Thread on vs. QD

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Thread on vs. QD

Post by WhiteKnight »

QD cans seem to be everybody's favorites while threadons see little love.

Why is this?

Is it true that threadons will gradually walk off the gun with each shot? Or do people just like the ease of remounting to another gun?

I'm considering a Cyclone but all I hear about is the 762sd. Is it merely a convenience issue or do threadons come with other "problems" too?
wah wah wah
Hot_Shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hot_Shot »

generally I would say...

QD for semi-auto rifles/full autos

and

thread on for bolt action rifles

their are differences though...

Most 22 cans that I have seen are just thread on and most pistol cans are threaded on and off the pistol barrel. In the caliber you are looking to suppress it depends on what you are suppressing.
Last edited by Hot_Shot on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

I'm currently waiting on an M4-1000, but I'd also like to buy a thread on can as well.

The M41k will be my first can, so I'm not sure of the practical applications of QD or Thread on yet.
topherseven
Industry Professional

Post by topherseven »

I have never had problems with any of my thread on cans. Every time I have taken them out to shoot they tighten up and a usually take some effort to break loose.

That said if I was going to be running anything FA, or had several rifles in the same caliber, I would want a QD. That way there is no doubt everything is in order/tight, and it is more versatile.
monkeytoys
Silent But Deadly

Post by monkeytoys »

that was my concern for a 308 can. i have the m42k because i didn't want to worry about it unscrewing. i'm deciding if i want a 762sd or cyclone. i don't want to worry about the cyclone coming off. no f/a, mostly it would be for a bolt gun.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

I would get a QD for all calibers even pistols if they made them.My M42000 is accurate and has minimal POI and it will never come off I also have the Aviator and Prodigy and it's alot quicker to take on/off with the interrupted threads.There is no disadvantage.Everything threadon I have needs to be tightened every once in awhile but not anything I have thats QD.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Thread on vs. QD

Post by cyclone72 »

WhiteKnight wrote:QD cans seem to be everybody's favorites while threadons see little love.

Why is this?

Is it true that threadons will gradually walk off the gun with each shot? Or do people just like the ease of remounting to another gun?

I'm considering a Cyclone but all I hear about is the 762sd. Is it merely a convenience issue or do threadons come with other "problems" too?
AFAIK the only problems with threadons is what you stated and the solution is a QD.
WhiteKnight
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhiteKnight »

But is it true that QDs suffer from significant (at least compared to threadons) POI shift?
wah wah wah
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

WhiteKnight wrote:But is it true that QDs suffer from significant (at least compared to threadons) POI shift?
as far as Im concerned,no.My M42000 has no POI shift at all at 100 yds,beyond that I couldnt tell you.If you can index the can at the same spot every time with a QD or thread on you can have consistant POI but if you hang anything heavy off the end of the barrel,QD or threadon it will give you POI.Ill post a pic of on/off shot at 50 or 75 yds I forget.I dont have a picture of the 100 yrd shot but there was not much difference

Last edited by cyclone72 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

WhiteKnight wrote:But is it true that QDs suffer from significant (at least compared to threadons) POI shift?
The term QD is silly. Shooting a 30 round mag and performing a "quick detach" will burn your hand badly, unless of course you have a tactical oven-mitt. "Fast-attach" makes more sense.

Regarding POI shift, shift is less important than repeatability. If it shifts the same amount every time you put it on whats the problem? And who bothers to shoot a rifle unsilenced once they get a silencer for it anyways.

Repeatability depends on how tight and stable the lock-up is, and whether or not it unscrews while shooting. Gemtech's infamous G5 sucks pretty bad and wobbles all over the place. Bi-lock just strikes me as a dumb design, I doubt SWR's bilock is much better. Some of the mounting systems that mount to an a2 flash hider wobble too. I would avoid those.

AAC's designs seem better, though some people got stuck with defective flash hiders that dont line up with the can properly and back off a little after the first shot. I lucked out, and got one that stays where it stops (tooth stops in the valley, not on a hill). AAC maintains its not a defect, its a feature. haha. Maybe their new m4-2k solves this problem.

I have not had a chance to play with the YHM flash hiders and can yet, but on paper it looks more thought out than AAC's and is less prone to getting the threads dirty.

Personally I would not get a screw on -- thought of it unscrewing while shooting would drive me nuts. I'd get a fast-attach by YHM or AAC.

just my not so humble opinions.

-T
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Thread on for bolts actions.

I'd go QD for semi's.
NFAtalk.org
Wraith
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wraith »

I went with a QD for both my bolt .308 and my ARs. I've been very happy with my M4-2000 (early model) and my 762SD. I don't think I'll ever go with a screw on rifle can after using these suppressors. Just my .02
Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
Always out numbered, never outgunned.
Mom... Dad... I'm gaelic.
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

If the supressor is going to be used on both semi and bolt QD?
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

Tyris wrote: And who bothers to shoot a rifle unsilenced once they get a silencer for it anyways.
If you shoot your weapon in a class or with others who aren't shooting supressed... There's no benefit to having the silencer in place because you have to run ear pro anyway.

So in that scenario, there's no point in puting wear and tear on your can.
green0
Dunce

Post by green0 »

I'd use rockcett on a thread mount, and I'd want ideally to see wrench flats on it, or I'd probably have no chance in hell of removing it.

That's the downside IMO. Plus a $50 mount looks cheap in comparison to a $200 tax stamp.
chromeluv
Silent But Deadly

Post by chromeluv »

markm wrote:
Tyris wrote: And who bothers to shoot a rifle unsilenced once they get a silencer for it anyways.
If you shoot your weapon in a class or with others who aren't shooting supressed... There's no benefit to having the silencer in place because you have to run ear pro anyway.

sorry mark, thats a pretty misinformed opinion.

-at a recent class i was the only one shooting suppressed. My silenced sbr allows for hell of alot faster follow ups and NSRs than compared to unsuppressed.
-the silencer at the end of my sbr balances the 12.5 well for me.
-the night portion of our class was alot easier for me shooting suppressed. The blinding muzzle flash was literally non existant, although the smoke from the can sometimes made it more difficult on the longer strings of fire
-shooting suppressed still protects my hearing and others hearing which is a benefit for all
-my night stand rifle is suppressed, and why not train like I fight?
-$200 dollar tax stamp, and a 500-1200 can, and im going to leave it in the rifle bag because of the potential wear and tear?

BTW, i used a threadmount for the entire span of this class, which was upwards of 1.5k rounds in 2 days, my can never came loose. Like with anything, if you buy quality you shouldn't worry.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

MarkM, do you have any threadon or QD rifle cans?Just asking.I shoot at the range all the time and have to wear ear protection all the time cause of other shooters but it's just more fun shooting suppressed and Ill agree with chromeluv 100% on this one.(I knew he was good for something.LOL :lol: )
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

markm wrote: If you shoot your weapon in a class or with others who aren't shooting supressed... There's no benefit to having the silencer in place because you have to run ear pro anyway.

I disagree. The gun that is closest to me, namely the one Im holding, is quieter -- therefore there is significant benefit, even if others at the range are not as considerate. Wear and tear is a non issue with any quality can that should have a usable life in excess of the host gun's barrel.

In addition to that, there's the public-relations and awareness aspect of it. I have a few silencers that without fail always get a few people asking about them. It sometimes happens with pistol and rifle cans, but always happens with my SRT 77/44.

Lastly, the number one reason gun ranges are being shut down in america is because of neighborhood noise complaints and nuisance lawsuits. I do my part and muzzle my guns.

-T
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

+1 to cyclone, Tyris and Sadly I must agree with chromeluv as well...........

:wink:
NFAtalk.org