Huntertown Chameleon 308 anyone have one?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Huntertown Chameleon 308 anyone have one?

Post by Joker31D »

I ordered one a while ago and was told by the dealer that they are waiting on a transfer. Want to know any info on the Chameleon 308 and the Kestrel 5.56, ordered both for different reasons. I ordered the Chameleon to put on my hunting rifle because I figured it would be hard to beat up the tube and if I did I wouldn't be out $1500+ I hunt with a 6.5 Grendel that is pretty nice but seems to evolve in the off season. I also ordered the Kestrel 5.56 and figured I'd give it a shot (NoPun) if it doesnt work out I'll throw it on my 22 or a 223 bolt for my Daughter to shoot (She's 8) and practices a lot. I'm going to have to find a coating for the Chameleon also because they dont even paint or coat it. So I need suggestions there too. I ordered these because I wanted to test things out before spending big money on an OPS inc or a Silencerco. I bought them on a whim when the Army decided I was "Severly Injured" enough to retire me and I am sometimes in a chair, mostly I walk with a cane and have Tinnitus pretty bad from too many firefights while in Vehicles.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Re: Huntertown Chameleon 308 anyone have one?

Post by laxguy59 »

The only new cans I have seen that have actually shipped are their 22lr Guardians
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Good luck. You will probably need it for several reasons.:)
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I understand that the HTA stuff isnt the greatest but I have seen one fired on a 300 Win Mag and it was better than not having it. I understand from my dealer that they have already delivered one of the cans but I have yet to see mine.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Joker31D wrote:I understand that the HTA stuff isnt the greatest but I have seen one fired on a 300 Win Mag and it was better than not having it. I understand from my dealer that they have already delivered one of the cans but I have yet to see mine.

saying a can is just better than not having one at all, is not a ringing endorsement.

For several reasons, i will not buy HTA cans, even the rimfire one.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I have been trying to get a hold of them for a week and a half now by phone, email and their automated email on the website, but unable to reach them, the dealer is jerking me around just having a horrible experience all around, the last dealer I started with was trying to charge me full retail for everything, the tax stamps (Not a problem) and a $100 for each can to do paperwork (They said $50 for the transfer to them and $50 to me. They also would only accept trusts if their lawyer completed them. The new one is not much better, they wanted 100% up front, 10% off of retail plus cost of stamps before they would order them. I'm just going to give up on any future purchases, dont want to deal with the hassle any longer.

Will_M
Silent Operator

Post by Will_M »

You need a new dealer and to stop dealing with Huntertown.

It isn't this difficult if you have a good dealer. Don't give up on it yet.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Only good thing they have going for them is the huge dealer markup. Everything else lacks big time.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Joker31D wrote:I have been trying to get a hold of them for a week and a half now by phone, email and their automated email on the website, but unable to reach them, the dealer is jerking me around just having a horrible experience all around, the last dealer I started with was trying to charge me full retail for everything, the tax stamps (Not a problem) and a $100 for each can to do paperwork (They said $50 for the transfer to them and $50 to me. They also would only accept trusts if their lawyer completed them. The new one is not much better, they wanted 100% up front, 10% off of retail plus cost of stamps before they would order them. I'm just going to give up on any future purchases, dont want to deal with the hassle any longer.
I would find another dealer and another MFG . . . it sounds like you are in the worse-case scenario as far as class 3 purchases go.
bitfi3nd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bitfi3nd »

Vagabond wrote:
Joker31D wrote:I understand that the HTA stuff isnt the greatest but I have seen one fired on a 300 Win Mag and it was better than not having it. I understand from my dealer that they have already delivered one of the cans but I have yet to see mine.

saying a can is just better than not having one at all, is not a ringing endorsement.

For several reasons, i will not buy HTA cans, even the rimfire one.
Are two of the reasons they suck and self-destruct? :wink:
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

Just to get back to you guys, I cancelled my Kestrel and Chameleon order and went with a saker in 7.62, will order a few different mounts and end caps for it. 1 Saker is worth more to me than a pair of HTA cans that may or may not show up. HTA sent me an email after I sent 12 over 30 days. They said basically that the Kestrel is a bargain can and will be 6 more months, the Chameleon will be out around Christmas and ship next April.