Shorty 5.56 cans

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Shorty 5.56 cans

Post by DoctorSolo »

Who all makes a shorty 5.56 can that works?
I know of these:
AAC Mini 4/7
Delta P (Brevis)
Griffin M4SD2K
Surefire Model $$$LOLYEAHRIGHTGTFO

Who else? Any real experience with these models? Only goal is to take an 14.5" barrel AR from face-melting, concussion-inducing loud, down to just really loud, without making the gun much longer.
TheCowboyofKhaos
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Shorty 5.56 cans

Post by TheCowboyofKhaos »

I think ops inc makes a 6-8" long can that only adds 3.5"ish inches to oal.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Mini4, but still need ear pro.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

RJT wrote:Mini4, but still need ear pro.
Oh I have no delusions about using a moderator, which is what these short cans really are on the 5.56.

Still, if you had to shoot a guy in your house, would you want an A2 at the end of your carbine, or a moderator. I think I'd want the moderator on that thar weapon.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

SRT Typhoon with an Atlas mount seems like a no-brainer to me.

I like mine,
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

innovative arms mini grunt

And its not out yet, but Hunter Town Arms has a mini 556 can coming out.
HDHNTER

Post by HDHNTER »

TheCowboyofKhaos wrote:I think ops inc makes a 6-8" long can that only adds 3.5"ish inches to oal.
http://www.aesuppressors.com/suppressors/AEM2.html
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Also worth checking out.

Allan Arms

AAC Ranger 3

Liberty Chaotic (officially 300 BLK but works fine on 5.56)

Huntertown Arms Chameleon Mini 5.56
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Have any of these been metered in the last year or so?

Thanks guys!
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

DoctorSolo wrote:
Oh I have no delusions about using a moderator, which is what these short cans really are on the 5.56.

Still, if you had to shoot a guy in your house, would you want an A2 at the end of your carbine, or a moderator. I think I'd want the moderator on that thar weapon.
A2...you keep your "short cans" I'm not paying the price of the can, $200, and waiting a year for 1/2 a suppressor....
edit to add...Mine are on SBR's so I use full size suppressors and still have an overall length shorter than a 16in rifle.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

dtom29 wrote:
DoctorSolo wrote:

A2...you keep your "short cans" I'm not paying the price of the can, $200, and waiting a year for 1/2 a suppressor....
edit to add...Mine are on SBR's so I use full size suppressors and still have an overall length shorter than a 16in rifle.
Awesome story bro!
Different strokes!
:wink:
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

dtom29 wrote:
DoctorSolo wrote:

Please tell me how many rounds you've shot through your can and how much suppressor wear you've experienced. I prefer the longer barrel route as a super short SBR on 5.56 at my firing schedule will likely chew through suppressors. I NEVER shoot less than 300 rounds in a sitting. My average is probably double that. Also, I wish there was a way to measure blowback. I'm guessing my setups will have less. Still waiting on a few things to get in stock & out of jail so I can't say from experience yet. At least not in the rifle realm.

As DosctorSolo says: To each his own.

I have lots of long suppressors, but I'm rather fond of light & short cans for every day use. Especially in the pistol arena. Plenty of experience there. My goal is hearing safety and not wow effect.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Since I have my own range at my house the amount of rounds through any of my rifles is more than most. I know there are those that shoot more than I do, but not many. Suppressor wear is a non issue to me. I buy them to shoot. If I ever need them rebuilt I know where to go. 5.56 is loud even with a suppressor so I want as much quietenness(LOL, I want a patent on that word)as I can get. I also don't buy 5.56 suppressors, I feel they are a waste of money when I can get as good or better suppression from a 30 cal. suppressor with more versatility. I've also found that the bigger can tends to have less blowback. To be honest I'm moving away from 5.56. I'm into 300 BLK now, so many pluses.
Docsolo, You asked the question, I didn't realize you didn't want an answer.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

OPS INC M4S was my favorite of the micro 5.56 cans. It was tiny and did exactly what you are asking for. See if you can track one down in stock somewhere, or maybe you can get Ron @ Allen Engineering to custom-make you one. They only charged like $250 for it.

[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manygunz »

That looks like a great size and like the way to backs up the barrel rather than just hangs. For the price, it would be a no-brainer.

Your pictures suggest that it somehow mounts to an A2. Is that a wrong assumption? Is it a simple thread on?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Answered my own question. It needs its own muzzle device. Details here.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Thank you guys! That Ops Inc can looks great. I will have to call around and see what's in stock in-state.
dtom29 wrote:Since I have my own range at my house the amount of rounds through any of my rifles is more than most. I know there are those that shoot more than I do, but not many. Suppressor wear is a non issue to me. I buy them to shoot. If I ever need them rebuilt I know where to go. 5.56 is loud even with a suppressor so I want as much quietenness(LOL, I want a patent on that word)as I can get. I also don't buy 5.56 suppressors, I feel they are a waste of money when I can get as good or better suppression from a 30 cal. suppressor with more versatility. I've also found that the bigger can tends to have less blowback. To be honest I'm moving away from 5.56. I'm into 300 BLK now, so many pluses.
Docsolo, You asked the question, I didn't realize you didn't want an answer.
Your opinion is welcome, but as the OP suggests, my mind is made up. This will not be my only rifle can, just one that fills a niche. I have a non-SBR 5.56 carbine for home defense. As of now, my only option is to go deaf if I have to use it. I would prefer to go less deaf, if I have to use it. In this application a short can is called for to keep the rifle handy indoors.

I do not agree that 5.56 cans are "loud" when you compare them to a non suppressed 5.56 weapon or a high power rifle. The concussion attenuation is as important as the noise suppression in this application.

Your approach is all-or-nothing, or for me to just buy what you have. Your post did not offer anything but an attempt to "set a friggin n00b straight," which is called for a lot here, but not in my thread. I was asking about who makes a nice mini 5.56 can, not if buying one will make me cool or not.

C'mon, it's the internet dude, I ain't even mad. Honestly I envy you. Having land I can shoot on is a goal. :brofist:
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Naw, you took it the wrong way...but that's the internet. I had no intention of entering your thread untill you wrote "Still, if you had to shoot a guy in your house, would you want an A2 at the end of your carbine, or a moderator. I think I'd want the moderator on that thar weapon". So, Being bored at work I replied that I wouldn't want a shorty and why. I know there was no changing your mnd and I really didn't want to. Knowing other people read these things I offered another opinion. I'm good...no problem. :wink:
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

http://www.silencertalk.com/silencer-fo ... 2&t=123190

Something to think about before purchasing an Ops Inc product.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
rjrivero
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjrivero »

RJT wrote:http://www.silencertalk.com/silencer-fo ... 2&t=123190

Don't let that bother you.

Ron Allen is still making cans. The M4S was never a huge seller. (Niche market) but if you can find one, out there in the market, buy it and run it, as hard as you want. I run mine on a SBR and really like how it modulates the sound signature especially from my 11.5" barrel AR.

The current AEM2 is a bit longer, much more like the Ops M4M. It's a bit better at squashing sound, but at the cost of about 1.5" longer past the muzzle. It's a better option and I hope I have one on a Form 4 Pending at ADCO. (Remind me to check tomorrow.) :shock:

Fact of the matter is that old product from OPS INC came from Ron Allen's workshop. Rest assured he's still in the business of making suppressors and if it came from his shop, he'll stand behind it, regardless of what is stamped on the side of the can.

dtom and doctor solo, my hat is off to both of you for handling your apparent disagreement in a very civilized and cordial manner. Nicely done to both of you!
Last edited by rjrivero on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I was most impressed by the low light performance of "full size" equivalent Ops Inc can I saw. I wasn't impressed by its sound performance to weight ratio. It also had a LOT of blast baffle wear, but I didn't know the round count.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

rjrivero wrote:
RJT wrote:http://www.silencertalk.com/silencer-fo ... 2&t=123190

Don't let that bother you.

Ron Allen is still making cans. The M4S was never a huge seller. (Niche market) but if you can find one, out there in the market, buy it and run it, as hard as you want. I run mine on a SBR and really like how it modulates the sound signature especially from my 11.5" barrel AR.

The current AE2 is a bit longer, much more like the Ops M4M. It's a bit better at squashing sound, but at the cost of about 1.5" longer past the muzzle. It's a better option and I hope I have one on a Form 4 Pending at ADCO. (Remind me to check tomorrow.) :shock:

Fact of the matter is that old product from OPS INC came from Ron Allen's workshop. Rest assured he's still in the business of making suppressors and if it came from his shop, he'll stand behind it, regardless of what is stamped on the side of the can.

dtom and doctor solo, my hat is off to both of you for handling your apparent disagreement in a very civilized and cordial manner. Nicely done to both of you!
Don't give me too much credit...I'm still fucking with Doubloon in another thread... :wink:
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

dtom29 wrote:
DoctorSolo wrote:

Keep your SBR. I'm not paying $200, and waiting a year for a rifle with 1/2 a barrel.

:lol:

Seriously though, this topic interests me as I'm planning on a 14.5" build and the mini-cans are alleged to work great on 14.5 and up barrels. I want to keep my velocity while still damping some sound. I bought a Surefire 556 SOCOM Mini, so this thread is kindof an "aftermath" type deal for me. Curious if anyone has metered the new SOCOM mini, or the 3rd gen-latch Mini?

*Yes, I own SBR's, 300BLK, 762SOCOM mini and full-size as well as several 556-212 full-size SF cans. Some in hand, some pending. Right tool for the job and all...