anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Post Reply
zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:14 am

Is anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR. I'm in the process of setting up my trust and will be getting TROS to cut my PS90 shortly. Looking into what can to run on it and my Tavor. I'd like to get a can that can run on the Tavor, PS90 and any future 300 blkout or 308 builds. The SOCOM762-mini, at 6.2in, and 17 oz is shorter and lighter than the G5 a lot of people seem to run on their PS90s. Thought?

66427vette
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1873
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by 66427vette » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am

It will work on the p90 fine . I have a local guy running same set up . Not very quiet though.

bnanaphone
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:38 pm
Location: Central

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by bnanaphone » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:07 am

Wouldn't you be better off using a Spectre II or other rimfire silencer rated for 5.7x28mm? It would be 10 ounces lighter too. Granted, this means you may have to purchase the new silencer and wait a bit. Not sure on the noise reduction vs the SOCOM though.

zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 am

Thanks for the heads up.

I was afraid it would be a suboptimal set up. Any thoughts on another 762 alternative such as the YHM TI series or will all 762 cans be a problem.

If all 762s are a problem then was thinking go with a 556 YHM phantom ti or a AAC M4-2000 for the Tavor and PS90 and maybe an silencerco octain 45 to cover my pistol and 300blkout needs.

However I'm new to the suppressor game so very open to suggestions

Want to get as many NFA items on my trust before the proposed rule change and probably can afford more than two cans at the moment

66427vette
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1873
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by 66427vette » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:51 am

bnanaphone wrote:Wouldn't you be better off using a Spectre II or other rimfire silencer rated for 5.7x28mm? It would be 10 ounces lighter too. Granted, this means you may have to purchase the new silencer and wait a bit. Not sure on the noise reduction vs the SOCOM though.
I run a spect2 on mine and love it.

RJT
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:42 pm
Location: SoTx

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by RJT » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:11 am

Spectre II, Specwar 5.56, and 7.62 will get you covered nicely.


I should have mine in hand shortly.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

BearTHIS
Silent Operator
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by BearTHIS » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:33 pm

22lr sized cans are disappointing on a ps90 compared to 556 cans. Just warning you.

zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Well darn. Seems more complicated than I thought. :shock:

I've taken a closer look at the Specwar 556 and I like the results. A little longer and heavier than I'd like but if it doesn't negatively impact the operation of the PS90 I can live with that. Anyone run one on a PS90 here?

If I had to go with two cans right now I'm leaning towards the Specwar 556 for the Tavor and PS90 and octane 45 to give broad pistol cal coverage and 300 blkout subsonic. If I went with a third it would probably be the Spectre II.

Silencershop appears to have them all in stock at the moment.

domestique
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 am

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by domestique » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:33 pm

I think a dedicated 5.56 can would be a better option (socom5.56-rc/ saker 5.56/ specwar 5.56 etc. )

5.56 (on the Tavor) is going to be loud anyways, and the aded bore diameter of 7.62 won't help. I asked Garin of surefire the exact question a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the 5.56-rc will be quieter then the 7.62-mini (my host was going to be a 10.3" mk18 clone)

Do you plan on shooting 22lr? If not then I would go 5.56-rc and either a 9/45 Octane for 300 blk subs. Another option a lot of people suggest is the Liberty mystic (but I have no experience with them)

zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:59 pm

domestique wrote:I think a dedicated 5.56 can would be a better option (socom5.56-rc/ saker 5.56/ specwar 5.56 etc. )

5.56 (on the Tavor) is going to be loud anyways, and the aded bore diameter of 7.62 won't help. I asked Garin of surefire the exact question a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the 5.56-rc will be quieter then the 7.62-mini (my host was going to be a 10.3" mk18 clone)

Do you plan on shooting 22lr? If not then I would go 5.56-rc and either a 9/45 Octane for 300 blk subs. Another option a lot of people suggest is the Liberty mystic (but I have no experience with them)

I don't have a 22lr at the moment. I may pick one up eventually but at the moment it's not my priority.

My LGS has a octane 45 in stock that I got to look at, not shoot, today. I think it will serve my needs on the pistol side for now and assuming it can take it will try it on the PS90 as well.

After doing a little more research I'm thinking Saker 762 at this point for the Tavor. Almost the same size as the saker 556 and since you can swap the end caps to a 556 end it appears to work very well on 556, according to the video comparison on silencershop anyway.

As far as the Tavor being loud, just curious why it would any louder than any other suppressed 16.5" barreled 556 rifle?

domestique
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 am

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by domestique » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:54 pm

zorro2032 wrote:
domestique wrote:I think a dedicated 5.56 can would be a better option (socom5.56-rc/ saker 5.56/ specwar 5.56 etc. )

5.56 (on the Tavor) is going to be loud anyways, and the aded bore diameter of 7.62 won't help. I asked Garin of surefire the exact question a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the 5.56-rc will be quieter then the 7.62-mini (my host was going to be a 10.3" mk18 clone)

Do you plan on shooting 22lr? If not then I would go 5.56-rc and either a 9/45 Octane for 300 blk subs. Another option a lot of people suggest is the Liberty mystic (but I have no experience with them)

I don't have a 22lr at the moment. I may pick one up eventually but at the moment it's not my priority.

My LGS has a octane 45 in stock that I got to look at, not shoot, today. I think it will serve my needs on the pistol side for now and assuming it can take it will try it on the PS90 as well.

After doing a little more research I'm thinking Saker 762 at this point for the Tavor. Almost the same size as the saker 556 and since you can swap the end caps to a 556 end it appears to work very well on 556, according to the video comparison on silencershop anyway.

As far as the Tavor being loud, just curious why it would any louder than any other suppressed 16.5" barreled 556 rifle?


I was referring to the Tavor, as being 5.56 (instead of the 5.7 for the PS90) which 5.56 caliber is loud. I wasn't referring that the Tavor in particular is louder.

The Saker looks awesome (I personally have a socom 762-rc) but get to wait a couple months on the saker. I believe the 762 version is only now shipping.

Whatever you do, do NOT place an order through a dealer. Either buy what they already have on stock or buy from an online source (silencer shop, sk arms, etc. ) that has one in stock and you can start a form 3 transfer.

zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:37 pm

domestique wrote:
zorro2032 wrote:
domestique wrote:I think a dedicated 5.56 can would be a better option (socom5.56-rc/ saker 5.56/ specwar 5.56 etc. )

5.56 (on the Tavor) is going to be loud anyways, and the aded bore diameter of 7.62 won't help. I asked Garin of surefire the exact question a couple weeks ago and he mentioned the 5.56-rc will be quieter then the 7.62-mini (my host was going to be a 10.3" mk18 clone)

Do you plan on shooting 22lr? If not then I would go 5.56-rc and either a 9/45 Octane for 300 blk subs. Another option a lot of people suggest is the Liberty mystic (but I have no experience with them)

I don't have a 22lr at the moment. I may pick one up eventually but at the moment it's not my priority.

My LGS has a octane 45 in stock that I got to look at, not shoot, today. I think it will serve my needs on the pistol side for now and assuming it can take it will try it on the PS90 as well.

After doing a little more research I'm thinking Saker 762 at this point for the Tavor. Almost the same size as the saker 556 and since you can swap the end caps to a 556 end it appears to work very well on 556, according to the video comparison on silencershop anyway.

As far as the Tavor being loud, just curious why it would any louder than any other suppressed 16.5" barreled 556 rifle?


I was referring to the Tavor, as being 5.56 (instead of the 5.7 for the PS90) which 5.56 caliber is loud. I wasn't referring that the Tavor in particular is louder.

The Saker looks awesome (I personally have a socom 762-rc) but get to wait a couple months on the saker. I believe the 762 version is only now shipping.

Whatever you do, do NOT place an order through a dealer. Either buy what they already have on stock or buy from an online source (silencer shop, sk arms, etc. ) that has one in stock and you can start a form 3 transfer.
Well, got the email from silencershop tonight that they had Saker 762 in stock. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on one one. Actually, my trust wont be finished until next week, I assume that will just delay the process and not be a problem.

They are out of the Octane 45 but my LGS has one

User avatar
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Oregon Territory

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by Abiqua » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:08 am

Your trust being ready next week will not delay your sending in the Form 4. Unless you're local to Silencer Shop, it's gonna take longer than that for the Form 3 to transfer it to your local dealer.
I use an M4-2000 on my PS90, supersonic 5.7 is still loud.

zorro2032
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by zorro2032 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:14 am

Abiqua wrote:Your trust being ready next week will not delay your sending in the Form 4. Unless you're local to Silencer Shop, it's gonna take longer than that for the Form 3 to transfer it to your local dealer.
I use an M4-2000 on my PS90, supersonic 5.7 is still loud.

I was actually hoping to utilize silencershop.com "direct" service. I believe they contract with your local shop for pickup but silencershop does the form 4. Anyone here ever use this service? Website makes it sound like it speeds up the process, no need to do the form 3?

seattlite
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: PNW

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by seattlite » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Form 3 will need be completed for the transfer of the suppressor to the local dealer.

Question: Can Silencershop do both the Form 3 and Form 4 concurrently?

domestique
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:08 am

Re: anyone running a SOCOM 762 mini on a PS90 SBR

Post by domestique » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 pm

seattlite wrote:Form 3 will need be completed for the transfer of the suppressor to the local dealer.

Question: Can Silencershop do both the Form 3 and Form 4 concurrently?

That is their direct service. But not all local shops are partners with them. You would have to call and find out.


Also the e-file website is down for indefinitely (no one knows when it will be back).

Post Reply