Stuck on a fence between AAC & Silencerco

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

7.62 cans

Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 pm

AAC SDN-6
8%
Silencerco Saker
93%

Total votes: 40

LuckyVictim

Stuck on a fence between AAC & Silencerco

Post by LuckyVictim »

About to pull the trigger on my next 7.62 can, but find myself going back and forth between the AAC SDN-6 and the newer Silencerco Saker. If you have perspective on either of these I'd appreciate your comments.
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Re: Stuck on a fence between AAC & Silencerco

Post by QuIet Noob »

I have the sdn-6 and I am very happy with it. If I was in the market now I would go Saker. They have a better mount system and you can get the 51t if you have an AAC mount. I have three other SWR/Silencerco cans and I am more than happy with quality and customer service.
balloonman75

Post by balloonman75 »

My first post, but been lurking for a while. I picked up the Saker 556 last year, and now have the Saker 762 purchased awaiting eforms to fix the form4 submittal again. Saker 556 has a great mount and finish. I am impressed with it, awesome design and lockup for the length of time I have had it.. Check out the vid that silencershop did on the saker 762 and you will see the versatility. Had I it to do over again, would have skipped the 556 can and gone with the saker 762 to use on both 22/30 cal. I also love my thunder beast 30p1 for long range and hunting, but the saker should be quite a bit tougher... and now the harvester is on deck for hunting too. The AAC 762sdn6 that I have experience with also worked nicely, but the versatility and better mount design of the Saker put it well ahead of the aac for me. I have also heard great reviews about silencerco's customer service and professionalism.
rckshrk

Post by rckshrk »

QuIet Noob wrote:I have the sdn-6 and I am very happy with it. If I was in the market now I would go Saker. They have a better mount system and you can get the 51t if you have an AAC mount. I have three other SWR/Silencerco cans and I am more than happy with quality and customer service.
No need to retype what QuietNoob typed. This sums it up nicely. AAC will need to step up their game in response.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

Silencerco customer service is top notch
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

QuIet Noob wrote:I have the sdn-6 and I am very happy with it. If I was in the market now I would go Saker. They have a better mount system and you can get the 51t if you have an AAC mount. I have three other SWR/Silencerco cans and I am more than happy with quality and customer service.
+1 and throw the Specwar in too.

AAC never tried to fix the loose mount issues for people and lost a lot of customers, many to SWR and SCo. They have no easy cleaning cans on the market and are owned by a group that can care less. I wouldn't buy any AAC cans today unless they made things right and made major changes. The still have the o'l sales pitches to keep them afloat though. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I didn't vote since you didn't have a "neither"
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I would go Specwar myself, but between the two you mentioned the Saker is way ahead of the SDN6.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

When I wanted to add second 5.56 and 7.62 cans I went with Silencerco as the 4 cans I have from them are superb and their support record is simply amazing.

At the time the 7,62 Saker was not available so I ordered a 5.56 Saker and a 7.62 Specwar. Today I would have ordered the 7.62 Saker ... but only because I would already have the 5.56 Saker.

Not sure you can make a bad choice with Silencerco.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

It's obvious Silco has overtaken AAC the past 2-3 years (thanks to Kevin leaving and Remington/Freedom Group taking over).

The only real cards AAC has left over the competition are the Titan and Cyclops. But they do have official ammo named after them, and that will always count for something.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I'd add the old Ranger series thread-on cans. They are still the only all steel/inconel cans that are under 140dB and under 20oz total weight.

I'd go with the Saker. It has a better mount, is the same weight, might have the option to use a thread-on attachment which will make it even lighter, and stellite baffles which are more erosion resistant than inconel.

Stat wise, the Saker is the clearly superior choice.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Why not look at the SR7?

It is shipping to dealers now.
Mike Mers
L.E. and Commercial Sales
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 x 101 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
Theohazard
Silent Operator

Post by Theohazard »

1_ar_newbie wrote:Why not look at the SR7?

It seems to me that -- at least on paper -- the SR7 and the Saker are very similar except the Saker wins out due to the versatility of the MAAD mount and the extra durability of the stellite baffles. Is there something I'm missing? Does the SR7 stand out in other ways?
0331: "Accuracy by volume."
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Theohazard wrote:

It seems to me that -- at least on paper -- the SR7 and the Saker are very similar except the Saker wins out due to the versatility of the MAAD mount and the extra durability of the stellite baffles. Is there something I'm missing? Does the SR7 stand out in other ways?
SR7 is more durable and will not come apart while you shoot it :wink:

Also no spanner wrench required

O, and SR7 is quieter
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Theohazard wrote:
1_ar_newbie wrote: SR7 is more durable and will not come apart while you shoot it :wink:

O, and SR7 is quieter
Pretty bold claims on AAC's behalf... Someone seems to think it's 2008 still?

When can we look forward to the AAC video of the SR7 being quieter than the latest batch of competitor cans (SF Socom, Saker, new KAC)? And can we pretty please get a video of a Saker coming apart while firing?

... And also when on the Ranger3? :?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

1_ar_newbie wrote: SR7 is more durable and will not come apart while you shoot it :wink:
Can you please elaborate on the Saker coming apart while you are shooting it?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Can't vote anymore but I would say Saker.
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Theohazard wrote:

O, and SR7 is quieter
Can you link to your testing data that showed the SR7 was more durable. I'm curious.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

1_ar_newbie wrote:
Theohazard wrote:

O, and SR7 is quieter
Like when you said the SDN was quieter than the Sd? :mrgreen: :arrow: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdiKV6UjNk

Silencerco fixed your mounts and ringing FH . Like I said the o'l sales pitch is there but your company is sooooo behind and in denial. I also feel dread having to send one of my AAC's in for repair but can always " trust" Sco/SWR's service.

Actions speak "louder" than words. :idea:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The SR7 and Saker 762 are similar in length, weight, cost. Still waiting on actual dB numbers.

But feature-wise the Saker is the clear winner. Stellite baffles, more mounting options, handles up to 300 RUM, and can even swap endcaps for better 556 performance.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

There is obviously a barrel length where the can will see no difference between 300 RUM with an XX length barrel and 308 with a shorter YY length barrel. So AAC could call the SR7 a 300 RUM rated can, but chooses not to just to keep someone from using too short a barrel.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

silencertalk wrote:There is obviously a barrel length where the can will see no difference between 300 RUM with an XX length barrel and 308 with a shorter YY length barrel. So AAC could call the SR7 a 300 RUM rated can, but chooses not to just to keep someone from using too short a barrel.
So you are implying that the Saker762 is not 300rum rated on a "normal" RUM barrel length like 24-26"? That SiCo is perhaps being deceptive about the "rating" and AAC is above such foolery?

I don't know what their barrel length rating is. But it seems that it must be much longer than anything one would want to run if the comment that "AAC would be too" were to apply. If the Saker is warranty-applied to a shorter barrel length than the SR7, doesn't that imply either SiCo is risking more in warranty claims, or the Saker is the stronger design?

But if your point is that XYZ rated means nothing without qualifiers, and you should always check those, then that makes complete sense. Although there is still an implication it seems.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

When you rate a can for a magnum and put in a barrel-length qualifier, people sometimes ignore it and shoot it on shorter barrels anyway, so AAC has decided that it is best to just rate the can for the primary caliber that it is optimized for.
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

Saker 7.62 is minimum of 20" barrel for the magnum cartridges.
1_ar_newbie
Industry Professional

Post by 1_ar_newbie »

Bendersquint wrote:
Can you please elaborate on the Saker coming apart while you are shooting it?
Ask SilencerCo

They launched 2 762 Sakers downrange at the AcuSport show in front of several dealers.
Mike Mers
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]

Gun Gallery 4 Life!