Suppressed Beretta 21A

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Suppressed Beretta 21A

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Hello all. I have a Beretta 21A threaded. I have put both a Specter 2 and a Sparrow on it. Without a suppressor it shoots fairly well (for a micro-gun!) but wen suppressed, the group drops about 4" at 20'. That seems like an awful lot. None of my other 22 hosts have any change to speak of. I am using CCI Standard velocity in all. Is this common in a little gun or might something else be causing a problem? I realize it is what it is, but wondered what others think. Thanks again.
MrM2hb

Re: Suppressed Beretta 21A

Post by MrM2hb »

I have one with a sparrow on it and never thought about grouping it. Will have to try it.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

I had a beretta 21 with a crimson trace laser. I was getting a fairly significant poi shift before I sold it. Couple of inches at 10 yds. Windage and elevation both. Nature of the beast would be my guess. I could dig out old targets. Pm if you are interested.
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Just curious, how does a suppressor cause a drop in POI? Due to blowback? Something is causing a decrease in velocity, and apparently the shorter the barrel the more significant the drop??
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Just curious, how does a suppressor cause a drop in POI? Due to blowback? Something is causing a decrease in velocity, and apparently the shorter the barrel the more significant the drop??
Have you chron'd it?
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

Any updates?
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Just curious, how does a suppressor cause a drop in POI? Due to blowback? Something is causing a decrease in velocity, and apparently the shorter the barrel the more significant the drop??
Not necessarily the velocity. It can drastically change the barrel harmonics. On some guns it acts like a big muzzle brake as well. Or the weight changes the way the gun recoils.

I had a Contender .44 barrel threaded for a MAC can at one time. Unsuppressed and shooting from sandbags, the gun would recoil upward quite a bit. Add a 12" can to the end of the barrel, and it would recoil straight back - no muzzle flip at all. Think that made a difference on downrange POI? It only moved it down several feet at 100 yards.

As for the 21A, I really haven't shot mine much without the can attached. And suppressed, the can obscures the sights. I shoot with both eyes open and sight "through" the can. I find it fairly difficult to do with the 21A and its tiny sights. So it's really a short-range proposition. I keep thinking I need to get a Crimson Trace laser grip. I just haven't gotten there yet.
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

I have not chrono'd it; don't have the equipment. It does have Crimson Trace grips (Really helpful!!) that were aligned without a suppressor. With laser, nice group. Add can, still decent group but about 4" lower at about 20'.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'm really wanting to do this myself ...ordered a tiny B22 can from HTA, thing is 3.75 x 1in tried it on a p22 and was pretty quiet, cant wait to get it out of jail, shot it at the dealer into a snail trap.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

wmdaniel70 wrote:I have not chrono'd it; don't have the equipment. It does have Crimson Trace grips (Really helpful!!) that were aligned without a suppressor. With laser, nice group. Add can, still decent group but about 4" lower at about 20'.
Best guess, the suppressors weight on the end of the barrel is tiltling it down causing your low POI
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
ASP2001
Silent But Deadly

Post by ASP2001 »

I have a 21A that was threaded by Accurate Ordnance that I run with a sparrow. With crimson trace laser, it will shoot dimes groups at 7 yards. While I've nailed opossum at 20 yards with it, I consider it a 7-10 yard setup. Anything outside of that, a Tacsol PAC-lite is a better setup.

Speaking to the POI shift, again, at 7-10 yards I haven't noticed any POI shift with or without the sparrow. I shot a few groups tonight with Gemtech's 42 gr subsonic was was pleased with the ammo.