Glock 17 gen 3 cycling with Octane 9 HD

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bg556
Silent Operator

Glock 17 gen 3 cycling with Octane 9 HD

Post by bg556 »

Tried this under the Glock specific thread, no responses....

I've read of similar problems, with the Glock not cycling at all, but here's my issue

Having issues with cycling. Slide will hang 1/4" back until trigger is fully depressed, which makes double taps impossible. The barrel is from Gemtech, factory guide rod and spring. I tried re-lubing the piston, still no change. Suggestions from someone who may have encountered this? The barrel has had 200+ rounds through it and should be passed, for the most part, the break-in period.

Thanks for any help
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Glock 17 gen 3 cycling with Octane 9 HD

Post by 66427vette »

Ammo info?
bg556
Silent Operator

Post by bg556 »

147 g fmj remington
124 g fmj aguella(sp?)
Same results with both
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

bg556 wrote: Slide will hang 1/4" back until trigger is fully depressed
Depressed or do you mean fully "released" for reset ?

I was shooting a brand new 3 gen 19 that worked perfect stock but with a new LW barrel ( same as GT?) with suppressor on, the slide would stay 1/4" from closed *IF* you held the trigger in for reset. Funny thing was when you let go of the trigger the slide would then close and fire fine, the gun worked 100% but very annoying. Also worked fine if you let the trigger out fast.

Never got to try that same barrel without suppressor to test if it was weight or fit issue. Does your work with same barrel without can?

Wish I got to trouble shoot this gun but could probably figure it out by,,,,,

Trying a slightly heavier recoil spring. ( to close slide) ( to help tight barrel.)
Inspecting the carry up of the barrel right before final lock up ( hood and lug)
Inspecting for drag from the trigger bar and system with weight on the end of the barrel.

Something was causing drag, maybe I could grab one of my Glocks and try and figure out what " could "cause this.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
bg556
Silent Operator

Post by bg556 »

Emilio,
Exact situation. Prevents a quick followup shot, and to be honest is jusy annoying yhat it wont cycle properly.
Gun runs perfectly unsuppressed.
And as far as the barrel, it is a Gemtech but had the lonewolf wolf stamped underneath
Last edited by bg556 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

bg556 wrote:Emilio,
Exact situation. Prevents a quick followup shot, and to be honest is jusy annpying yhat it wont cycle properly.
And as far as the barrel, it is a Gemtech but had the lonewolf wolf stamped underneath
Ok, I'm betting barrel fit is slightly off at or near or on lock up. ( tight is always better than loose) If you have the stock barrel you can compare the two by pulling and holding the trigger ( mag out unloaded :mrgreen: ) and slowly letting the slide go barrel in the air with 1/2" and 1/4" left of the slide. See if the stock one is easier.

Now look at the top front of the lug on the barrel ( [ ) where it meets the slide. Do you see more wear on the beveled part than on the stock barrel ? ( / ) this part drags inside the slide before total lock up while the back ( ] ) rides the breach face. The beveled part ( / ) up front is not as important as the two ends and sides ( [ ] & L's ) which locks the barrel tight when firing.

You could try to smooth the angle of the (/) but the ( [ & ] ) should be adjusted by a smith if you haven't fitted one before .

A slightly heavier recoil spring may help bring the slide home until it breaks in more but only use the heavier spring for suppressed and not for self D unless reliable with the stock barrel.

The LW/ GT barrel will be softer than the Glock slide and should wear in " if " the fit is close.

What also drags the slide is the trigger bar riding the firing pin safety plunger as well as clambering a round.

Hope this makes sense. :lol:
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The Glock factory threaded barrels don't have these fitment/tolerance/break-in issues, which is why i always recommend them first. Granted, they are impossible to find nowadays though.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

rimshaker wrote:The Glock factory threaded barrels don't have these fitment/tolerance/break-in issues, which is why i always recommend them first. Granted, they are impossible to find nowadays though.
All mine have dropped in and work perfect but they are the easiest barrels to fit regardless.

After market has Common RH threads and better chambers and rifling for reloads and HC lead.

I do recommend stock non threaded barrels for carry. :mrgreen:
Stout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stout »

You may try to cycle it manually. With the can attached, press your offhand palm against the back of the slide to prevent it from cycling. After the shot, cycle by hand to see what may be causing it to hang.

I think I have a bit heavier spring in my 34 with a threaded 17L barrel. I just remember seeing a Glock spring parts bag in my spare parts or I'd tell you for sure.

edit: I checked the packaging and it seems I have a 13lb spring in the 34. I am running the SWR Trident 9 with booster with no issues. 147 gr with 3.6 gr Titegroup.