OPS INC SHUTDOWN BY BATF

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

shooting systems
Silent But Deadly

OPS INC SHUTDOWN BY BATF

Post by shooting systems »

I received a call from Ops Inc last Thurs informing me they had to refund us for an order made last year. They explained
BATF stated they could not manufacture suppressors in CA. Was also told BATF confiscated all of their inventory. When in
a meeting with BATF, Ops Inc asked about how Surefire could continue to produce suppressors and they could not? BATF
staffed replied " Who is Surefire".

This was told directly to me, not hearsay. Anyone else hear about this?
Shooting Systems
FFL/SOT
Wisconsin Dealer For
AAC, SWR, YHM, Silencerco, Thompson Machine
AWC, Gemtech.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: OPS INC SHUTDOWN BY BATF

Post by Bendersquint »

This is a new one, haven't heard about this anywhere but this post.

I know they were dealing with something in November....not sure if this is related or not.

Nothing on their Facebook page either.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Old news.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

From my November of 2013 post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120155&hilit=ops+inc

The writing was on the wall way back then...

Here is an email I received from OPS on 12/04/2013 after my form 3 had been pending 9+ months:

Sorry for the delay. We have been going through hoops with the ATF with the A&D book, production variance, CA DOJ, and a very confused CA ATF branch. Our lawyers do not know what exactly their end game is, we have complied with every request, had guns taken and then returned later, and fought off every threat they have given to the point that they have nothing left to throw at us. They have held every one of our form 3's but have approved 2 form 5's months after our form 3's were submitted. I honestly have no answer on the time frame because they keep dragging this out and looking for new charges against us that will still not stick. It has been going on since February and it's getting real old at this point. Sorry I cannot get any info about our form 3's, I have a few dealers asking me the same questions and I just don't have the answers at this time. We're trying to figure out where the witch hunt is going and why we're being singled out. They claim that we cannot manufacture suppressors in CA for anyone other than LE and Government. We asked how Surefire has been doing it this whole time along with a few other manufacturers and they haven't answered our emails or phone calls. Other DOJ agents haven't heard this law that apparently has been in effect for over 10 years according to the CA DOJ. Like I said, they keep throwing stones at us and drag out anything they try to have against us for months before they give up and get something new. I don't know of any dealers that have anything in stock other than possibly Duncans guns in North Carolina. I understand if you have to go a different direction, if that is the case I apologize for not being able to get you set in a reasonable time frame. If something new comes up I'll let you know.
Regards,
Daniel

If anyone wants the original email, PM me your email address and I will forward it to you.

Ron Allen is producing the same cans under the Allen Engineering name (accurateordnance.com) in Georgia. His username on this forum is k31user. I ended up going another direction with the suppressor, but may end up buying one from Ron just to have it.

Crappy situation they are in and I was really hoping they would come out on top. If this is a sign of things to come and Surefire really has the only "exception" to this rule, then things are really f*cked up...
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I strongly recommend that Ops Inc. reach out to David Kopel, Eugene Volokh and the rest of the gang at Volokh Conspiracy. These are big name lawyers and their readership is far and wide.

http://www.davekopel.com

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

Wow thats awful! I hope it all works out for them.
07/02 behind enemy lines
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

There are several silencer companies in CA. Sure there is more to the story.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:There are several silencer companies in CA. Sure there is more to the story.
Definitely more to the story.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

wacki wrote:I strongly recommend that Ops Inc. reach out to David Kopel, Eugene Volokh and the rest of the gang at Volokh Conspiracy. These are big name lawyers and their readership is far and wide.
I recommend they reach out to North American Moving Lines, and GTFO of CA.
rjrivero
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjrivero »

Interesting that Ron Allen is still making suppressors. He's in Browns Valley, CA. So Suppressors are still making it out of California. Wonder what the rest of the story really is. http://www.aesuppressors.com
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Bendersquint wrote:
66427vette wrote:There are several silencer companies in CA. Sure there is more to the story.
Definitely more to the story.

Yep.
1slow01Z71
Silent Operator

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

renegade wrote:
wacki wrote:I strongly recommend that Ops Inc. reach out to David Kopel, Eugene Volokh and the rest of the gang at Volokh Conspiracy. These are big name lawyers and their readership is far and wide.
Sounds like the best idea of all. I still dont understand how firearms manufacturers can justify staying there with all the anti gun BS.
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I will never understand why ANYBODY who truly gives a F--k about freedom, the bill of rights, the constitution or the ability to excercise any of the above can choose to live and pay taxes that supports these communist states and cities.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

We got swimming pools...and movie stars.....and smog. What's a smog? I reckon it's a small hog.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

renegade wrote:
This!!!!!! 1000%
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

k31user wrote:What's a smog?
I think it's a dragon that likes gold.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

F--k commiefornia
NP
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Does not look like CA was the problem. It is a hell hole though.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Will that place ever reach the bottom of the ocean? :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Sigproshooter wrote:I will never understand why ANYBODY who truly gives a F--k about freedom, the bill of rights, the constitution or the ability to excercise any of the above can choose to live and pay taxes that supports these communist states and cities.
Truer words were never said!!!
Ops should move to Utah, Nevada, Texas, or Idaho. All Constitutionalist States and many offer great Tax, Regulatory, and other Skilled Workforce and Commerce benefits.

Why don';t we just sell Southern CA to China for 20 Trillion $? Otherwise known as 20 Obama Bucks. Nowhere near enough to settle our debt, but would cover a year's interest payments on the debt. :(
After all, they have proven their ability to actually build a wall that WORKS and repel the Mongolian Hoards. Go Ghengis Go!
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Those silencer companies need to close up shop and move OUT of CA to a more gun friendly state.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

We could use a few more small companies (SBO's) here in North Florida...
Blackhorse Scout
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Such hostility against California. You have all heard of the storage facilities where they store seeds and plant cuttings in case there is some devastating event that kills most of the life on this planet. Well California is the only place on earth that still has pure, un-modified stupidity. Stupid is everywhere on earth, but if it dies out, the only place to get pure stupid is California. Why do you think we have both Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein? To preserve pure stupid. Nancy or Di's eggs mixed with donor sperm from most anyone at the Oscars could bring stupidity back from the brink of extinction in a mere 20 years.
So remember, we're saving stupid so your state doesn't have to.