Issue with Silencerco Trfecta flash hider and PWS barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Issue with Silencerco Trfecta flash hider and PWS barrel

Post by dan9591 »

I have an issue that is leading me to question all I know about AR’s as well as my sanity…

I cannot install a standard ½ x 28 Silencerco Trifecta flash on my PWS barrel! As soon as I start to screw it on, it seizes. I don’t want to force it on or cross thread it, so I stopped.

I took it to a trusted gunsmith and we tried several other trifectas and had the same issue with all of them.

We tried the same trifectas on a Colt barrel and they all went on just fine.

Standard birdcage flash hiders go on the PWS just fine, along with the standard Triad device.

It seems to be a combination of the Trifecta flash hider and the PWS barrel.

I emailed both Silencerco and PWS and both confirm the standard thread of ½ x 28.

For reference, this is the PSW MK107 MOD1 upper: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/view ... ategory=44

I have several other AR’s, all wearing different muzzle devices and have never had an issue like this.

What is going on here? Am I losing my mind?!?!?!?!
ChimeraPrecision
Silent But Deadly

Re: Issue with Silencerco Trfecta flash hider and PWS barrel

Post by ChimeraPrecision »

did your smith run a die of the threads to clean them up?
Keep calm, and suppress on
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Most likely there both right at the edge of interface. The Trifecta is probably on the lower side of spec as AR barrels are usually under sized…way under sized on pitch diameter. This one is probably closer to normal spec and they are just barely interfering. Silencerco holds pretty tight tolerances and that is why all of them are acting the same. It is the barrel. The birdcage is threaded slightly deeper than the Trifectas that you are using, that is why it will fit. The smith can fix this pretty easy in a lathe in about an hour tops…

Dave
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

If you would like to send the upper and Flash hider in to us we can take care of it for you. Email or call me tomorrow and I can get you the info you need to send it in.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I appreciate it Andrew, but I literally just shipped it off to PWS.

I went back to the gunsmith and on PWS’s suggestion, we tried mounting the flash hider on a tap and it went on a fine, but you can really tell the difference between a standard birdcage and the Trifecta. It’s almost like the Trifecta’s grooves are not machined as deep as other flash hiders, which is not a bad thing until you run across a barrel with the same issue.

I think Dave really hit it on the head when he mentioned that both the barrel and the flash hider are at the edge of tolerance. A millimeter off either one at it would probably have fit just fine.

I’ll keep you all updated…
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

dan9591 wrote:I appreciate it Andrew, but I literally just shipped it off to PWS.

I went back to the gunsmith and on PWS’s suggestion, we tried mounting the flash hider on a tap and it went on a fine, but you can really tell the difference between a standard birdcage and the Trifecta. It’s almost like the Trifecta’s grooves are not machined as deep as other flash hiders, which is not a bad thing until you run across a barrel with the same issue.

I think Dave really hit it on the head when he mentioned that both the barrel and the flash hider are at the edge of tolerance. A millimeter off either one at it would probably have fit just fine.

Too bad you didn't have another barrel of the same make/model to test as well... because sometimes even colt produces lemons like the first brand new M4A1 I was issued in the army that was cross threaded from colt.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
BigDave@SMDW,LLC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BigDave@SMDW,LLC »

Pman5KMO wrote:
dan9591 wrote:I appreciate it Andrew, but I literally just shipped it off to PWS.

Too bad you didn't have another barrel of the same make/model to test as well... because sometimes even colt produces lemons like the first brand new M4A1 I was issued in the army that was cross threaded from colt.
This would suck if you had paid your own money for it… Probably didn't help too much with accuracy if I had to guess either.

Dave
http://www.libertycans.net

Dean of "LSU" Liberty Suppressors Underground
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

Bump.

Any update?