rockset w/ thread on silencer?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

BearTHIS
Silent Operator

rockset w/ thread on silencer?

Post by BearTHIS »

Anyone use rockset for threaded cans? Is it OK to use? Seems like a good way to keep things locked up but still easy enough to torque off intentionally when needed.
SUB-MG
Senior Silent Operator

Re: rockset w/ thread on silencer?

Post by SUB-MG »

I wouldn't use Rockset on a thread mounted suppressor. It would be a pain in the @ss to remove it each time and your threads will fill in with hardened Rockset making it a pain to thread on the next time. A lower strength thread lock would be a better option but it may not works so well at the temperatures you see on some rifle suppressors. I just use teflon tape on my threads to provide some additional resistance to the threads to slow down the backing off of the suppressor. Make sure to bring a "Hot" glove with you and check the suppresor often to make sure it doesn't back off.
BearTHIS wrote:Anyone use rockset for threaded cans? Is it OK to use? Seems like a good way to keep things locked up but still easy enough to torque off intentionally when needed.
B&R Guns
FFL/SOT
Lees Summit, MO
http://WWW.BRGUNS.COM
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Re: rockset w/ thread on silencer?

Post by aries14482 »

I use it constantly for the Ranger 2 on my AR. I used to shoot 3-gun type competition, rain or shine, little training/testing sessions with friends with rapid fire, etc. It works great and hasn't come loose since the first time I applied it (I didn't degrease the first time and also had the rifle stored muzzle-up and most of the Rocksett ran onto the shoulder and barrel).

Be sure to clean and degrease the threads on can and barrel before applying. I use my wife's 100% acetone nail polish remover. I also like to let my rifle set horizontally overnight while it sets for peace of mind, though that may be totally unnecessary.

Be sure not to over torque after the Rocksett is applied. I cranked my Ranger 2 down with a strap wrench by hand once and I had to soak the can in water (Rocksett is supposed to break down in water), clamp the barrel in a vice, and wrap the can with a damp rag under the strap wrench to get enough friction and leverage to get it off. It will depend on the threads of your can, but try not to tighten more than necessary. My ranger 2 really only needs to be as tight as I can get it by hand.

Enjoy!