New to this quiet world of silencers

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

TMGRUNT

New to this quiet world of silencers

Post by TMGRUNT »

Introduction to this site: My youngest son (28) and I (63) have recently (this past weekend ) purchased silencers. We know very little about the subject but have been learning quickly. We certainly aren't newbees to the gun world ... Just brand new to the quiet side. We both purchased AAC 7.62 SDN-6 QD silencers. The weapons that they are to be attached to are Remington 700s in 7.62 (3 different models) and Rock River & Bushmaster ARs and an ACR all in 5.56. We bought these particular silencers because we had read some good reviews on them AND they were ON SALE to boot. We have time to kill while the paperwork goes through. We want to prep our weapons while we are waiting. Most of the rifles they are intended for are not threaded (at all). 2 have flash suppressors and 1 is threaded for silencer or adaptor. I joined this talk site in hopes of finding out more about the subject (i.e.: types of set ups, muzzle brakes, Flash hider, QD vs screw on, accuracy issues for LR shooting, cleaning and maintenance .... You know .... The whole gamut) ! We also have some handguns that we intend to silence as well. I'm not a big computer junky and am not into social internet media much but was hoping to learn more this way from guys in the know. Sooooo..... I'm listening closely and will have a lot of very basic and possibly stupid questions to ask. Looking forward to your input. :)
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to this quiet world of silencers

Post by Dr.K »

If the guns have flash suppressors, my guess is that they are threaded on, and those guns might actually have threads.
Kyle O.
TMGRUNT

Post by TMGRUNT »

I agree that, that particular rifle is threaded. What my intentions are is to have all barrels with the same Make/Model adaptors on every barrel so I can move the silencer quickly from one to another. I'm hoping that every barrel can be threaded that way realizing thier diffences in thickness and usable metal diameters. The Silencer should be good for both calibers to be used. Will there be any appreciable differences in amount of Db suppression between the two calibers?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Since you have a SDN6 You will need AAC 51 tooth flash hiders or brakes for each gun so buy them on sale. 762/308 and 556/223 have different threads.

Both calibers will be loud do to the sonic crack ( FPS ) but you can shoot sub sonic in 308 to be quiet. 223 is one of the loudest. Make sure to check that bushmaster is threaded center to the bore.

You can buy a 300 blackout barrel or upper for your AR to be more quiet also.

Ask here before buying pistol cans. :D

Also 22lr is the most quiet then 9mm.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

You will still need different adapters. A 5.56, or at least mine has a 1/2x28 inch threads. My 308 and 300 BLK are 5/8x24 inch. They are not that hard to change around but some of the adapters can get into the $75.00-$100.00 each range. They also may be specific for your brand of suppressor.

Another issue that caught me. I bought a .40 can and use it on my 9mm as well. The standard for a .40 is 9/16x24 threads. Lucky me, the only threaded barrel for my Sig P229 .40 I could find has 1/2x28 threads. I'll have to take it to a gun shop to get the 9mm hole enlarged so a .40 bullet will fit through.

At least adapters don't need to go through a firearms dealer.