Joe @ Red Jacket Introduction!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Joe @ Red Jacket Introduction!

Post by Emilio »

JasonNC wrote:I am sure everyone has seen this weeks news with Will Hayden. He made the news as mentioned previously in this thread but he has been rearrested. The series has been canceled and Red Jacket has filed to separate the company from Will. Next step is to change the name as it is now irreversible tainted with the original founders chargers, true or not. Their brand was once their strongest asset and is now their most detrimental if you ask me. It doesn't matter how good their products are, I wouldn't want a product with that brand on it. I know it may not be fair, Will may be innocent but do you want to think of a 12 y/o old girl being raped every time you look at your $1000 silencer?? False accusations or not... No thanks...
Their brand was never an asset or taken seriously in the industry. Their customers and fans are nothing more than chumps. The latest news changes nothing but gets a stupid show off TV.

Early in this thread I told Joe he needs to separate himself from RJ to be taken seriously but now he carries an odor with him. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

JasonNC wrote:I would love to be filled in on why Red Jacket is such a bad word around here though. Is it really shoddy products or just bad publicity from the show?
Both. For a long time their silencers were expensive pieces of s--t. Plain washer baffles held in with cheap springs, poorly-designed monocores, low-end materials, shoddy finishes, and poor performance. Then along came the show, with most shop employees appearing to be clowns, and everything they made was claimed to be an original, "game-changing" idea, when in fact it was typically a knockoff of another company's established product. Among those claimed to be "neva been done befo'" RJF inventions (but not) were: a shotgun silencer, a shotgun under an AR-15, a lightweight AR, a remote-controlled machine gun, a copy of the Magpul FMG-9, a titanium .22 silencer, etc. Most of their products seemed to be finished with an angle grinder and painted rather than using a higher-end coating like anodizing or cerakote.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Conqueror wrote:
JasonNC wrote:I would love to be filled in on why Red Jacket is such a bad word around here though. Is it really shoddy products or just bad publicity from the show?
Both. For a long time their silencers were expensive pieces of s--t. Plain washer baffles held in with cheap springs, poorly-designed monocores, low-end materials, shoddy finishes, and poor performance. Then along came the show, with most shop employees appearing to be clowns, and everything they made was claimed to be an original, "game-changing" idea, when in fact it was typically a knockoff of another company's established product. Among those claimed to be "neva been done befo'" RJF inventions (but not) were: a shotgun silencer, a shotgun under an AR-15, a lightweight AR, a remote-controlled machine gun, a copy of the Magpul FMG-9, a titanium .22 silencer, etc. Most of their products seemed to be finished with an angle grinder and painted rather than using a higher-end coating like anodizing or cerakote.
Don't forget they invented the 50BMG silencer.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Bendersquint wrote:Don't forget they invented the 50BMG silencer.
Dude. That's seriously cool.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Perhaps they went overboard in saying they invented a lot of things first.... but on many other episodes they fixed up, reconditioned, and fired a lot of cannons, tanks, and WWII era weapons. Those were the decent episodes at least.
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

Bendersquint wrote: Don't forget they invented the 50BMG silencer.

Hell, I thought they invented the .50 BMG itself!!
Deathray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Deathray »

It was a game changuh.
Elkins45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Elkins45 »

I hope that Joe didn't let his teaching certificate lapse. I have a lot of admiration for a guy who has the knowledge and skill needed to teach high school mathematics. Now that the TV show is gone I suspect the company won't be far behind, and I would hate to see him end up on the bottom of somebody else's mess.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

I agree with that... There are some good people at RJ but they need a complete reboot to be taken seriously in the firearms industry. Ya a lot of it was TV BS drama, and I know that they are capable of quality work but the show did as much to hurt them as to help them...
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Global Armory

Post by Global Armory »

Did anybody get their demo suppressors? Somebody a while back said one person received one.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Global Armory wrote:Did anybody get their demo suppressors? Somebody a while back said one person received one.

Chili is the only one to claim that he received any, but has posted anything of a review or anything.

Alot of cans were promised to other SOT's though.......
Global Armory

Post by Global Armory »

Bendersquint wrote:
Is that common practice among SOT's?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Global Armory wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Is that common practice among SOT's?

Apparently it is with Red Jacket.
Global Armory

Post by Global Armory »

Bendersquint wrote:

You apparently have a axe to grind but I was inquiring about 07's sending cans for evaluation to other SOT holders. Is it just smaller manufacturers that do this or do all manufacturers do independent testing like this. It seems a bit redundant when every manufacturer says they are the quietest and they have developed a better can.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Global Armory wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

You apparently have a axe to grind but I was inquiring about 07's sending cans for evaluation to other SOT holders. Is it just smaller manufacturers that do this or do all manufacturers do independent testing like this. It seems a bit redundant when every manufacturer says they are the quietest and they have developed a better can.
Don't really have an axe to grind, in fact I like their old cans, keeps me busy with recoring them!

aside from that.....

No. it is not normal to send evaluation cans out to SOT holders unless you are trying to change perceptions like in RJF's case or someone isn't familiar with your brand and you are trying to get increased exposure.

The big dogs don't need to send out cans, they have already established their baselines and don't have to prove their performance anymore let the dB's do the talking.

Edited to clean up the mumbo jumbo, not sure what happened.
Last edited by Bendersquint on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

well I cant find the review I typed up. RJ sent us a 9mm sub-gun can (Hawker), .22 al. can (Vigilant) and a 5.56 can QD can. Let me go through my notes and I will type something up. Very brief over view.

Vigilant 5" .22lr monocore can. Sounded OK, lot of FRP. Was shot on walther p22, browning buckmark (3.5") ruger 22/45 (3.5"), ruger 10/22 and a 18" martini Similar to a Sparrow 2. They have updated the core, but I have not seen it. I'm told it has less FRP and a deeper tone now.

5.56 can (do not remember the name off the top of my head. works with RJ muzzle brake that has LH threads (no locking mechanism) that the suppressor screws on to. Pretty average all around. Shot on ar15 (20"), m16 (11.5") ultimax (14.5"). Sounded nice, shorter and fatter than most .223 cans. Gassed us pretty bad on FA(think yhm phantom here). Only shot a couple of hundred rounds through it as it sounded like a typical (quality) .223 can. It did not shoot itself loose despite have no locking mechanism.

Hawker 9mm SMG can. Large (11" x 1.75"). This can is rated for sub and supersonic 300 BO. Shot on an UZI, Swede K and stock M11/9. Sounded nice, very little blowback and did not gas us. Also shot it on a 10.5" m16 in 300BO both full and semi auto. Sounded OK with subs and supers.
With RJ blessing we also shot it on the ulimax (5.56). It actually sounds really great on a 5.56 rifle! No blow back or gas in our face (no surprise considering the volume). After shooting a 100rd drum in 2-3 round burst we took apart the can to check for damage, none was found. We then proceeded to shoot another 100rd drum and inspected the can, again no damage seen. Finally we dumped 2 30rd mags back to back and checked the can again. After the suppressor cooled we took it apart and measured everything and no swelling or seen damage had occured. Based off of our experience with this can, we purchased it from RJ to keep in our inventory ( i have a soft spot for large volume, smg cans). To be clear RJ does not rate this can for 5.56 usage. However, based off of our experience I would not hesitate to use it on a semi auto or bolt action .223 rifle.

Sorry was this was so short and not very detailed. I'm out of town at the moment and going off of memory.
Im beat and going to bed now :)
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

Interesting. So they are no longer complete garbage?
Too bad for everyone that works there that their brand is now synonymous with incestuous child molestation now on top of the already pretty hefty baggage they had as far as reputation goes.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

11" x 1.75" SMG can, if it isn't quiet then something is seriously wrong.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

Bendersquint wrote:11" x 1.75" SMG can, if it isn't quiet then something is seriously wrong.
:lol: Agreed, but their previous designs still managed to be both big and ineffective. It looks like they were making a good effort to pull their name out the mud before the horrible charges were leveled at what's his name. It's kind of a moot point now, though.
I do feel bad for the other owners & employees, even though I never had any respect for the products they turned out, and had much hate for the idiot face the show painted on the gun community.