AAC closing down???

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

marv800

AAC closing down???

Post by marv800 »

Not sure what is happening there, but apparently all employes of AAC were laid off today
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC closing down???

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

What is bad is that ROC/FG/Remington/Big Green, whatever you want to call it, has such a reputation that these 'rumors' aren't unlikely.

Besides, they have to move SOMEONE into that half a million square foot facility. I'd think moving AAC would be an easy 'trial run' for larger moves, with the smaller footprint in personnel and machinery.

It will be interesting to see what happens...

Byrdman
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Don't hold your breath on there being corrections published, Robert.
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

As I have heard it, it wasn't a layoff...they're shutting down operations in Lawrenceville and relocating to Huntsville; anyone can apply for a position in Huntsville. If you don't want to relocate, you will get a severance bonus if you stay on till the GA operation closes up shop.

Depends on your perspective, I guess. If you like AAC and want to stay on with the company, look at relocating to Huntsville. If you'd rather stay in the Atlanta area, look for work. Pretty straightforward.

They've gotta fill up the Huntsville buildings...between Tapco, DPMS, AAC, Para, et al., they're going to do it. Consolidation leads to lower costs, which means its better for the bottom line. Lets hope that quality & customer service isn't sacrificed, though.

Byrdman
Toxarch
Silent Operator

Post by Toxarch »

AAC will still be a brand, it will just be made in the Remington mega-facility they built. If it's true, it's kinda sad that they offered severance packages rather than relocation incentives.

The blog reports Remington is consolidating AAC, TAPCO, Para USA, DPMS and LAR Grizzly so far.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Add Bushmaster and the R1-1911 from Ilion, Montana Rifles, and the Elizabethtown production lines, too.

Lots of info out there. Looks like lots of opportunities if you're willing to relocate.

Byrdman
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

AAC is not closing as a brand, but manufacturing is moving to a much larger facility.

This is Remington's statement:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2014/05/15/g ... g-alabama/

“Earlier today we announced the consolidation of multiple company plants into our Huntsville, Alabama, facility,” said Remington Spokesman Teddy Novin. “This was a strategic business decision to concentrate our resources into fewer locations and improve manufacturing efficiency and quality. We are working hard to retain as many people from the affected facilities as possible.”
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Post by hunter2 »

Dedicated employees can reapply..... :? "if anybody wants to move, your job is waiting" - that would sound better! I might be the only one but I get a funny feeling when I think of all the companies that is under this one heading. What if?
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Commentary on the subject in Forbes magazine:

America's Oldest Gun Maker Thumbs Its Nose At A Two-Faced Senator

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... d-senator/
In March of 2011 Senator Schumer put a press release on his website boasting: “Today, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer joined Remington officials and plant employees to announce that Bushmaster Firearms is relocating a manufacturing facility from Windham, Maine to Ilion, NY, bringing over forty new jobs to Central New York in the process. Schumer has been a long-time supporter of manufacturing at the Remington plant, urging top Army officials to open up competition for the Army’s small arms contracts to other U.S. manufacturers and domestic producers across the country like the Ilion, New York-based Remington. Today, Schumer applauded Remington’s decision to add new jobs to the productive and capable work force already making the factory an economic powerhouse in the Mohawk Valley.”
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Armorer-at-Law wrote:Commentary on the subject in Forbes magazine:

America's Oldest Gun Maker Thumbs Its Nose At A Two-Faced Senator

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminite ... d-senator/
In March of 2011 Senator Schumer put a press release on his website boasting: “Today, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer joined Remington officials and plant employees to announce that Bushmaster Firearms is relocating a manufacturing facility from Windham, Maine to Ilion, NY, bringing over forty new jobs to Central New York in the process. Schumer has been a long-time supporter of manufacturing at the Remington plant, urging top Army officials to open up competition for the Army’s small arms contracts to other U.S. manufacturers and domestic producers across the country like the Ilion, New York-based Remington. Today, Schumer applauded Remington’s decision to add new jobs to the productive and capable work force already making the factory an economic powerhouse in the Mohawk Valley.”
That's a much better angle for ROC PR to be taking… and maybe pump up the increase in capacity and new R&D facilities, etc.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Post by Grounded »

I feel for all the AAC employees who can't make that move. Its tough to have to deal with situations like that.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

It keeps getting worse for AAC.

Innovation seems to come from the smaller in touch companies which are also nicer to work for.

Moving to a giant assembly plant sounds yummy. :cry:

The ONE Remington I own ( AAC 700) has a recalled trigger that can also break in half once fixed and that was a New design! :lol: should have had a bigger bolt knob and a decent stock too. Don't like anything Bushmaster, Tapco ,or Para and the little Grizz needs to compete with a flooded market.

I don't think I would be an investor. :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
bani
Silent But Deadly

Post by bani »

good companies offer relocation assistance packages when they move. are AAC employees being offered one?
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

hunter2 wrote:Dedicated employees can reapply..... :?
douchy move.

Seems like a great way to get rid of an older employee's vacation and pay level
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Also a douchy way to take higher paying senior employees and start them over again with lower pay.
All after they paid their own way to TRY to stay with the company.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

An awful lot of speculation running rampant.

We don't know what the HR guys said, we don't know what packages are being offered, and we don't know when anything will start kicking in.

Of course, lets not a lack of facts stand in the way of blind gibberish.

From the perspective of the guy that just got hired on to tape boxes or sweep floors, yeah, it will suck to have to find work again. From the perspective of the guys paying the bills, the costs are going to go down across the board, due to the centralization of engineering, shipping/receiving, facilities management, recordkeeping, etc.

Ultimately, this stands to help keep a key player in the game longer & more efficiently, as well as potentially freeing up resources for R&D and product development.

JMHO, of course...
Byrdman
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

MCKNBRD wrote:From the perspective of the guys paying the bills, the costs are going to go down across the board, due to the centralization of engineering, shipping/receiving, facilities management, recordkeeping, etc.

I don't think that's ever been the issue . . . of course it makes fantastic business sense. Overhead will drop dramatically by moving in several companies under one roof. Everything from the utility bill to shipping will be cheaper for them to operate.

The question still remains (and I think mostly answered by this point) is how much control will Remington exert over its subsidiaries?

I know the AAC deal was sold to Kevin as a hands-off approach. Basically as long as AAC made money it remained autonomous . . . to which the relationship between Kevin and Remington/FGI soured almost immediately. All of that drama was in the court hearing pdf that was released from his suit.
MCKNBRD wrote:Ultimately, this stands to help keep a key player in the game longer & more efficiently, as well as potentially freeing up resources for R&D and product development.
Uh huh.
MCKNBRD wrote:We don't know what the HR guys said, we don't know what packages are being offered, and we don't know when anything will start kicking in.

Of course, lets not a lack of facts stand in the way of blind gibberish.
I can tell you as an employee of FGI from 2010-2013 that the HR department was the source of almost all incompetency.

I would bet $$$ that the worst possible "deal" was made for the employees of AAC if anyone was still involved in the process from when I worked at FGI. They are not there for the employees and exist to only figure out ways to cut costs at the expense of the workforce.

The fact that AAC NEVER had a legitimate HR rep tells you all you need to know.

They added it to Lynsey's job description after the acquisition, then hired a girl after the kevin/lynsey firing that lasted 2-3 weeks until they fired her then hired another woman in who quit the same week she was hired because the compensation package was awful.

HR was/is the biggest joke in that company.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I always get AAC HR notices from Kathy - who is beyond awesome, has been there for many years, and I would assume everyone else feels the same way as I never heard otherwise.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

silencertalk wrote:I always get AAC HR notices from Kathy - who is beyond awesome, has been there for many years, and I would assume everyone else feels the same way as I never heard otherwise.
Robert, I didn't mean to say AAC's "HR" to which Kathy I don't believe was listed as HR on the company flow chart . . . more along the lines of O.J. and M.H. in the corporate Remington HR office (I have no idea if they still work there hence the initials).
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

The only good thing I see out of Remington buying AAC was the campaign to push legality in states that never would have kept them legal any other way. Big green has more lobbying power than anyone out there, even Colt and Smith could never touch them in that aspect. If they continue to treat their employees like cattle or property I'm afraid they will end up piecing out the company and moving on, hopefully leaving their lobbyist work in tact. I know the AL deal was done for pure and simple monetary reasons, GA wouldn't offer tax breaks and concessions at all for Remington, My state of FL was offering tax breaks but not deep enough, it was down to the wire between FL (Orange and Hillsborough Counties)and AL. In the end I'm pretty sure we will end up with another company coming here after we lost Magpul, Remington and one other in bidding. I know some of the legislators that were involved in the whole thing and volunteered in one of their offices. I met a lot of the corporate people involved and was asked "Technical" questions on it because I knew firearms and have a minor in production engineering. The congressman I worked for was really trying to get them into our district and do so without hurting our environment.
BTW I didn't know they bought Para, that would explain why they pulled out on all of our commemorative pistols for our unit on my last tour.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

silencertalk wrote:I always get AAC HR notices from Kathy - who is beyond awesome, has been there for many years, and I would assume everyone else feels the same way as I never heard otherwise.
Robert, do you no longer work/do R&D for AAC? I noticed you took your signature down...
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I took it down because I don't want people to think my posts are as a representative of the company. I work for Remington and will continue to.
nitram
Silent But Deadly

Post by nitram »

"Shoot twice and go home"
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

nitram wrote:rumor? really?
Um... The part about AAC closing as a brand and not coming out with new products has been debunked in the last few days.

AAC showed several new silencers and a new rifle at a media event on Thursday and Friday. The fourth AAC location since its inception in GA is moving to its fifth location in AL.