Problems with UMC 147gr in Beretta 92fs a1

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

pokerman702

Problems with UMC 147gr in Beretta 92fs a1

Post by pokerman702 »

I have a Beretta 92fs a1. I bought a few thousand rounds of Remington UMC 147gr because I heard UMC 147 was subsonic and I have an Osprey 9mm suppressor on order which should be released from the dealer in 1-2 months.

It works ok but seems to stove pipe every 4-5 rounds! This is obviously a huge problem.

Are there any mods I can make to my Beretta to get it to work? I already invested in a threaded barrel, crimson trace laser grips etc so would like to get my ammo to work with my can.

Otherwise does a Glock 19 work well with UMG 147gr?
Fox_Hound

Re: Problems with UMC 147gr in Beretta 92fs a1

Post by Fox_Hound »

Is the beretta new ?how many rounds through it ?
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The GLOCK 19 should work fine. For the Beretta... it sounds like you're getting your stovepipes without the suppressor? In which case, either you got a batch of weak UMC, or more likely it's the Beretta. If it's the Beretta, then there are a few "maybes".

- Maybe the spring is too new or too tight. You'll want to find a favorable television series on Netflix, then sit on your couch and rack your slide repeatedly... repeatedly... repeatedly.

- Maybe there is something preventing the slide from operating smoothly... grit... small burrs... non-specific sludge. You'll want disassemble and thoroughly clean and modestly lube the inner and outer rail area.

- Maybe the shooting technique is less-than-ideal. When you actually shoot the gun... you'll want a grip that's firm enough that the slide can execute a crisp backward-then-forward action. If you let the gun roll up in your hand... that is... if you allow for a lot of muzzle-flip... this retards the slide's movement and it will tend to short-stroke. This happens sometimes when people "grow up" on revolvers and they become accustomed to riding with the muzzle flip instead of fighting it. This isn't usually an issue with 9mm for two reasons: it doesn't produce a lot of muzzle-flip... and the cartridge has a relatively short OAL and so the slide's rearward movement distance is short enough that it can do its business almost regardless of the shooter.

The crux of the matter is that seems as though your slide has a short travel, and it's pinching an ejected cartridge... which doesn't really make sense if the slide is going all the way back before returning to closed. However, you haven't given us much to work with besides one symptom. So let's get some more intel on the subject before we internet-gunsmith this issue.

Is this a new gun?
Does it work with other ammunition brands or weights?
How many rounds have you fired through it? (estimation is fine... there is no real-world difference between 516 and 657).
Have you tried this ammunition in your GLOCK 19?
Have you yourself done much shooting with handguns? Revolvers or automatics?
If this is a new gun AND your first gun... there's this white grease they put on it sometimes... looks like Vaseline... have you cleaned that off?
Last edited by TROOPER on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

TROOPER wrote:- Maybe the shooting technique is less-than-ideal. When you actually shoot the gun... you'll want a grip that's firm enough that the slide can execute a crisp backward-then-forward action. If you let the gun roll up in your hand... that is... if you allow for a lot of muzzle-flip... this retards the slide's movement and it will tend to short-stroke.

Pretty much my 1st thought. Try this before messing with springs or looking for burrs etc. Even if the pistol works fine with 115 or 124 grain the heavier rounds tend to be more demanding on the shooter. Make sure you are locking your wrist and keeping a firm grip on the gun.

I have several thousands of rounds of 147 gr 9mm through my Beretta 92D and I cannot recall one malfunction.

Good luck,

GHEN
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

GHEN wrote:Pretty much my 1st thought. Try this before messing with springs or looking for burrs etc. Even if the pistol works fine with 115 or 124 grain the heavier rounds tend to be more demanding on the shooter. Make sure you are locking your wrist and keeping a firm grip on the gun.

I have several thousands of rounds of 147 gr 9mm through my Beretta 92D and I cannot recall one malfunction.

Good luck,

GHEN
Seems totally plausible, right? The thing with springs and burrs... it isn't monkeying around with either of those to just sit and rack the slide repeatedly. That will solve both a too-new-and-too-tight spring as well as any minor deburring that needs to happen. In looking at this as a potential problem and corresponding solution, it's really a no-risk proposition since it takes no skill or expertise to just work the slide... and it is going to be all but impossible to damage the gun in doing so.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

TROOPER wrote:
GHEN wrote:Seems totally plausible, right? The thing with springs and burrs... it isn't monkeying around with either of those to just sit and rack the slide repeatedly. That will solve both a too-new-and-too-tight spring as well as any minor deburring that needs to happen. In looking at this as a potential problem and corresponding solution, it's really a no-risk proposition since it takes no skill or expertise to just work the slide... and it is going to be all but impossible to damage the gun in doing so.
I absolutely agree, the reasons I felt is necessary to chime are:

Some people will NEVER believe it is them and not the gun (not talking about the OP here, more of a general statement)
Some people (again not necessarily the OP) think "burrs" and whip out the Dremel, and think "springs" and get on the phone to Wolff.

I just wanted to draw attention to the easiest and cheapest thing to fix...locking the wrist.

GHEN
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

GHEN wrote: I absolutely agree, the reasons I felt is necessary to chime are:

Some people will NEVER believe it is them and not the gun (not talking about the OP here, more of a general statement)
Some people (again not necessarily the OP) think "burrs" and whip out the Dremel, and think "springs" and get on the phone to Wolff.

I just wanted to draw attention to the easiest and cheapest thing to fix...locking the wrist.

GHEN
Well said.
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

pokerman702 wrote:I have a Beretta 92fs a1. I bought a few thousand rounds of Remington UMC 147gr because I heard UMC 147 was subsonic and I have an Osprey 9mm suppressor on order which should be released from the dealer in 1-2 months.

It works ok but seems to stove pipe every 4-5 rounds! This is obviously a huge problem.

Are there any mods I can make to my Beretta to get it to work? I already invested in a threaded barrel, crimson trace laser grips etc so would like to get my ammo to work with my can.

Otherwise does a Glock 19 work well with UMG 147gr?
How does it work with the factory barrel?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Magazines haven't been mentioned...what mags are you using? Have you tried any others? If you're using the factory mags, are you having the issue with just 1 magazine, or is it across all of them? Are the feed lips dragging the slide?

You said that it stove-pipes every 4-5 rounds...are the ones that stick up loaded, or empties that didn't clear ejection? If they are empties that aren't getting ejected, I'd look in & around the extractor and clean the heck out of it. What do spent cases look like? Crisp, obvious extractor marks, or blurry, rounded ones?

Lots of options, its just REALLY hard to diagnose over the interwebs...

Byrdman