End cap stuck in TacSol AR-22 SB-X upper?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Meridian

End cap stuck in TacSol AR-22 SB-X upper?

Post by Meridian »

I purchased a AR-22 SBX upper to use with a Spectre II. I was reading some other posts about end caps getting stuck on the muzzle inside the shroud where it would be all but inaccessible to a tool for removal. Is this a common problem with the SBX barrels? I don't want to start unscrewing the suppressor from the upper and find that the end cap is stuck on the muzzle while the rest of the suppressor is coming unscrewed from the end cap. Is there a preferred way to prevent the end caps from coming loose on the suppressor before it comes loose from the muzzle - e.g., blue Locktite, etc.? Would you just re-apply it every time you had to disassemble it for cleaning?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: End cap stuck in TacSol AR-22 SB-X upper?

Post by Emilio »

Yeah just clean any oil on the cap and give it a small drop. Keep the barrel thread clean, especially if shooting unsuppressed. ( where the problem happens the most)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
medphys3

Post by medphys3 »

I built an SBX style barrel/shroud and deliberately designed it with a slot on the bottom so I could get the end cap off if it ever came apart. If I had an SBX barrel, I would drill a hole in the bottom of it to gain access to the endcap before I'd use locktite on the suppressor, but that's just me.
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I picked up some anti-sieze from Autozone and use it on the threaded ends of the barrel. There are different types of anit-sieze, so make sure you're using one compatible with aluminum (the threads on the TacSol) and steel.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

ncorry wrote:I picked up some anti-sieze from Autozone and use it on the threaded ends of the barrel. There are different types of anit-sieze, so make sure you're using one compatible with aluminum (the threads on the TacSol) and steel.
+2!!

Proof in the Pudding: threads in Aluminum head of 1970 280SL still pristine
even after many plug replacements. Correct torque critical for each
applications of course.

Also consider coating every bolt taken off and then put back onto car.
Saves whacked knuckles and streams of self vituperation. :)
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have a couple Tacsol SBX barrels and a few of my own style SBX barrels and never lost the end cap on the barrel.
If you put the end caps on the can with a tool instead of hand tight you shouldn't have that problem.
SWO

Post by SWO »

Meridian wrote:I purchased a AR-22 SBX upper to use with a Spectre II. I was reading some other posts about end caps getting stuck on the muzzle inside the shroud where it would be all but inaccessible to a tool for removal. Is this a common problem with the SBX barrels? I don't want to start unscrewing the suppressor from the upper and find that the end cap is stuck on the muzzle while the rest of the suppressor is coming unscrewed from the end cap. Is there a preferred way to prevent the end caps from coming loose on the suppressor before it comes loose from the muzzle - e.g., blue Locktite, etc.? Would you just re-apply it every time you had to disassemble it for cleaning?
Speaking only to the Spectre, if you assemble it per the instructions it would be very unlikely for that to occur. The
tail cap is threaded first, then the end cap is threaded last, pre-loading the tail cap assembly. On the other hand, if you did it the opposite, I could see a situation like you describe occurring.