Seekins integral.... heatsinks on barrel?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Seekins integral.... heatsinks on barrel?

Post by wacki »

What are the fins on the barrel right in front of the receiver? They look like a heat sink to me:

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/media/c ... side_2.png

http://www.seekinsprecision.com/media/w ... nner-2.jpg
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Re: Seekins integral.... heatsinks on barrel?

Post by ncorry »

Looks like a finned barrel to me, which would basically be the same thing as a heat sink.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

ncorry wrote:Looks like a finned barrel to me, which would basically be the same thing as a heat sink.
Yes. Radiator fins. Works like heatsink in reverse. Transfers heat from barrel to air, rather than soaking up heat.
OP author got the right idea, just slightly different term.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
ncorry wrote:Looks like a finned barrel to me, which would basically be the same thing as a heat sink.
Yes. Radiator fins. Works like heatsink in reverse. Transfers heat from barrel to air, rather than soaking up heat.
Well technically they ARE a heatsink. The point of a heatsink is to absorb heat from a mass, in this case the barrel, and dissipate it. In this case into the atmosphere.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Those aren't even remotely uncommon, and frankly, I've wondered in the past why they weren't applied to firearms the way they are RELIGIOUSLY applied to electric RC Helicopter main motors.

I've also wondered if someone could engineer an AR bolt to work the way the Spectre M4 did. Its bolt compressed and blew air between the barrel and barrel shroud to keep it cool through extended strings of fire.

It probably wouldn't be very quiet, but next to an unsuppressed AR, it probably wouldn't add any noticeable noise.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Will_M wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:
Well technically they ARE a heatsink. The point of a heatsink is to absorb heat from a mass, in this case the barrel, and dissipate it. In this case into the atmosphere.
You are entirely correct. Thanks for illuminating me. :)

Trooper: Rapid fire barreled actions such as MG and SMGs used fins first in a water cooling tube, then transferred to air-cooled barrels, ie: MG34, French and British 1900-1930s designs.
Instead of blowing air along the 'outside' of the bbl I would prefer it cleared the 'interior' like M1Abrams do after firing each rd.
Since it is a low volume/velocity purge, it SHOULD be fairly quiet. Even more so if muzzlebrake or other device.
Maybe a CO2 cartridge or mechanical compressor could blow 2 cu-in air through the boltface prior to cycling the action. The gas piston could compress a bladder that would shoot cool air through the chamber prior to cycling.
1 cu-in = .3^2 * Pi/4 * 15"
So 1 cubic inch of air would purge 15" of barrel length.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314