Help me decide: Octane or Osprey

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

No Rush

Help me decide: Octane or Osprey

Post by No Rush »

Over the last several day I have narrowed it down to choosing between the Octane9 and the Osprey9 for my Glock 19.
I think I know which one I am going to choose but I wanted to get a vote from everyone to see if my thought process is correct, haha!

I have read a lot of the reviews that have posted here, and I have taken in to account a lot of the advice given to other forum members. Some things that are pertaining to my choice is budget, purpose, functionality. I started looking at multi caliber cans in the beginning and realized that you actually wind up wanting to buy a dedicated can, for better performance, later on.

Thank you all for your input
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me decide: Octane or Osprey

Post by Emilio »

The Octane , no contest.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

I'm with Emilio, but we all have different reasons for buying a particular can. Both cans weigh about the same, about the same suppression, about the same length, etc. I would choose Octane because it may be a little easier to clean and maintain, and I just prefer the round tube to the rectangular look. JMO. Good luck with your decision!
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

If you plan to shoot lead bullets or 22's you want the Octane.
No Rush

Post by No Rush »

What model of the octane are there...
Octane 9
Octane 9HD
Octane 9HD2 I am guessing this is the current production
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

I have both the Octane 45 and Osprey 45, and when using a handgun I prefer the Osprey for sight clearance and weight. My Octane goes on my rifles or when shooting lead cast.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Osprey is perfect for Glocks.
If they were opened for cleaning, they would be perfect. No chance of misallignment since it's a monocore. Just need to have a removable endcap. Maybe one that slides upward through a groove on inside of tube.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Is getting both out of the question? I love my Octane 9 and have a 45 on the way......my sights on my 45 (FNX-45 tactical) clear my Liberty Miranda but sights on my Glock don't clear my Octane 9.......I don't have experience with the Osprey. If you don't mind sighting through your can then I say Octane (since it's versatile and can be taken down for cleaning should you decide to shoot cast boolits).....if sighting through is a big deal for you then maybe the Osprey would be better for your shooting.

You gonna use the can on any rifles? 300 BLK, etc......My 300 BLK (subs only) sound great with the Octane.

Good luck choosing if you can't do both.....can't hurt to have too many cans!
I've gotta stop this habit.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I own an Osprey9 and Ti-Rant 9s as well as a Glock 19. Like many, I also prefer the Osprey for clearance, but you lose the ability to fit most lights with this combination.

I ended up using the Ti-Rant on a Glock 17 with a TLR1 HL light for HD use while the Osprey9 has been relegated to backup HD/range use on a 19 simply for this issue.

In either case, high rise sights would help...

Edit to add - The Osprey is only slightly quieter shooting subs than the Ti-Rant. It's such a small difference that I would not make it the decision maker for me.

As far as cleaning... I'm pretty hard on my stuff and don't clean as often as I should. That being said, it's always nice to have the option of opening a can if needed...
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

whispershot wrote:Both cans weigh about the same

1oz difference in total weight but the weight distribution is different. Osprey is back heavy which makes Osprey lighter on the swing due to less leverage. It moves easier with the pistol. Not a big difference but I notice it.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The only reason to get an Osprey is if you absolutely want its unique shape. Otherwise theres no other viable reason. I'd choose the take-apart feature over unblocked sights any day.
No Rush

Post by No Rush »

I am liking all of the valid points that you all have stated.

Yes I do plan on getting can for a rifle. The Liberty Supp. Chaotic is at the top of that list.

I plan inputting aftermarket night sights on the g19 anyway, I will just have to get them in the taller version, haha. So sight picture is out of the mix.

So far the Octane seems to coming out on top.
More robust, user serviceable, everything else seems to be minimal.
And yes, one of the reasons that I like the Osprey is its shape.

So what exactly do you do with non user serviceable cans?
Send them to the factory for cleaning and maintenance?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Sorry for the short crappy reply ( was late) :mrgreen:

The Octane 9 is stronger ,more versatile ( you find yourself hunting for more style hosts and calibers), sounds amazing on 22, easy to clean, and sounds great with no FRP.

You can't clean the Osprey and have to send it in ( old tech) which means no 22lr or lead and watch the dirty ammo. The Octane is the honey badger, it doesn't care. :mrgreen:

You still don't get a full sight picture with the Osprey and as said Tac lights can be a issue. I shoot mostly through the can but my house 9mm (G34) has tall NS and they work great.

Glock suppressor sights are cheap and you can find NS for $50 sometimes. Standard prices here. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/ ... 53947.aspx

Here's an interesting test with 147 +P ( like home D) but the ammo is iffy. :lol: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luibsngmofM

SWR still rules let the name be remembered! :x
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!