoy with a 16" 300 BLK and a 30 caliber SAS Ti Arbiter can but is easily quiet enough for role for which it was intended.

BTW: The recently available IMI plastic mags work nicely with the 300 BLK.
Why did you open the gas port? I have the CMMG 8.5 upper and it cycles sub's with and without my suppressor without having to change anything.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

dtom29 wrote:
mioduz wrote:I'm ususally quite decisive, but having issues pulling the trigger on a 30 cal can.
BONUS

Options Ive considered

CMMG upper is 8.5", AAC upper is 9". I'd go shorter than 10.5. That lets you use a better suppressor than a "shorty" and keeps your overall length the same.
The Gemtech Sandstorm at 13.5 oz. should certainly meet your weight priority. When mounted on my CMMG upper the overall length(7.8") is still 1/2" shorter than any of my 16" uppers. It's only rated for 308 so it won't help for your 300WM.

d- he's talking 300BLK on that short gun, right? the 10" rule doesn't apply to 300. AAC will warranty down to 6.5" i think. 9" or 8" is an excellent performer in 300BLK.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I recently tried out a few 30 cal thunder beast arm's cans and ended up buying the 30pss for my 8.2" 300blk sbr. I believe it is currently the shortest and lightest thread-on can out there.

However, I wouldn't run supersonic rounds through it...

Also, I have the YHM ti 5.56. IMHO, having cans from several manufacturers, their mount is by far my favorite...