Finally obtained both of my cans, Octane question

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Finally obtained both of my cans, Octane question

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Well, you've got talent my friend! I may take a look at Dollar tree or walmart for the cutting board but I found a couple plastic distributors in my area that may be willing to sell me some scrap. The easy can off tool you described is basically what I originally made from wood but a little more form fit to the cap. It's rough and ugly but it would do the job. I just happen to far prefer your design due to the ability to remove the end cap with it as well.

I'll do some looking tomorrow and see what plastics I can find.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I went with the easiest way for the end cap because I was in a hurry. :lol: it works good though.

The grip was 1 2/16th? I drilled a hole on each side then made the final cut the beveled the ends until it fit. ( .\ /. )

I didn't use other plastics or PVC sheet that takes glue because they can crack ( make sure to ask or just get a small cutting board ( same stuff)

I DO have an idea on making a piston shape on the grip with the material I used and may post later.

Have fun with the project.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Emilio wrote:Not selling stuff, just a guy in the garage screwing around. :mrgreen:
I'd feel better paying you something, but I suppose if you want to make these for FREE :D Shoot me a PM for my shipping address 8)
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ok here's a way to do the piston shape then you would have to fuse the piece on the grip with a soldering iron or two small screws.

I like my first method better, less sharp in the pocket and less PITA! :lol:

SWR could easily make a good tool on a CNC. :idea: :mrgreen:

Trace, then 1/4" drill bit.........

hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

You've got another great idea!. I found an old cutting board and cut out a tool just like you made except for the end that fits in the endcap of the can. I thinned it to fit into the grooves, instead of cutting a notch out in the middle. It isn't as strong as HDPE but it will definitely get the job done. That was a great idea for sure.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

Ok Emilio, you owe my wife a cutting board. Will finish this project tomorrow, the inside of the handle just took a little filing to accept the fixed barrel mount.

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

JOHN_E wrote:Ok Emilio, you owe my wife a cutting board.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking good.

Hyrule, it's about the same stuff soft on steel yet strong enough and won't crack like some plastics.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Make them so they fit in the pouch. :D

marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

JOHN_E wrote:Ok Emilio, you owe my wife a cutting board.
Don't lie...that was your cutting board
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Alright, I have a new questions for you guys. I ran my octane bafffles in my ultrasonic cleaner just like they showed in the videos using the Hornady one shot sonic solution for gun parts. After about 45 minutes I took the baffles out and there was still a good bit of buildup on the top of the baffles (my ultrasonic is a cheap one) but the stuff that was left was loosened quite a bit. What I'm concerned about is the baffles came out looking silver instead of having that yellowish look to them and I'm not sure if that's bad or won't matter. When I ran them I didn't take out the tube around the cage but after they came out silver I knocked it out and took a picture for comparison.

What do you guys think?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nCH262]Image
Thanks!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

The gold color is from heat treating. Mine are still gold so it must be your solution but nothing to worry about.

For stubborn spots pull the baffles out one at a time and scrub them wet with a bronze brush and drop them back in. Flip them on end too. They are hot so make a hook out of wire or a coat hanger.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

I've been tumbling in Steel Pins.
Emilio wrote:The gold color is from heat treating. Mine are still gold so it must be your solution but nothing to worry about.

For stubborn spots pull the baffles out one at a time and scrub them wet with a bronze brush and drop them back in. Flip them on end too. They are hot so make a hook out of wire or a coat hanger.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)