Sig jumps into the ring.....

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sig jumps into the ring.....

Post by whiterussian1974 »

This is a commercial muzzlebrake that comes w a "sleeve" to convert it to "flash hider."
The ATF hasn't kicked down their doors yet.

Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. No matter what Bill Clinton repurposed it for. :P
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

Conqueror wrote:The truth is, almost every rifle muzzle brake can be made into a silencer if you enclose it in a tube. It might not be super effective, but I bet a JP muzzle brake with a tube over it would shave a couple dB off the report. I like this lawsuit. Sig claims to have meter data showing that it amplifies the report and reduces recoil, which would support its claim that the device functions as a muzzle brake when not enclosed. I don't like the whole "it looks like baffles so it's a silencer" thought process, since that could be true of many muzzle brakes.
Yep. They have a case, and the ATF is going to have a hard time.
I knew they weren't going to let that go to market, but honestly because of the exact reasons you mention, their argument isn't going to hold water. Even if they try a "only muzzle brakes that work REALLY WELL as a baffle stack inside a tube are suppressor parts", they have a very old & contradictory ruling with the XM177 moderator.

It will be interesting to watch.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

bitfi3nd wrote:
Conqueror wrote:The truth is, almost every rifle muzzle brake can be made into a silencer if you enclose it in a tube.
I knew they weren't going to let that go to market, but honestly because of the exact reasons you mention, their argument isn't going to hold water.

It will be interesting to watch.
Do we want to make odds on whether Osama makes a Signing Statement/Exec Order to cover anything even getting close to a muzzle brake longer than 2.5"?

Or maybe Dems will use it as a lightning rod issue for further 2nd Amend erosion.
GHEN
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GHEN »

A) I found it disconcerting that many respected members of this board, upon hearing of the ATF's decision had the attitude of "well, sure, of course".

B) I cannot see how the ATF will prevail here.

C) SIG has definitely earned my business. I don't buy SIG products because the generally haven't appealed to me as much as others but from now on when considering a new firearms purchase SIG products will be ones I look at much more closely.

GHEN
lopezel

Post by lopezel »

GHEN wrote:A) I found it disconcerting that many respected members of this board, upon hearing of the ATF's decision had the attitude of "well, sure, of course".

C) SIG has definitely earned my business. I don't buy SIG products because the generally haven't appealed to me as much as others but from now on when considering a new firearms purchase SIG products will be ones I look at much more closely.

GHEN
This.

I will definitely look at Sig for my next firearm and accessories purchases.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

GHEN wrote:A) I found it disconcerting that many respected members of this board, upon hearing of the ATF's decision had the attitude of "well, sure, of course".

GHEN
Although I agree w you in Principle, I'll address your points.
A) I too was disheartened by Member response. It should have been: Let's flood our Sen and Reps w emails to their Offices and Campaign. This is an Election Year.

B) ATF will prevail b/c the system is rigged. Gov does whatever it pleases until Taxpayers demand different. (See Bundy Ranch Incident)

C) I prefer Glock over Sig Pistols. But I too will be more likely to purchase their activewear and rifles. If they made a Legal Defense Fund Tshirt w the design on it and link to a page explaining their position, I would DEFINITELY buy it. As would 100s of people that I know. (It was discussed before Shift Change at work.)