308 bullet tumble?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

blues addict

308 bullet tumble?

Post by blues addict »

At what distance can you normally see bullet tumble if you are going to have a problem. Starting to test rounds in Sig 716 and Remington 700 AAC. 1 in 10 twist on both. Some sub and regular factory ammo.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Re: 308 bullet tumble?

Post by M40A1308M »

Depends on some factors. Bullet type, load , and distance. All bullets tumble at a certain range and that depends on factors. So if you are loading a MK168 at 1050 I have found them to being prone to tumble at 200YD. But a Lapua 200gr Subsonic only bullet will not in the same gun at the same velocity. A round nose soft point in fact in my personal experience will tumble less than a match bullet. But if you are hitting baffles you would need a very short distance to see the issue. But as far as load development for sub sonic 308 100yd to 200yds should be a good range to test from. Some issues will be seen at 50yd or less perhaps.

I use TrailBoss or VIT powders when loading 308 subsonic and use a 200gr Lapua bullet or a RN soft point.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

blues addict wrote:At what distance can you normally see bullet tumble if you are going to have a problem. Starting to test rounds in Sig 716 and Remington 700 AAC. 1 in 10 twist on both. Some sub and regular factory ammo.
Having shot .303 Enfield, with its highly stable boat-tail bullet* geometry,
it did not tumble at 800 yard target.

Historical information: ammunition was with corrosive ammo and the Berdan Primer cartridge**.

* << http://www.riflebarrels.com/images/figure1.gif >>

** << http://www.hallowellco.com/primer---berdan.jpg >>
& << http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/gif/berdanflash.gif >>
blues addict

Post by blues addict »

I should have elaborated. Trying to avoid baffle strike on a SDN-6 so trying to make it out the can and at least 100 to 200 yards if lucky.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Set up a target at 10' or less, and look for perfect circles punched in the paper. I try to get as close as possible, without blowing the target apart with the muzzle blast. If they're not keyholing, you're good to go.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Historian you are talking apples to subsonic flight characteristics of bullets. Yes your Infield would have perfect accuracy at 800 with a match grade bullet. But go load one at 1050 fps and go shoot that at 800yd.

One of the things the OP needs to be aware of is sticking a bullet in the barrel. But if your muzzle and can are in perfect line it should not come in contact with the baffles even if it became unstable at 100yd. The paper idea is a good one . I get large poster board at a office store and it will show very clearly if you are tumbling. Start at 10yd and work back to 100yd. That should give you a good idea.
blues addict

Post by blues addict »

Thanks all. will give it a try Saturday if rain holds off.