Adapt 10/22 integral to H&R Single shot .22LR?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

msc_8791

Adapt 10/22 integral to H&R Single shot .22LR?

Post by msc_8791 »

I have an older John's Guns suppressed 10/22 Barrel. It was constructed by the 20" tube press fit onto a 16" standard 10/22barrel. I was wondering on the legality of separating the tube from the 10/22 barrel and using the tube and baffles to integrally suppress an H&R single shot .22 rifle. What mods can I legally do and who could possibly do it here in Texas (Near Houston)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Adapt 10/22 integral to H&R Single shot .22LR?

Post by Bendersquint »

msc_8791 wrote:I have an older John's Guns suppressed 10/22 Barrel. It was constructed by the 20" tube press fit onto a 16" standard 10/22barrel. I was wondering on the legality of separating the tube from the 10/22 barrel and using the tube and baffles to integrally suppress an H&R single shot .22 rifle. What mods can I legally do and who could possibly do it here in Texas (Near Houston)

YOU can't modify a silencer. An 07/02 can HOWEVER that much of a change would constitute a new silencer in the eyes of the ATF and require a new tax stamp.

How do I know? I have asked the ATF if I could perform the same mod for a customer......Johns Guns 10/22 going onto a TC Encore/Contender barrel.

It is designed as an integral 10/22 barrel, it will always be a integral 10/22 barrel unless you add a stamp to it for the new one, then it can't be used on a 10/22 barrel again.

That is the downside to integrals, its stuck to whatever platform it was built for.
msc_8791

Post by msc_8791 »

Bendersquint.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Not really feeling the stamp dance again. Looks like it stays on the 10/22 and Ill just cut down and thread the H&R

Scott
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jt.kline19 »

Bendersquint wrote:
msc_8791 wrote:I have an older John's Guns suppressed 10/22 Barrel. It was constructed by the 20" tube press fit onto a 16" standard 10/22barrel. I was wondering on the legality of separating the tube from the 10/22 barrel and using the tube and baffles to integrally suppress an H&R single shot .22 rifle. What mods can I legally do and who could possibly do it here in Texas (Near Houston)

YOU can't modify a silencer. An 07/02 can HOWEVER that much of a change would constitute a new silencer in the eyes of the ATF and require a new tax stamp.

How do I know? I have asked the ATF if I could perform the same mod for a customer......Johns Guns 10/22 going onto a TC Encore/Contender barrel.

It is designed as an integral 10/22 barrel, it will always be a integral 10/22 barrel unless you add a stamp to it for the new one, then it can't be used on a 10/22 barrel again.

That is the downside to integrals, its stuck to whatever platform it was built for.
Then how can hunter town arms change the barrels in their 10/22 integral to a different host barrel without a new stamp?
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Jt.kline19 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Then how can hunter town arms change the barrels in their 10/22 integral to a different host barrel without a new stamp?
One of two ways....

They have an approved variance from the FTB as the original manufacturer to legally do so.

Or

They didnt bother checking for legalities and is doing it anyways.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I'll bet you could modify a Stevens Favorite takedown to accept the 10-22 barrel. That way you wouldn't be modifying the silencer in any way, just customizing a single shot action to accept it with the end result being in most practical ways equal to a silent Handi rifle.

I don't know how much machining would be involved but I'd certainly be looking to put a vernier on Favorite.