10/22 barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

lopezel

10/22 barrel

Post by lopezel »

Does anyone here have one of these barrel: http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/categ ... l-upgrades

I'm thinking about buying one but wanted to see if anyone had experience with it.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Re: 10/22 barrel

Post by ncorry »

I've got three of TacSol's barrels- 2@ 10/22 X-Ring barrels and 1 Ruger Pac Lite for a MKII. All 3 shoot great and the steel liner though aluminum barrel is absolutely awesome to hold. I do not have one of the SBX 10/22 barrels that you were specifically asking about, although I have been eyeing them for a long time. They are on my wish list.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Are you talking about the shrouded SB-X barrel ?

Just put one on my super light hiking/hunting 10/22 to keep it short and light without a stamp. It saved 1/2 LBS over the stock barrel cut to 16 1/4" and much shorter suppressed. If you have a Sparrow it will be a little tight because its a fat can.

It's steel sleeved but not steel shanked at the ends so you need to be careful with the threads and keep the bolt and barrel face clean. It won't be match accurate but better than stock.

KIDD LW barrels will be more accurate but don't offer a shroud and he uses longer threads.

There was guy on RFC that was selling one NIB for $200 shipped and a guy on fleabay for $228 shipped. Those are the best retail prices I've seen ( shipped)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

I have one of the SBX barrels. Because the breech face is aluminum, the bolt will eventually peen it so much that rounds may no longer chamber.

I've seen pictures of some breech faces that are pretty beaten up. I wish I had gotten a steel breeched barrel.

EDIT: forgot to add that the first time I used it, the end cap from my .22 silencer got stuck INSIDE the shroud. It took a long time and a lot of profanity to get it out.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I have the SB-X and my good experiences are similar to others. Light, accurate for the length and a high tolerance for all kinds of ammo.

The short OAL is handy riding around the ranch in a mule on pest control.

I haven't inspected the threads or the breech face in a while so I can't add to the confirmation or denial any of the issues raised. I can only make the observation that these claims seem quite reasonable and remind me I need to pull mine out of the safe for a spring cleaning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I see the same pros and cons as others who posted before me.....especially losing an endcap for a while inside the shroud. But so far I like the little booger more than I dislike it. I haven't had much time to shoot it just yet though cause I'm waiting on it to be fitted to a stock that I purchased......it didn't fit quite right on the Promag Archangel stock and I haven't had my guy get it fitted onto the stock yet.

Love how compact it is without having to pay a tax stamp though....and I think it looks pretty cool either way.
I've gotta stop this habit.
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

I have an SBX barrel with a hogue overmolded stock. great combo, love the feel and it's very quick handling because it's short. I don't have a can for it yet but that's in the works soon...

crummy photo with cheap scope on it:

vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

With the right lightweight stock(Axiom or AGP) and open/peep sights this SBX barrel allows a compact yet sub 4lb rifle, even with an aluminum 2-3oz suppressor attached. Of course it would be better to have a steel breech face.
themonk
Silent Operator

Post by themonk »

I have a TacSol and a Kidd Ultra Lightweight. I like the Kidd better