New member, new experiences

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Custom II

New member, new experiences

Post by Custom II »

Hi all,

I've been looking into getting into the suppressor game... and now doing so seriously. Hopefully you all don't give me the boot for all the noobish questions regarding class III toys.

Cheers!

Custom II
5.56x45mm, .45acp, 9x19mm, .380acp

“Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?”
None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind —
Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: New member, new experiences

Post by doubloon »

.22 is most quiet then 9mm then 45 etc. ... larger hole == more noise

without subsonic ammo the bullet will still make a big ass noise even with a suppressor

take apart is highly recommended for 22lr, nice to have but not needed for other pistol calibers and a rare item in rifle calibers unless they are form 1

you pretty much get what you pay for the stamp is $200 so don't cheap out on the suppressor

always carry a copy of your approved forms and keep the originals in a safe, fire proof, flood proof place

the search function built into the forum sucks search using the site tag on google

Example ... "ban cortland site:silencertalk.com"

if you want to browse through some cool s--t follow the link to the form 1 builds in my signature

welcome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Welcome. Hope you like physics, mechanics, and thermodynamics. NFA owners are generally the nerds of the firearm world... but especially silencer users :mrgreen:

Oh btw, technically it's "Title II toys" or just NFA toys.
Custom II

Post by Custom II »

rimshaker wrote:Welcome. Hope you like physics, mechanics, and thermodynamics. NFA owners are generally the nerds of the firearm world... but especially silencer users :mrgreen:

Oh btw, technically it's "Title II toys" or just NFA toys.

My Noobishness is showing THAT badly, huh? Lol....

I have a trust from GTL that I just need to have notarized, and then i think I'll be good to get started. My primary caliber I want to suppress is 9mm, out of a Glock 19. I really can't wait to fall down this rabbit hole :D

None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Custom II wrote: I really can't wait to fall down this rabbit hole :D [/color]
Be careful, there is no bottom to this hole. As soon as you get everything you think you want something new is released.

It can be an addiction if you wallet can handle it.
Custom II

Post by Custom II »

Bendersquint wrote:
Custom II wrote: I really can't wait to fall down this rabbit hole :D [/color]
Be careful, there is no bottom to this hole. As soon as you get everything you think you want something new is released.

It can be an addiction if you wallet can handle it.
I think firearms in general are like that... I'm in my early 20's, and I've been through almost two dozen, granted learning valuable lessons on the way. (Mini 30's SUCK, why oh why did I sell that 229, and you don't want a 1/9 twist HBar AR....)

The wallet will manage, somehow.

None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Look hard at the SWR Octane 9 ( youtube it ) it will also sound great on a 22lr and easiest to clean.

( yes you want to cleanl pistol cans)

Also do the Eform to save half the time.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Custom II

Post by Custom II »

Emilio wrote:Look hard at the SWR Octane 9 ( youtube it ) it will also sound great on a 22lr and easiest to clean.

The Octane looks pretty nice... I've been looking at the Huntertown Arms Guardian 9, Thompson Machine ISIS II, and the Thompson Poseidon.

Unfortunately I *do* have somewhat of a budget on my first can... I just purchased that Glock 19, and I want to get a can in the works before the rules potentially change...

I HIGHLY doubt that I will only get one suppressor in the long run... So I'm okay with getting one that isn't the best of the best of the best... I just want something functional and well built. I primarily want it for HD reasons... If I am going to potentially shoot indoors, I kind of want to hear whats going on... and I have no desire or expectation of putting on ear pro at 0230.

None this tide,
Nor any tide,
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Custom II wrote:
Emilio wrote:Look hard at the SWR Octane 9 ( youtube it ) it will also sound great on a 22lr and easiest to clean.

The Octane looks pretty nice... I've been looking at the Huntertown Arms Guardian 9, Thompson Machine ISIS II, and the Thompson Poseidon.

Unfortunately I *do* have somewhat of a budget on my first can... I just purchased that Glock 19, and I want to get a can in the works before the rules potentially change...

I HIGHLY doubt that I will only get one suppressor in the long run... So I'm okay with getting one that isn't the best of the best of the best... I just want something functional and well built. I primarily want it for HD reasons... If I am going to potentially shoot indoors, I kind of want to hear whats going on... and I have no desire or expectation of putting on ear pro at 0230.
I would get an Octane if i were in your shoes.

This is a lifetime investment, don't settle when you can get a high end can for just a little more.

Especially if this is going to be a HD can and possibly fired indoors.....you want every bit of suppression you can get!
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Bendersquint wrote:

It IS an addiction. The issue is...if your wallet can handle it.
FIFY!
:lol:
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Custom II wrote:... I'm okay with getting one that isn't the best of the best of the best...
What -B- said.

I refer you back to the 4th law of NFA, it's a $200 stamp and you get what you pay for.

What's not written there is the implied part about being stuck with what you paid for because you will never (IMHO) sell a so-so silencer for more than 50% of what you paid for it and you will never get the $200 back for your stamp ... spend $400+$200 on a so-so silencer and you'll be lucky to get back maybe $150-$shipping. Plus you'll be waiting about a year before you get it and again about a year before you get rid of it.

Remember that regret from selling that P229? It's kinda like that.

JMO-YMMV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

"ban cortland site:silencertalk.com"

Got a good chuckle over that one! :)
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

From your GLOCK 19, you'll want to use 147 gr. You'll want a full-length silencer too... no slight against the Poseidon, but you'll want maximum suppression of your caliber.

If you can, try to find someone near you who has something similar to what you want so you can set your expectations correctly. For example, you want a GLOCK 19 + Octane 9 (for the sake of putting down something)... so if someone has a GLOCK 17 + Evo-9 ... see if you can handle it.

Most NFA folks are proud of what they have, and it isn't really asking much of a favor to shoot it -- they're proud of it.

Also be aware that your GLOCK 19, because the barrel tilts up during cycling, will want a booster device (minus the Poesidon, Nano, and a few others).

Where are you, anyway?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

I'd also add that instead of a 9mm silencer, look at a .45...that way you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. Typically, the suppression loss due to the larger hole is offset by the extra volume...not to mention that you can use the can on multiple hosts, thus saving some $$$ initially.

Byrdman
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

MCKNBRD wrote:I'd also add that instead of a 9mm silencer, look at a .45...that way you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. Typically, the suppression loss due to the larger hole is offset by the extra volume...not to mention that you can use the can on multiple hosts, thus saving some $$$ initially.

Byrdman
Do they make many 45 cans threaded 1/2 x 28?
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

MCKNBRD wrote:I'd also add that instead of a 9mm silencer, look at a .45...that way you'll kill 2 birds with one stone. Typically, the suppression loss due to the larger hole is offset by the extra volume...not to mention that you can use the can on multiple hosts, thus saving some $$$ initially.

Byrdman
He says it beautifully and effectively.

As for .45 consider a 1911A1 with a threaded Bar-Sto Precision Machine Barrel.

For long term enjoyment, investment, satisfaction, with never a regret, a used Smith & Wesson
Model 41 with either a threaded Clark or next generation of the renowned Ray Brandes
Bully Barrel, the EWK/Bully barrels.

Ex.,

<< http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=513372 >>

<< http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=506877 >>

<< http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=5&f=16&t=63953 >>

<< http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... %2B+barrel >>

Avoid plastic-elastic pistols. They will break your heart as they break
in your hand,

The discipline is to plan, wait, save, and get the best once.
You will never regret it.

Best and welcome.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Custom II wrote:I have a trust from GTL that I just need to have notarized, and then i think I'll be good to get started. My primary caliber I want to suppress is 9mm, out of a Glock 19. I really can't wait to fall down this rabbit hole :D [/color]
Good choice with GTL. I went with Goldman also. Fell down the same rabbit hole...started with my Glock 19 and 21.

Highly recommend getting a Glock factory threaded barrel for your 19. Unfortunately it's probably THE hardest barrel to find (~$250 new). You have plenty of time though, so don't settle for aftermarket barrels too quick. Not saying aftermarket is all bad... but given the choice, stay with oem factory.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

TROOPER wrote:

Byrdman
Nope...at least not that I know of.

But AAC does have piston adapters threaded in a myriad of threadforms...

Byrdman
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

MCKNBRD wrote:
TROOPER wrote:

Byrdman

Byrdman
The three best .45 cans (Ti-RANT, Osprey, and Octane) all have 1/2-28 pistons available.

I am not a fan of "get the 45 can" advice… if you will only buy one, It's OK… but if 9 is your primary caliber, get a 9mm can- smaller, lighter, and a little quieter. .45 cans are pretty big compared.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

JasonM wrote:
MCKNBRD wrote:
TROOPER wrote: Do they make many 45 cans threaded 1/2 x 28?

Byrdman
The three best .45 cans (Ti-RANT, Osprey, and Octane) all have 1/2-28 pistons available.

I am not a fan of "get the 45 can" advice… if you will only buy one, It's OK… but if 9 is your primary caliber, get a 9mm can- smaller, lighter, and a little quieter. .45 cans are pretty big compared.
Good point on the size...but I thought size didn't matter? :shock: :lol:

I was fondling the TiRant 45-S at the Harrisburg show this weekend, and couldn't help but think that its a helluva option...a little larger diameter than the average 9mm can, but not unwieldy, and plenty quiet with a little ablative. Not to mention the .45/.40/9mm versatility.

Just another option to muddy the water!
Byrdman
Custom II

Post by Custom II »

You guys are great... I can see this is going to be a great place!

I'm in Eastern WA, FWIW. I've considered going with getting a larger can (as my username implies, I do indeed own a 1911) but have never been sure about how well suppression is when shooting sub calibers through it. However, I think that 9mm will be my focus for my first can, as the G19 bumped the Kimber into somewhat of a safe queen status. As I don't plan on suppressing my PPK, I'm SURE there will be room for a .45 can later on :o

Definitely lots of good stuff to mull over, here

None this tide,
Nor any tide,
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I have an Osprey 45 that I run with a 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45, they all sound great. Shooting the 9mm is in between the suppressed 45 and a dedicated 9mm can. In fact the 9mm through the Osprey 45 is quieter than most other 9mm cans.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Custom II wrote:You guys are great... I can see this is going to be a great place!

I'm in Eastern WA, FWIW. I've considered going with getting a larger can (as my username implies, I do indeed own a 1911) but have never been sure about how well suppression is when shooting sub calibers through it. However, I think that 9mm will be my focus for my first can, as the G19 bumped the Kimber into somewhat of a safe queen status. As I don't plan on suppressing my PPK, I'm SURE there will be room for a .45 can later on :o

I would still recommend getting the Octane45. Even with all you said.

You will not regret it.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Custom II wrote:I'm in my early 20's, and I've been through almost two dozen, granted learning valuable lessons on the way. (Mini 30's SUCK,
YOUR Mini 30 sucked.... :lol:
Custom II

Post by Custom II »

Bendersquint wrote:
Custom II wrote:You guys are great... I can see this is going to be a great place!

I would still recommend getting the Octane45. Even with all you said.

You will not regret it.
I'll keep that in mind. The extra hundred bucks or so for the .45 isn't a big deal. And of the SWR cans are that much better... then I think the choice is clear.
rockman96 wrote:
Custom II wrote:I'm in my early 20's, and I've been through almost two dozen, granted learning valuable lessons on the way. (Mini 30's SUCK,
YOUR Mini 30 sucked.... :lol:
HA! Funny thing is, my 181-series mini 14 is the cat's ass... And looks classy to boot with the wooden handguard. Not a serious fighting rifle, but a fun and reliable shooter

None this tide,
Nor any tide,