Contender --Anyone use one---

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Contender --Anyone use one---

Post by Joker31D »

I'm trying to get some info on a T/C Contender and anyone that uses one with a can. I'm trying to find a good caliber, how quiet it actually is and if you hunt with it. I'm looking to hunt Hogs, Deer and an occasional gator. I want to use a Can because I have tinnitus pretty bad from shooting in vehicles and from a long Career in Bad neighborhoods (Afghanistan, Columbia etc) Now, I'm an olld man and retired (40) I also want to be able to shoot in a hunting blind without damaging the ears of people with me. We hunt in Plywood blinds and the sound pressure is pretty intense at times.
Thanks
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: Contender --Anyone use one---

Post by jlwilliams »

The TC is great for shooting suppressed. I have one and the only down side (aside from the basic limitations of a single shot) is that it's a huge and front heavy pistol. If you want to hunt with it you may want to either set it up as a carbine or even get a stamp and SBR it.

Caliber choice is whatever you want. 357 magnum and 300BLK are both great choices for suppression. Plenty of options all boiling down to personal choice.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Contender's are awesome! I've got two, a pistol frame and one that was just approved as an SBR. I've got a 10" 300 Blackout barrel from Match Grade Machine that's "mouse fart" quit with my 762SD! Stay way from TC factory barrels in 357 Magnum & Maximum as for some unkown reason TC chambered them with "revolver" chamber reamers as opposed the a "rifle" style chamber reamers when they did 44 magnum barrels. If for any reason you might want to buy a rifle caliber barrel, I'd buy an Encore over a Contender. The selection of rifle calibers that will work with a Contender frame is limited due to chamber pressure limits. When TC brought out the Encore they eliminated that problem. Also, sad to say, the Contender's years are numbered. They discontinued it in 2012 and brought it back (at least it's in the catalog) in 2014, but in fact they haven't made one since Smith & Wesson bought TC and moved the factory from NH to MA.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Thanks for the replies, I wonder if anything is going to change when Smith and T/C move? They were supposedly talking to Senior Fitters and Performance Center employees about moving to a facility in Texas or Florida.
357 Would be a little louder than I'd really want and dont think there would be an advantage over 300AAC except in 180gr+ or in 38Spl which is not going to work, the 44 mag would be nice but dont think Silencerco would Warranty my Osprey for 44mag, Id love a 44 mag capable Suppressorthough, but dont see a market for it. Does anyone know of an integral set up for the Encore? I'd think that the weight further towards the Centerline would help with weight.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Right now I've got 3 Contender barrels threaded for cans. A 7" 22LR, the 10" 300 Blackout, and a 17" 30-30 Win. I'll probably thread my 14" 223 Rem barrel and am giving serious thought to purchasing a threaded 9mm Luger barrel.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

I don't know about any true integrals but reflex type (where a length the barrel goes into the can) are pretty common. A friend of mine has a form 1 reflex set up in 300 Whisper (which he did before 300blk was an option) and it's a nice little set up. Quiet and accurate. IIRC he has a folding stock on it.

I've seen Bowers CAC9 screwed onto 357 and CAC45 on 44 barrels. Not bad, but really front heavy unless you go SBR. The pistol calibers are good if you have a pistol or SMG can and want another host for it (which is why I got a threaded 45 barrel for my TC). You get good suppression and big impact at reasonable distances. If your starting with the proverbial clean slate then 300blk is probably the way to go. If you want to run really heavy projectiles then you could go 45-70. I think Bowers has a can that he makes specifically for that sort of thing and there are a few other choices built for the 45-70. The big down side is finding 45-70 barrels with twist rates that are optimized for the sort of rounds you will want to load for suppressed hunting. Lots of guys running lots of weights of 45-70 through slow twist barrels so it can be done, but getting a big pill to be as stable as you want it to be at the moment it leaves the rifling and enters your expensive, registered accessory is the nail biter. That is where 300blk wins. The round and most of the barrels built for it are designed for shooting suppressed. For hogs, deer and occasional gators, 220 grains at .308 diameter is probably all you need.

jreinke is right about Encore over Contender. I love my Contender, but the Encore has a lot to offer particularly if your going carbine or SBR. The Contender is lighter, so arguably better for shooting as a pistol. I don't know who sells Encore barrels in 300blk, but someone does.

Can you hunt with an SBR where you are or will you be going carbine?
Fairbanksan

Post by Fairbanksan »

I currently have three threaded barrels for my contender, which is registered as a multi-caliber SBR (.22LR, .223 Rem., and .44 Mag.). They are the quietest platforms I have, simply because there is virtually no noise from the action. With the .22LR, you mostly hear the hammer striking the cartridge.
The down side- single shot fun only.
AWC MK9
Gemtech Outback II
Gemtech Trinity
Gemtech Oasis
AAC Ti-RANT .45
A&E RC
YHM Maxim Woodsman
YHM Stainless Phantom 5.56
Thompson Machine SG
SilencerCo 22Sparrow SS (x 3)
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

jlwilliams wrote: I don't know who sells Encore barrels in 300blk, but someone does.
Of all the companies that make TC barrels, I like Match Grade Machine the best.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'll probably go with 300AAC, it is the most readily available (I have 5000+ rounds on hand now) and I have a can that will work with it, although the 30-30 is interesting, but will get a lever for that, most likely a ranch hand then SBR it. But the Encore in 300AAC sounds like a winner.

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Well DANG! 5k rounds on hand does make that sort of the go-to caliber.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

44 mag integral suppressed
SpeedyR

Post by SpeedyR »

so I saw mention of staying away from the TC 357 barrels and some mention of the 44 mag barrel. I had considered threading a 44mag barrel and having some fun with that, but should I go with an aftermarket barrel or is the OE barrel OK to use in 44mag?

I've got a 22lr barrel and would be nice to thread that as well. maybe even a hornet barrel but no subs in hornet that I am aware of...
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

That 44 mag integral is a sweet looking rifle, real nice work...
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

STL/N.E.R.D.S. wrote:That 44 mag integral is a sweet looking rifle, real nice work...
Thank you
I'm building a 300 blackout integral suppressed that will look the same but all stainless this time.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I've got a 14" .223 gathering dust that I need to thread. Hopefully my 300 TM comes back soon.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Very nice looking, could prob let my daughter shoot it as well, she wont shoot unless its a sbr and has a can (Class 3 snob to be) really its because she's only 8 and has mainly shot that way, her first deer was a 300AAC SBR (No Can, didnt have one at the time) but she made a 100 yard shot that took only heart (No meat, no lungs, quartering towards shot) from an elevated platform, when she was 6. So she is going to be pretty good if she keeps going. I wish I could say I had something to do with it but she has natural talent and doesn't flinch or wince when she shoots and is a natural 2 eye shooter. I have her shooting a lot of 1000fps air rifle just about every day.

curtistactical
Silent But Deadly

Post by curtistactical »

I just finished an integral about 3 weeks ago on a 45/70 govt. it was definetly cool, too bad the customers stamp came in and it got to go home with him.
Joseph Jones
Curtis Tactical
07/02
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Lots of options. SBR is nice and compact.

I had a factory .357 barrel cut back to 6". I wasn't too sure about the accuracy potential of the barrel the first time I shot it. But after putting it on the SBR and getting it dialed in, I was able to shoot a 3.5" group at 100 yds. with factory .38 Spl.

I tried a factory .44 barrel a decade or so ago with a big subgun can, but the POI shift was incredible. Eventually sold that barrel.

I've been shooting 300 Whisper out of an SSK barrel for a number of years before 300BLK was introduced. It suppresses well, and shoots great.

.22LR is just a lot of fun to play with.

If you want to shoot supersonic / suppressed, the sky is the limit.

kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

I recently bought my first Gen 1 "Cougar" Contender
It was an impulse buy in the Used case at West Coast Armory in Issaquah WA for $198 with 10" 44 mag Barrel and 2x Simmons handgun scope. I thought it was a fucking STEAL. Seen what they go for on Guns America, & Broker?
So far I shot it about 70 rounds so far with CCI Blazer 44 specials in 200gr/Gold Dot and Federal Red box American Eagle 44 mag 240gr /1200fps loads and it shoots like you would expect a 10" inch 44 mag to. But, the styling of a single shot pistol is up to the individual. I think the gun looks like something a guy from Maine with a long beard would hunt with.
A small modern urban sniper rig is really what has been getting me excited.

I have been OBSESSED with reading about everyone online's builds, SBR's and use as suppressor host.

Anyone else here think this sounds like the ultimate?
A big 44 cal 240 or 270gr subsonic, as loud as a paintball gun, accurate as a Carbine, and small enough to backpack. Perfect.

I was really excited about buying a Ruger or CZ 7.62x39mm bolt gun, or a 300blk Handi rifle, AAC/ Rem model 7...ect.. you know, a short light carbine.
But, I've fired a few 300 Blackout rifles, and its not much more exciting or any more energy than a 9mm with a can. But the Supersonic 300 loads are good all arounder's. 180 and 220gr 30/7.62 round nose loads don't expand much, even Ballistic tips. Made me think a 45acp carbine or 45 Colt/454Casull or 0.429/ 44 semi jacketed soft/HP or Gold Dots would open up better at subsonic speeds than the 300 Blackout I was craving.

So far, I bought a dot sight, factory black carbine forearm, Harbor Freight locking briefcase, so far. I've been shopping on GB, GA, and ebay for 16 inch and 23 inch carbine barrels for it to go with the Choate Folding stock. Perm Weld and pic on a big Can on my 10 inch 44 Barrel to Avoid SBR tax and 14 month wait? But, I might go Sig SB15 brace and keep it with the 10 inch 44 tube and run a pistol can and only run subs

Yesturday, I bought Choate Contender AR 6 position stock ( http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/09-01-24 ) and Sig Brace for it and pistol buffer tube (for a 9 inch length of pull), and I am going to try a A1/A2 fixed stock sized buffer tube for a (14 inch Length of pull) to save $200 on SBR tax, but unsure on the legality on a Sig Brace on a non-AR or AK pistol.
I read and downloaded the ATF letter to the Colorado Police dept. in regards to using as a stock on a pistol. The ATF says you can put it on a pistol and the weapon is still classified as a pistol, not a SBR. I will have to touch base with ATF and a Trust/NFA Lawyer for a $100 phone call soon.

I need help from you guys on this:

Should I just buy a Form 4 Can?
Shell out $1000 for AAC Ti-Rant 45 that will also work with my threaded 1911A1 but gamble the warranty to run 44 special Sub's thru it?
http://www.advanced-armament.com/Ti-RANT-45_p_458.html

Should I buy a SSK, SSR, or YHM XL, or a Bowers Big Can dedicated Just only for my TC Contender Carbine?
http://www.subguns.org/products/cans/SMG/
https://yhm.net/45-wraith-xl-q-d-sound- ... -1384.html

Should I fire off a Form 1 and send $200 and wait a year to weld up a homebrew Freeze Plug & Maglite 4 D cell or 6 D cell dedicated can for a whopping $230 (!) investment?
http://www.silencerresearch.com/covert_ ... rticle.htm

I like how this project turned out! Looks like a cool toy!!

Props to RedtazDog - sick Bro :mrgreen:
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

The TC's suppress so good I have them in many calibers
Integral suppressed 44 mag
integral suppressed 22 Lr
357 mag
6.5mm
375 H&H
22-250
300 whisper/blackout
510 Whisper
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

I've fire RANB's 510 Whisper! Huge impact! Not much more kick than a 44 mag carbine, or SKS - but WAY more knockdown!

Last edited by kassenz on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

I looks like the many great replies have been promising. I have no Contender experience, but plenty of Encore time. In my opinion, whether in pistol or rifle format, we cannot beat the handiness of a break-action. One shot is all it takes, right? As well as a few MGM barrels notably a 15in .22lr fast twist for 60gr SSS, a 15in fast twist .223 for heavies, a 20in 6.5x55 swede, this MGM 300-221 with a TBAC 30P-1 is quuuiet.

Although not TC, but still single shot, here is my latest turn-on, a Remington XP-100 300Blk by Shilen with TBAC 30PSS. As previously said, like a mouse fart.

A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Why... Why do you people FORCE me to spend my hard earned $?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

strobro32 wrote:Why... Why do you people FORCE me to spend my hard earned $?
Spending is harsh. Doesn 't that imply getting nothing in return. Paying for smiles and giggles is therapy.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

rancilio wrote:
strobro32 wrote:Why... Why do you people FORCE me to spend my hard earned $?
Spending is harsh. Doesn 't that imply getting nothing in return. Paying for smiles and giggles is therapy.
I must feel the need for a lot of therapy