Suppressor on a Glock 42

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bladesmith2

Suppressor on a Glock 42

Post by bladesmith2 »

This setup works good Only a few hours work produced this
Dull knives never find their way from the bottom of the drawer.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppressor on a Glock 42

Post by TROOPER »

Do you have any full-size 9mm cans on a 9mm handgun? If so, how does this setup compare to the 9mm setup? If you have meter data, great! If not, what is your subjective opinion? I ask because I have a 380 also, and I am very interested in getting it suppressed with a Nano or Poesidon, but I cannot find any data for "micro-cans" on a 380. My thought process is that the smaller volume silencer is - at least partially - counter-balanced by the lower powder/power 380.

Also, does the 42 utilize the same tilt-barrel lock-up? Or is it the more common blow-back associated with other 380s? It's always been the blowback mechanism that prevents a 380 from being very good for suppression, not the 380 round itself (I'm sure you knew that, but other people who read this thread may not have known that.)
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Need some details on that threaded barrel.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

Did you make the barrel? It doesn't look factory.

I am a bit concerned about that gap between the barrel and the slide at the locking interface. A locked breach pistol shouldn't have relative movement between the barrel and slide until it unlocks.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

HandyMan wrote:Did you make the barrel? It doesn't look factory.

I am a bit concerned about that gap between the barrel and the slide at the locking interface. A locked breach pistol shouldn't have relative movement between the barrel and slide until it unlocks.
I'm pretty sure that's not a gap, just a shadow
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Jt.kline19 wrote:
HandyMan wrote:I am a bit concerned about that gap between the barrel and the slide at the locking interface.
I'm pretty sure that's not a gap, just a shadow
It's a bevelled case deflection surface. The angle and finish makes it look like shadow/gap.

It's also an aftermarket barrel. Factory would have cartridge and serial# matching the frame engraved on barrel surface viewed through ejection port..
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Forgot to add, that is a sweet little setup.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

HandyMan wrote:Did you make the barrel? It doesn't look factory.

Didn't want to say anything but I noticed the gap also, can clearly see it blown up on my IPad. You can see the mill marks on the side too.

Home made "one off" barrel? If so good job but the gap is scary.

Also nice to finally see a logical reason for the 42 ( over 9mm ) since 380 is sub sonic. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

Damn, been dying to do this buy my machinist said to wait on lone wolf. Awesome set up!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

I blew it up on my 19" and 32" screens. MS Paint @ 800% zoom.

Clearly a bevelled surface. Tried to blow it up and saved it above. But pixelation makes it way hazier than original zoomed 800% on 32" screen. HDMI on Vizio LCD Flatscreen.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Here are some reference pics w Stainless barrel to show contrast.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

You're not looking at the front top lock up, you can see it without blowing it up. Should be tight.

I don't think you get it. :mrgreen:

Good chance it's a prop anyway.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Emilio wrote:You're not looking at the front top lock up, you can see it without blowing it up. Should be tight.
You're right. I was looking at the wrong area. Now I see what you mean.
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

I shot a 42 this past sat . I wish they had made it in 9mm . With that being said it is a locked breech .380 so it should suppress well . Adding a barrel extension ( think wather p22 ) shouldn't be too hard to do . The Nano in the OP's post is a wipe / wet can IIRC .
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

zach h wrote:I shot a 42 this past sat . I wish they had made it in 9mm . With that being said it is a locked breech .380 so it should suppress well . Adding a barrel extension ( think wather p22 ) shouldn't be too hard to do . The Nano in the OP's post is a wipe / wet can IIRC .
I doubt a walther P22 barrel adapter would work
Member of LSU
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

Jt.kline19 wrote:
zach h wrote:I shot a 42 this past sat . I wish they had made it in 9mm . With that being said it is a locked breech .380 so it should suppress well . Adding a barrel extension ( think wather p22 ) shouldn't be too hard to do . The Nano in the OP's post is a wipe / wet can IIRC .
I doubt a walther P22 barrel adapter would work
Not an extension for a P22 , just make one like it . I didn't measure the barrel dia but it looked smaller than 1/2" .
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

One of my customers just did a threaded extension on his and works just fine. Most shy away for liability reasons.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

If quality after market threaded barrels were available I might consider one just to suppress it. Otherwise I have zero use for it.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

.300WinMag wrote:If quality after market threaded barrels were available I might consider one just to suppress it. Otherwise I have zero use for it.
Do not think it was much work. From the time they talked about it to being done was week well before morning coffee break. Just another toy.
bladesmith2

Post by bladesmith2 »

I made the barrel from a left over stub off a 9mm blank. It took several hours to make the hardest part was cutting the lug on the bottom of the barrel. The DeGroat Nano silencer is so light it did not need a piston to work. It was not as quiet as I hoped but still seems hearing safe. I do not have any way to test sound levels. DeGroat might have data on it but does not have it on his website. Glock made the 42 with a barrel just under .500 so this made the 42 a good choice for a suppressor with 1/2" 28 threads. Because the barrel is only 1/2" the suppressor does not have a shoulder to seat against. This one bottoms out on the threads. Before I started this project I called Lone Wolf. They told me they were several months or more out on barrels so I just made my own. The space in front of the slide is necessary to keep the guide rod Glock uses from hitting the suppressor. This one clears it by less than 1/32". The next one I make will be a little bit longer. This one was made from something I had laying around. The lug area on this barrel was tig welded up because the blank I had was too small to make the lug on the bottom of the barrel. I got a larger od blank from Green Mountain for the next one. I will post a few more pictures.

Dull knives never find their way from the bottom of the drawer.
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

bladesmith2 wrote:I made the barrel from a left over stub off a 9mm blank. It took several hours to make the hardest part was cutting the lug on the bottom of the barrel. The DeGroat Nano silencer is so light it did not need a piston to work. It was not as quiet as I hoped but still seems hearing safe. I do not have any way to test sound levels. DeGroat might have data on it but does not have it on his website. Glock made the 42 with a barrel just under .500 so this made the 42 a good choice for a suppressor with 1/2" 28 threads. Because the barrel is only 1/2" the suppressor does not have a shoulder to seat against. This one bottoms out on the threads. Before I started this project I called Lone Wolf. They told me they were several months or more out on barrels so I just made my own. The space in front of the slide is necessary to keep the guide rod Glock uses from hitting the suppressor. This one clears it by less than 1/32". The next one I make will be a little bit longer. This one was made from something I had laying around. The lug area on this barrel was tig welded up because the blank I had was too small to make the lug on the bottom of the barrel. I got a larger od blank from Green Mountain for the next one. I will post a few more pictures.

Why do you think it was loud? Can design or port pop? tried a heavier recoil spring?

HKschalldampfer

Post by HKschalldampfer »

Clowning around tonight just to see what it would look like. Glock 42 with AAC EVO 9.

Maybe someone could make this a reality. It serves no practical purpose but the G42 coupled with a Tirant 9 short would be fun.
panaceabeachbum
Silent Operator

Post by panaceabeachbum »

or even better with a Thompson Machine Posiedon :shock:
RICHARD THOMPSON
www.thompsonmachine.net
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

G42 with a Tirant 9S would loook sexy.