New to suppressors would like help in getting educated

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kavic

New to suppressors would like help in getting educated

Post by kavic »

I would like to say hello to everyone here. I am located in southern Arizona. I am new to suppressors and would like to develop a firm understanding of how and why t it is the best.hey work. I am not satisfied with what is best but want to understand why it is the best. Any help in how or where to start would be appreciated.

Thank ED
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to suppressors would like help in getting educated

Post by Capt. Link. »

kavic wrote:I would like to say hello to everyone here. I am located in southern Arizona. I am new to suppressors and would like to develop a firm understanding of how and why t it is the best.hey work. I am not satisfied with what is best but want to understand why it is the best. Any help in how or where to start would be appreciated.

Thank ED
I can't spell my diction is poor and my vocabulary is limited to military acronyms.I have not a clue to what you are asking!
Best CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Welcome. Gonna take some time to get to that firm understanding level. Browsing these forums is definitely a good start as any. Nfatalk.org is another good site.

What are you shooting? What do you want to suppress?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Capt. Link. wrote:
kavic wrote:I would like to say hello to everyone here. I am located in southern Arizona. I am new to suppressors and would like to develop a firm understanding of how and why t it is the best.hey work. I am not satisfied with what is best but want to understand why it is the best. Any help in how or where to start would be appreciated.

Thank ED
I can't spell my diction is poor and my vocabulary is limited to military acronyms.I have not a clue to what you are asking!
Best CL
Do not belittle the new member even if he has come here to ask the same question that has been asked 1,000 times before. Try to help if you can but if you can’t then leave them as you found them.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123444
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ed, what caliber/guns do you want to suppress? 22 cans will be the most quiet and cheap to use .
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

kavic wrote:... I am not satisfied with what is best but want to understand why it is the best. ...
"Best" is Highly subjective and like Capt. Link I have no idea what you're really asking.\

Can't tell if you want to buy one, build one, for what caliber(s) ...

Start here :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=123787
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

I am asking for clarification so I may help.
Being accused of mistreating new members is offensive!
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Yeah, should have saved that for Estes . :lol:

After carefully rereading you are absolutely right.
Last edited by Emilio on Fri May 30, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

I'm also head scratching.

Welcome aboard, and What is your question sir?
Kyle O.
kavic

Post by kavic »

To start with, I am interested in understanding how suppressors work. I would like to understand why one type would be better or more adapted for a given caliber or type of firearm action. Why are there different barrel threading for the same od barrel size? I figure that I need to understand suppressor basics before I decide if I want to buy or build my first suppressor. I have unlimited access to a lathe, mill, drill presses, grinders and both gas and mig/wire feed welders along with a fair amount of experience in using them.

I am currently shooting mostly hand guns and .223 rifles. The hand gun calibers that I shoot are .22lr, .380, 9mm, .40, and .45acp. I am in the process of assembling a semi-auto G3 from a HK parts kit, which I will want to suppress.

Is there a good web site or good books available that cover the basics of suppressor principles and theory?

Please don't worry about offending me, I am not of the younger set and I am old (59 years old as of yesterday) enough to have tough skin.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Probably the best way to 'understand' how they work is to crawl through the posts in the Silencersmithing forum & look at the pics, read the questions and answers, and try to visualize what happens inside a suppressor as the bullet uncorks from the barrel.

Keep it simple at first; just look at rifle or .22 cans. For MAX suppression, grins/dollar, and frequency of use, most folks recommend a .22LR suppressor first. You'd be well served to pick up any of the 'recommended' .22 cans and go ahead and get the stamp process started. You'll have 8-14 months to figure everything out before you get your can out of the penalty box.

What you're asking is about the same level as asking a rocket engineer how nozzles work...pretty simple question, but there's a LOT of details in understanding the WHY behind the HOW.

Feel free to PM me if you want; I've been studying these things for 3 or 4 years now, and am just getting to the point that I'm comfortable with answering questions. I can't tell you how many pics I've saved, sketches I've made (at least 2 graph notebooks worth), and ideas I've had. Looking back on some of them, they look plumb stupid now that I have a better idea of what goes on inside those little cans.

Keep sniffing and looking around...ask questions in your head, do some searching (here and on the googles), and dig a little before you post the first question that pops in your head...chances are, its been asked (and answered) many times before. Oh, and check the dates on threads before you resurrect them...lately we've been getting noobs that dredge up 3, 4, or 5 year old posts, asking the original poster (who hasn't been back on the forum in 2 years) 'how it worked'. Frustrating.

Byrdman
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ETA: collided with MCKNBRD's post ... another good tip is find more posts by guys like him and -B- and Capt. Link and more I can't remember right now but should and read them all ... all the really good threads on this forum have posts from guys like this

Heh ... most of us aren't terribly worried about offending.

There are a lot of good threads here with answers to the questions you ask but, unfortunately, no good indexing method I know about to help you find what you want to know other than searching this site specifically using google

baffle design site:silencertalk.com

In my signature is a link to Wicked's Form 1 build thread ... a lot of good info there with a lot of input/observation from some of the most skilled smiths on this forum.

Basically what makes a suppressor/silencer the "best" is a balance between volume and baffle design. There's a lot of art to the craft and if anyone tries to tell you different just stick their nose in a picture of some of Liberty's monocores.

Larger, higher pressure rounds seem to benefit the most from cone shaped baffle designs or there is at least a certain amount of diminishing return for fancier baffle shapes.

K baffles and M baffles are versatile, mouse holes are both a mystery and a blessing.

Lower pressure stuff in the rimfire class hardly seems to care much about baffle design unless you're trying to squeeze out those last few dB to get down to the 112-115dB range or 36-40dB reduction range ... then you're in to omega baffles and all kinds of patented stuff. Never seen anyone get this kind of reduction in a larger caliber can that wasn't plugged completely or approaching the size of a propane bottle.

A lot of people say Paulson's book is the best place to start but a lot of people also say don't buy a progressive for you first reloading press. I think the "art" has advanced past Paulson although there's a bit of good history there.

Probably the best way to find out what you want to know is draw something then post it in the silencer smithing forum claiming it's the most uber dB eating design on the planet, a game changer and anyone who doesn't think so must be delirious from sniffing their own farts as a result of having their head all the way up their own ass or someone elses. You'll definitely get some responses.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Here's a thread with videos that kinda sorta shows what happens to the gas when shot passes through a suppressor.

Basically the gas is delayed inside the can once it leaves the muzzle and released at a more leisurely pace into the ambient atmosphere ...

Voila! ... the difference between a sneeze and a shush

viewtopic.php?t=41409
ndcajun

Post by ndcajun »

Welcome aboard... I'm in the same boat and learning more and more each day... this is a great group...helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Like me, I think you'll be happy you found the forum.

I can say....fair warning!.... this is fun and expensive... I'm having a blast.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Happy Birthday.....from another of the senior set.
The silencer smiting section will cover many of your questions.
To answer your first question on how suppressors work this is how I see them.A suppressor changes Hi pressure to Low pressure.This is done by the retention of hot combustion gases giving them time to cool and expand thus lowering its pressure.The longer the gases are held the lower the exit pressure will be and the less it will be heard.The size of internals components vary depending on initial pressure and caliber along with design intent.
A 22rimfire can is best to build or buy first as they give the biggest grin per shot.
PS: I'm always good for a few hundred questions.
kavic

Post by kavic »

Thank you all for your input. I can see where all the confusion came from with my first post. I reread my post and could not figure out what I was saying. How I typed what I did is beyond me. I will be much more careful.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Thank ED

Welcome to the 'off the beaten path' of suppressor romantics version of the Star Wars
Bar scene.

Yes, though they will not confess to it, there is a tinge of WW II OSS agent in each,
fighting the Nazis in Europe along with Errol Flynn* and Alan
Ladd**, with the heart throbbing sex goddess Hedy Lamar*** backing you up holding her suppressed .22,
shooting your way out of Hildesheim as the Gestapo is chasing you. :)

As with the Good Captain, a stellar person as well as an enviable expert, I also escaped the world
of acronyms encased in other acronyms. Knew it was time to retire when I could speak whole
paragraphs with only four English verbs, 3 prepositions, and 5 present participles.

"WTF! PAVEMOVER NOFORN CRYPTO RFP SOW is being sent to SCIF SOCOM WINTEL
WMMCCS and [ list of classified letter soup groups ] ...., etc.

Aside for the obvious and productive random readings of high-info-dense past posts you should purchase the following:

"SILENCER: History and Performance" VOl. I & 2 - Alan C. Paulson, N.R. Parer and Peter G. Kokalis,
Paladin Press.

"FIREARM Suppressor Patents" - N.R. Parker, Paladin Press.

"Silencers Principles and Evaluations", Dept. of the Army Frankford Arsenal, Report R-1896 Aug 1968.

* << http://www.theerrolflynnblog.com/_photo ... ma9078.jpg >>

** << http://www.meredy.com/al3.jpg >>

*** << http://timeentertainment.files.wordpres ... 320&crop=1 >>
kavic

Post by kavic »

Spent 10 years in the Navy as a crypto tech. Mostly Pensacola and Japan. Had enough after a tour in a training command. Went to work as a tech rep on Air Force special projects for 3 years the to Hughes Missile company which is now Raytheon Missile company. Started as a engineering design checker and worked up to a Systems Engineer before retiring.