OSS Suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

3154tm
Silent Operator

OSS Suppressors

Post by 3154tm »

the narrator says that it's possible to have multiple caliber baffle sets to go with one registered housing and one stamp. didn't know that was possible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6uro6oH3w
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: OSS Suppressors

Post by whiterussian1974 »

ATF originally granted a variance for OSS to manufacture units using this design. They've since raided OSS Facilities and confiscated their inventory. The whole legal situation is in Limbo. Hopefully OSS's lawyers will push the original Decision letter through and be able to fill their orders.

But, who knows? Maybe they will agree to only sell to LE/Mil.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I assume that's a bad joke about a raid referring to the ares guys.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

66427vette wrote:I assume that's a bad joke about a raid referring to the ares guys.
No. I was reposting what I read in other Threads on this Site.
I have no direct knowledge. It's extremely possible that I misunderstood what was said by others.
I should have prefaced: To my knowledge...until Industry Professionals respond w better info.
Sorry for any confusion. :(
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
66427vette wrote:I assume that's a bad joke about a raid referring to the ares guys.
No. I was reposting what I read in other Threads on this Site.
I have no direct knowledge. It's extremely possible that I misunderstood what was said by others.
I should have prefaced: To my knowledge...until Industry Professionals respond w better info.
Sorry for any confusion. :(
What other threads?
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
OSSMission1

Post by OSSMission1 »

OSS has never been the subject of an ATF raid, the comments whiterussian1974 has made in this thread are reckless, untrue and slanderous. For up to date information please visit our website; Oss-online.com or Facebook page.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

OSSMission1 wrote:OSS has never been the subject of an ATF raid, the comments whiterussian1974 has made in this thread are reckless, untrue and slanderous. For up to date information please visit our website; Oss-online.com or Facebook page.
Untrue? Apparently.
Reckless? No, just repeating gossip from this site.
Slanderous? Mistakes don't equal slander. That requires a higher level of culpability. Such as Knowing or Intentional. You already said it was only Reckless. So, you've defeated your own accusation. A Finder of Fact (Jury or District Judge) would probably rule Negligent at worst. But probably just mistaken as I've argued.

Again, I apoligize for repeating unverified rumors.

BTW, which of these statements "ATF originally granted a variance for OSS to manufacture units using this design." (or) "Hopefully OSS's lawyers will push the original Decision letter through and be able to fill their orders." did you find slanderous? My statement that you had a legal right to manufacture this design, or my well wishes that you will continue producing your designs for customers?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

OSSMission1 wrote:OSS has never been the subject of an ATF raid, the comments whiterussian1974 has made in this thread are reckless, untrue and slanderous. For up to date information please visit our website; Oss-online.com or Facebook page.
That's what I thought . Keep up the good work!
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

This company is good to go. Once these cans really hit the market they'll be be hot to trot. Their products are just starting to trickle to the end user and reviews have been great.

Stay tuned.
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

AirCavBob wrote:
This company is good to go. Once these cans really hit the market they'll be be hot to trot. Their products are just starting to trickle to the end user and reviews have been great.
Actually, I know State Game Wardens who use their CTUs and LOVE them. They are a great design, compact, offer minimal extra muzzle weight, etc.

I'd love to see a demo with a view to buying one. I just don't want ATF to retroactively change their Rulings and require me to serialize multiple parts.
Otherwise, it's an ingenious design that takes great advantage of the volume around barrel to supply length to gas stream, rather than just lowering blowback.

And showing your internals at SHOT vs competitive internals is a great marketing technique. People often want to know how their tools work. Demystifing their operation makes some of us EndUsers more comfortable shooting them. Plus we want to financially support open and transparent Corps.

Many compliments OSS, inc.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

AirCavBob wrote:

Stay tuned.
I'm still extremely skeptical that they'll be able to compete reduction wise with the market leaders using traditional tech.
I guess we'll see. I also think their hex/octagon (can't remember which) tube = no mirage is BS. Test it with any rifle with an old-school octagonal barrel.
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

bitfi3nd wrote:
AirCavBob wrote:

Stay tuned.
I'm still extremely skeptical that they'll be able to compete reduction wise with the market leaders using traditional tech.
I guess we'll see. I also think their hex/octagon (can't remember which) tube = no mirage is BS. Test it with any rifle with an old-school octagonal barrel.
Barrels are a smaller overall OD vs their can. It should move the mirage out to the corners and well out of the op's view.
07/02 behind enemy lines
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

Grounded wrote:
bitfi3nd wrote:
AirCavBob wrote: This company is good to go. Once these cans really hit the market they'll be be hot to trot. Their products are just starting to trickle to the end user and reviews have been great.

Stay tuned.
Barrels are a smaller overall OD vs their can. It should move the mirage out to the corners and well out of the op's view.
Doubt it, (at least it's effectiveness in practice) along with many of their other claims.
A lot about them makes my pseudo-scientific marketing bullshit meter peg.

We'll see.
plumber576
Silent Operator

Post by plumber576 »

Thought I'd add a couple of the OSS Brake on an MR556 from the HK display at the NRA Annual Meeting.

AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

I’ve got my first batch coming in tomorrow. Unfortunately eForms is not going to allow From 3’s but it is my understanding paper 3’s are moving along at a fairly good clip. I’ll try to post a couple of pics early in the week.
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

bitfi3nd wrote: Doubt it, (at least it's effectiveness in practice) along with many of their other claims.
A lot about them makes my pseudo-scientific marketing bullshit meter peg.

We'll see.

Its likely useless for most people but for those running their guns hard or FA it will be helpful. I've seen that even engraved text disrupts mirage in my thermal testing.
07/02 behind enemy lines
AirCavBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by AirCavBob »

I’ve got some 5.56 and 7.62 models in on Form 3 ready to ship to your FFL.
01 FFL Class III SOT
South Central Kansas
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Is this the same can that they had at the HK range at shot? If so its pretty quiet and the recoil reduction is pretty good. I have shnot the 416 a lot in Afghanistan (Surefire Can) and then the MR556 with the OSS, they seem close from what I remember but hard to gauge. I wasn't into suppressors when I had to use one for work. It was just a tool to me.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!