5 weeks from approved and no stamp

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

speed6
Senior Silent Operator

5 weeks from approved and no stamp

Post by speed6 »

I called the ATF 2 or 3 weeks ago and was told my suppressor form 4 was approved on 3/17/14. It has been over 5 weeks at this point and still no stamp. My dealer said it takes ~3 weeks to get paperwork back from the ATF after it is approved because of the large volume of transfers he does (they don't get individual stamps back, they get an envelope full). This is the first time I have called the ATF to get a status update so not certain what the "normal" wait time on approved stamps is. Should I be getting worried about lost paperwork?
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Re: 5 weeks from approved and no stamp

Post by RJT »

I was told it could take a couple of months from approved, to stamp in hand by my dealer. Something about volume of stamps, and the time it takes them to actually drop them in the mail, yada yada yada.................
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

I just picked up my Oct 45, 10 business days from approved at The Silencer Shop, which we all know does large volume.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

My latest stamp (early March) was approved 03/06/14, stamp at Silencer Shop (and scanned/emailed to me) 03/11/14. And I'm talking paper form, not e-form.

5 weeks sounds insanely insane :shock:
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

It's killing me! I may send out another email to the dealer. I know they are busy but damn, this seems like it is taking way too long.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

speed6 wrote:It's killing me! I may send out another email to the dealer. I know they are busy but damn, this seems like it is taking way too long.
After 30 days you can request a duplicate copy be mailed out.

Most people receive their forms back within 2 weeks after approval. There are a few that take longer. But 5 weeks? I'd be calling for a duplicate copy to be sent out.

I work at a ClassIII and 5 weeks is out of the ordinary for sure. Your dealer is feeding you BS. They're probably to lazy to investigate it further. In their head, they've already got your money and the stamp will show up when it shows up.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

I'd bet dollars to donuts that your dealer is sitting on it best case, or has lost it worse case.

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I went and picked it up yesterday--and my dealer (unexpectedly) had another can I was waiting for there too. He may have been waiting for both to come in, I am not sure. It was almost exactly 6 weeks from approved before I got the stamps. The manager said it had come in last week with about 70 other stamps in a single envelope. I'm just glad to have them at last. ~13 months from purchase to in my hands :-/ .
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

I have a can that was approved on 3/17. No stamp so far...
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

k9twelve wrote:I have a can that was approved on 3/17. No stamp so far...
Call and request a duplicate.... sent straight to you.

I know my last can took 3.5 weeks to be received by dealer. If they are a large volume dealer they may just be busy as hell.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

Pman5KMO wrote:

I know my last can took 3.5 weeks to be received by dealer. If they are a large volume dealer they may just be busy as hell.
I'm pretty sure they sent the request. NFA branch told me the dealer had to request the certified copy. The dealer said it should be middle of this week. I hope it happens soon...
sundazes

Post by sundazes »

I got a call on 5/2, the stamp was approved 4/28.
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

Pman5KMO wrote:

Dealer hasn't been able to get it. I called the ATF Friday and actually got a really helpful person. She took my info, emailed me that she pulled the stamp and mailed it, and called me to make sure I received the email. She also requested I let her know when I get the stamp. I know they're crazy busy and I've never got anyone to really want to help. She went above and beyond.
k9twelve

Post by k9twelve »

speed6 wrote:I called the ATF 2 or 3 weeks ago and was told my suppressor form 4 was approved on 3/17/14. It has been over 5 weeks at this point and still no stamp. My dealer said it takes ~3 weeks to get paperwork back from the ATF after it is approved because of the large volume of transfers he does (they don't get individual stamps back, they get an envelope full). This is the first time I have called the ATF to get a status update so not certain what the "normal" wait time on approved stamps is. Should I be getting worried about lost paperwork?
Did you get it yet?
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

Yes, got it on Apr 30. See my above post. STILL haven't had a chance to shoot them, I should be able to pretty extensively next week.