NEED ADVICE ON BARREL1022 SELECTION FOR SUPRESSER

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

seabreeze133

NEED ADVICE ON BARREL1022 SELECTION FOR SUPRESSER

Post by seabreeze133 »

I (WE) have a new 1022, SS, black stock and red dot. Accuracy is good for dealing with head shots on pests and squirrels etc. Thinking of Specter 2 and need barrel advice. Price is important as we are retired and limited income. Would like it to be a drop in barrel with no (or limited)stock change. I am able to modify the stock if necessary.

Or as an option, can the existing barrel be modified legally? If so, who would be a good source and can we send barrel only?

Additionally, what thread length do we need for the specter?

Thanks

seabreeze

Oops. Forgot to ask do we need to buy suppressor at time we submit paperwork or can we buy during process as funds are available?
What is most important in life: Honor, integrity, service, humility or...things.
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Re: NEED ADVICE ON BARREL1022 SELECTION FOR SUPRESSER

Post by MCKNBRD »

Well, the 10/22 is plenty accurate out of the box, as you've found. A decent gunsmith can thread the stock barrel, if you just want to keep costs minimal. If you want to keep the stock sights, it adds a little complication, but its not a bridge too far.

The only issue is that the 10/22 comes in various barrel lengths; typically 16-1/4", 18.5", 20", and 22". What model number is yours? With the model number, we can look at exactly the one you have; if its one of the 'short barrel' ones, you won't be able to easily thread it and keep the front sight.

10/22s are great little rifles. They tend to suppress well (as long as you use subsonic ammo) and are easily modified if you want.

If you have any other questions about the 10/22, parts, what works, best mods, etc., feel free to PM me.

Byrdman
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I don't have a 10/22, so use my following words as a springboard for further discussion, and hopefully people smarter and more experienced than I am can chime in and either confirm or refute my hearsay.

(begin hearsay)
The 10/22 doesn't reliably cycle subsonic ammunition as it comes from the factory.
(end hearsay)

Like I said, hopefully someone else can chime in and put that concern to rest, or confirm it and offer solutions.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Since your accuracy is already good, keep the same barrel and get it threaded. Minimal effort and cost.

I've got a 10/22 SS Takedown that I got threaded by Jim Pixley at http://jpgrips.com/page5

Most 10/22's come with 18.5" barrels. You can shorten it another 2" and also keep the stock front sights. Jim does a great job; the threading is bore concentric, the muzzle crown is perfect, and the front sights also act as a big shoulder for the silencer.

The Spectre and Sparrow have a unique threading option where an internal o-ring provides a better grip when mounted, and I highly recommend it. Just specify the Sparrow o-ring cut and Jim's got you covered. Turn around time is usually about 1 month.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

TROOPER wrote:I don't have a 10/22, so use my following words as a springboard for further discussion, and hopefully people smarter and more experienced than I am can chime in and either confirm or refute my hearsay.

(begin hearsay)
The 10/22 doesn't reliably cycle subsonic ammunition as it comes from the factory.
(end hearsay)

Like I said, hopefully someone else can chime in and put that concern to rest, or confirm it and offer solutions.
Lol yea that's not true. Factory stock 10/22's will cycle standard velocity (subsonic) ammo just fine.

The only subsonic rounds that won't cycle are ammo like CCI Quiet-22, or Remington CBEE... the ones that go below 800fps.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I have the 10/22 that was factory threaded and I use it with my Sparrow with no problems once the spacer was installed as the factory threads are .6" long. The standard for 22lr threading is .4" long and 1/2 x 28 threading. The Sparrow and Spectre threads are slightly different because they use an O-ring engagement to keep them from coming loose during shooting. My 10/22 and 15-22 both shoot CCI standards perfectly and they are always subsonic. The 10/22 is so popular that you can find a plethera of aftermarket barrels that fit your stock easily without modifications and are threaded already. Where you run into trouble is you may not fine a threaded aftermarket with the front sight if thats something your interested in.

As for the suggestions to use Jim Pixley for your threading, I totally agree. I've had two handguns threaded by him and they both came out great, He always had a faster turn around time than estimated for me.

As for paying for the suppressors, that is between you and the retailer. That part is no different than buying anything else. You just can't take it home until the Gov says it's ok. So, you'd have to discuss a payment plan or layaway option with your dealer if your not able to put the full amount down right away.

Just an FYI here is a spec sheet for the Sparrow, Spectre and warlock.

http://static.squarespace.com/static/52 ... _Guide.PDF
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

seabreeze133 wrote:I (WE) have a new 1022, SS, black stock and red dot. Accuracy is good for dealing with head shots on pests and squirrels etc. Thinking of Specter 2 and need barrel advice. Price is important as we are retired and limited income. Would like it to be a drop in barrel with no (or limited)stock change. I am able to modify the stock if necessary.

Or as an option, can the existing barrel be modified legally? If so, who would be a good source and can we send barrel only?

Additionally, what thread length do we need for the specter?

Thanks

seabreeze

Oops. Forgot to ask do we need to buy suppressor at time we submit paperwork or can we buy during process as funds are available?
You need to pay for the suppressor before paper work is sent.

I have lots of threaded 10/22's, the Cheap way is to thread what you have . Jim @ Jpgrips has gone up to $65 now but does good work and free shipping back. Take the barrel off and mail it. ( barrel is legal to ship as a part)

I would have the barrel cut to 16 1/4" total so it's not too looooong with the suppressor and have it thread 1/2 "x 28 RH by .400" long. ( fits most suppressors)

Threaded barrels are legal , legal length is 16" but go slightly over.

You can also buy threaded barrels but stay away form new factory 10/22 thread barrels ($85) as the threads are too long and would need a spacer. I have found slightly used threaded barrels for the price of threading also.

To be quiet you will need to shoot standard velocity ammo for no sonic crack. CCI standard is good go to ammo. Subsonic works suppressed but no need to pay more for less FPS.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Ooooops, forgot to torture you Mr Seabreeze. :mrgreen:

Remember, when you are retired you have two choices,,, a case of depends and denture cream,,,OR a new toy. :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRECRuGda18
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
blues addict

Post by blues addict »

Try rimfire central. Lot of people there to steer you in right direction.