Suggest a .30 suppressor.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.
plcdwg101

Suggest a .30 suppressor.

Post by plcdwg101 »

Newbee question. I'll say I'm dreaming of a .30 cal suppressor that I can use on: .300blk SBR, 16" DPMS in .308 and maybe even a 308 bolt gun. I say dreaming because I do not know if one unit can cover all the roles? I would say that weight and durability are the most important followed closely by how well it will group. Is there one unit that can serve all roles and be sub moa? Thoughts / suggestions? Thanks
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suggest a .30 suppressor.

Post by MCKNBRD »

Weight...durability...accuracy.

3 key things you mentioned...but not necessarily that easy to get together.

Durability? 762-SDN-6, Saker, Specwar...

Weight? Any of the myriad Ti offerings, or perhaps SilencerCo's Harvester.

Accuracy? Whole different animal, there. If you're looking for a sub-MOA tackdriver, you're going to need to build a rifle specifically for the can you have for THAT system, and just plan on keeping it on that gun in perpetuity; if you remove the can, you've lost your zero.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but Weight offsets durability, most of the time, and accuracy is dependent on the system: the rifle, glass, ammo, suppressor, and the loose nut behind the trigger.

Byrdman
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Silencerco Specwar 7.62
AAC Cyclone
Silencerco Saker 7.62
TBAC 30P1

All you have to decide on is direct thread or QD, and budget. All 4 are known for accuracy, and durability.

I have a Cyclone pending, but it's going to spend all it's time on a .308 bolt gun. If youre going to swap hosts a lot, look into the 2 Silencerco suppressors, and the 30P1, all 3 are muzzle device mounted.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

RJT wrote:Silencerco Specwar 7.62
AAC Cyclone
Silencerco Saker 7.62
TBAC 30P1

All you have to decide on is direct thread or QD, and budget. All 4 are known for accuracy, and durability.

I have a Cyclone pending, but it's going to spend all it's time on a .308 bolt gun. If youre going to swap hosts a lot, look into the 2 Silencerco suppressors, and the 30P1, all 3 are muzzle device mounted.
and you've listed some of the heaviest silencers on the market...
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

Take a look at the AAC 300-TM as well. It's all titanium so use common sense with firing schedule.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

dtom29 wrote:
AAC Cyclone
Silencerco Saker 7.62
TBAC 30P1

Well s**t, 2 out of 3 requirements is pretty good. :D
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

There is no reason that a suppressor will automatically increase group size. However, it can shift the POI and it is an unknown until you've spent the money and played the waiting game.

I like the Specwar 7.62 and 300TM, there are other good 30 cal cans out there though.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

I'm not a sales person for SureFire, but I went with their SOCOM762-RC can when faced with the same decision. QD muzzle brakes or flash hiders mounts, and the 762 can also be used on 5.56 and 300 BLK mounts (and other calibers less than .30 cal). Also rated up to 300 WM. It can not be taken apart, and is expensive.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

RJT wrote:
dtom29 wrote:
AAC Cyclone
Silencerco Saker 7.62
TBAC 30P1

Well s**t, 2 out of 3 requirements is pretty good. :D
LOL
oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

Ive had my 7.62 SDN 6 a couple years now. I've got 308 rounds through an AR-10 & Rem 700 bolt gun and 5.56 in an AR-15. I couldn't be happier, good sound suppression and POI shift is not more than a few inches on any one and 100% repeatable. And without the can my AR-10 with brakeout flash hider/ muzzle brake recoils like an AR 15. Just a lot louder!
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I run a Gemtech Sandstorm. 13.3 ounces, and great suppression. Very little POI shift because it's so light. I've shot with it on a Remington bolt 308, Keltec RFB 308, Sig 556, Multiple AR's, and currently on my 8.5 inch 300 blk SBR. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I like direct thread on suppressors but if I was going QD I 'd buy the Quicksand.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

My Liberty Freedom Mag is great on my .308 Savage Hog Hunter. And should I get my 300 win mag threaded it'll handle that job as well. After sighting it in my bullet holes were almost touching at 100 yards.

It's not light, but durable for sure! Liberty is also a great company to do business with.
I've gotta stop this habit.
blueheeler66

Post by blueheeler66 »

OJB4, it's addictive ain't it.

In the process of getting a 8.2" 300 Blackout build together now; have a TBA 30P-1 and a SAS Arbiter in jail right now and plan on running one of them on the Blackout.

Using a AAC Cyclone and a Liberty Victory on other stuff.

My priorities are quietness, accuracy, weight, durability. I'll give up length for decibels.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

dtom29 wrote:I run a Gemtech Sandstorm. 13.3 ounces, and great suppression. Very little POI shift because it's so light. I've shot with it on a Remington bolt 308, Keltec RFB 308, Sig 556, Multiple AR's, and currently on my 8.5 inch 300 blk SBR. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I like direct thread on suppressors but if I was going QD I 'd buy the Quicksand.

Same here. I love it on my Rem 308 bolt and I will try it on my ARs this spring.
Liberty Suppress

Post by Liberty Suppress »

Look at either the Freedom or the Victory from Liberty Suppressors.

http://libertycans.net/

Tim @ Liberty
Liberty Suppressors
"Maker of the world's greatest firearm suppressors."
www.libertycans.net
706-661-6911
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Kramer wrote:
dtom29 wrote:I run a Gemtech Sandstorm. 13.3 ounces, and great suppression. Very little POI shift because it's so light. I've shot with it on a Remington bolt 308, Keltec RFB 308, Sig 556, Multiple AR's, and currently on my 8.5 inch 300 blk SBR. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I like direct thread on suppressors but if I was going QD I 'd buy the Quicksand.

Same here. I love it on my Rem 308 bolt and I will try it on my ARs this spring.
I use Gemtech's adaptor to go from 5/8x24 to 1/2x 28. It adds about 3/16 (maybe 1/4)to the length of the silencer when in use.
rjrivero
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjrivero »

I got an Allen Engineering AE30 out of NFA Jail earlier this month. I'll be shooting a Precision Rifle class this weekend with it.
Badfinger

Post by Badfinger »

dtom29 wrote:
dtom29, I would you please stop making these ridiculous comments about weight! Have you ever used these suppressors? Could you tell the difference between them in a blind test? I have used some of them and weight isn't an issue unless maybe you're making a 50 mile march. I'm concerned that you may be helping people make bad purchasing decisions because of you obsession with a few onces of weight. Non issue!
You can't miss fast enough to make-up for a well placed shot.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Badfinger wrote:dtom29, I would you please stop making these ridiculous comments about weight! Have you ever used these suppressors? Could you tell the difference between them in a blind test? I have used some of them and weight isn't an issue unless maybe you're making a 50 mile march. I'm concerned that you may be helping people make bad purchasing decisions because of you obsession with a few onces of weight. Non issue!
Not necessarily...weight isn't really an issue if the longest trip your suppressed rifle takes is from the trunk to the bench. If you actually carry your rifle further than that, it is definitely a factor. POI shift is typically more significant with higher weights, too.

I'd avoid making blanket statements like weight being a non-issue...because different folks have different needs/wants/requirements for their cans. Pointing out weights is just another way of differentiating products, and its a critical factor for many.

Byrdman
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work … you can always hit them with it........
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

RJT wrote:Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work … you can always hit them with it........
:lol:

Thanks, Boris.
Badfinger

Post by Badfinger »

Byrdman, I hear you and respect your opinion but I stand by my statement. Are we buying suppressors or paper weights? If anything the weight of the can steadies the weapon, gives stability to a light wippy gun, reduces muzzle flip, and felt recoil, all for a few onces. Oh yeah, it also makes it quieter.

I think you trunk to bench comment supports my position because that's probably the extent of travel of most users. Remember, we're only talking about the difference in weight between two suppressors. How is the few onces a critical factor??? Can you give an instance where the "heavier suppressor" ruined the day or kept someone from getting the shot? Or making it back to the trunk :mrgreen:

Good discussion!

Jim
You can't miss fast enough to make-up for a well placed shot.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Weight doesn't "steady a weapon" :roll: I hunt with my suppressors, so yes mine make it farther than from the trunk to the bench.. I have a heavy silencer, the first one I bought. It sits in my safe because once you use a light weight silencer you will see and feel the difference. Any extra weight on the end of your gun slows your swing when trying to get onto a moving target. Once that weight is moving there is more of a tendency to over swing because of that weight. So, the least amount of weight added the better. I'm trying to make sure people think about what the weight difference. Don't make my mistake. As far as your statement that a heavy silencer is quieter....B.S.... some are, most aren't. There are very few owners that extol the virtue of a heavy silencer over a light weight. If what you say is true then why are so many people willing to pay the premium for lighter weight? According to you we are all paying for less suppression, less stability, and more felt recoil...hmmm, somehow I don't think so. I'll ask you the same question, Have you used a light weight suppressor? Oh, and yes, I can tell the difference in a blind test. I've never carried a scale around SHOT, or at a suppressor shoot but because I own and have used a number of suppressors I know the difference between a heavy and light silencer just from picking them up. MCKNBRD said it well....
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Badfinger, I have to admit to two distinct 'benchmarks' in my mindset:
1) I'm a Scout Rifle afficionado, and see great advantages to trying to meet LTC Cooper's 'Scout Criteria'... (weight typically being the hardest one to hit!)
2) I did 5 years behind a firearms counter in a major outdoor retailer chain.

How does that hone my opinions? First off, I'm not one of those dogmatic Cooperites; the man was smart, articulate, and was easily one of the most influential characters in the firearms industry in the past 50-ish years. Having said that, his scout rifle is an excellent concept, and one that must be taken afield to appreciate. Which I have done. Not enough, but it has been done. I've carried it far enough to be happy with the fact that mine weighs closer to the 'ideal' than it does a Garand. As stated above, every few ounces count...the old adage that ounces make pounds, and pounds make pain is VERY true.

Secondly, my time behind a firearms counter has jaded me AGAINST the concept of absolutes or expression of opinion as holy writ; listen to the customer, let them tell you what is important, then make 2 or 3 recommendations based on their criteria.

Obviously, weight isn't important to you. It is to many, though. There is a reason that folks pay the premium for titanium or other materials/methods to lighten a can. From my experience a couple of weeks ago, where I heard a HUGE spectrum of cans in one day, how a can meters isn't huge on my list anymore. I was surprised at how little variation there was in how the different cans sounded to me, despite being 3 or 4 db difference in how they meter. Size, weight, manufacturer support, and appearance are all factors that are much more important to me.

Byrdman
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Different strokes, for different folks. Weight was a complete non-issue for me, I wanted sound reduction, and repatable POI. My longest walk is from the trailer to the truck, and the truck to the stairs of my deer blinds. I actually spend more time shooting from my truck than anything else.