Which suppresses better in SAME gun--a 3.3" or 4.1" barrel?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Which length would be quieter (in theory) with a Sparrow?

3.3" barrel.
No votes
4.1" barrel.
85%
Sound the same to the shooter.
15%

Total votes: 13

evi1joe

Which suppresses better in SAME gun--a 3.3" or 4.1" barrel?

Post by evi1joe »

I'm wondering if the new SIG P938 IN THEORY would be more quiet with the normal 3.3" barrel OR the 4.1" barrel (both shot with CCI standard to minimags).
I could see arguments going both ways (not that I have ANY idea if either makes sense):
FOR a shorter barrel: less velocity, less energy in the action making the action "hit" less hard.
FOR a longer barrel: less powder still trying to burn as it enters (and exits?) the suppressor, faster action sound.

ETA: Any thoughts on why some people are voting for 4.1"? What's your reasoning (I'm assuming it's not the same as mine, which I just guessed at).
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which suppresses better in SAME gun--a 3.3" or 4.1" barr

Post by rimshaker »

Its not about the bullet velocity; it's the powder. The shorter the barrel, the more unburnt powder combustion exiting the muzzle. Hence more muzzle blast and flash.
evi1joe

Post by evi1joe »

Thanks. Yeah, I WONDERED if that unburnt powder might still be trying to ignite in the suppressor and/or just blasting out, making noise.
I bought a 4.1" Sig Sauer P938-22 Target model (only saw 3 on gunbroker) intuiting that it would be the more quiet (and probably more accurate) one.

I'm going to have to sell my THREADED SR22 for this non-threaded gun (and figure out who will thread it for me), BUT I'm hoping this will be a winner.
The SR22 fit my hand better than any gun I've EVER owned (a little small, but that made it conform perfectly). This one is a tiny bit shorter and a bit longer.

For me to keep it, it will need to be 100% reliable, as accurate as the SR22 (like 4"-5" at 20Y-25Y unsupported), AND quieter than the SR22 with my Sparrow (it's a 4.1" barrel vs a 3.5").
IF it does all that, then hopefully I won't feel compelled to buy a Beretta 87.
IF it doesn't do all that, then I'll selling it, getting another SR22 for plinking and a 22/45 LITE for suppressed shooting and accuracy (which will cost me as much as a Beretta 87, but be more versatile even though I'll STILL wish I'd bought a Beretta 87).
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

there's not really hard and fast rules… in general the more powder that burns, the quitter it will be. BUT, it depends on the can quite a bit- some cans perform better with higher pressure (shorter barrel) and others with lower pressure (longer barrel).

You'll have to test in combo with particular cans and ammos.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Well hold on, before you sell that SR22, consider getting a threaded barrel from Twintech:

http://www.twintechtactical.com/SR22TB.html

This is what i'm using on my SR22. Great quality drop-in barrel, just like stock OEM, maybe better. Barrel length is right at 4". Functions and sounds great with the Sparrow silencer. And they even offer an adapter specifically for the Sparrow/Spectre o-ring feature.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I have a Ruger MKII and S&W 2213 that have 3" barrels both are very quiet with SV and HV ammo using an Element and Liberty TL, both are extremely reliable and not ammo picky. The Ruger is surprising quiet with the TL and Fed bulk pack and has a nice tone for being HV.

Haven't priced or shot the new Sig , might be reliable ,I've had 50/50 results testing their 22 pistols and conversions for ammo sensitivity/ reliability. Give us a report if you get one? :)
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
evi1joe

Post by evi1joe »

Yeah, I had the OEM threaded barrel, and the Silencerco threaded adapter with o-ring. I still thought it was a bit loud.
I just want to try out this all aluminum and steel gun and see how I like it, though I'm betting I'll eventually get a 22/45 LITE, just because they seem to be the quietest from what I've seen.
A LOT of the noise I'm hearing MIGHT be being caused by the fences surrounding the range--it's very small, with brick behind me and 8' tall wood fences.

Still, I really wanted to try a gun that might be closer to the Beretta 87 without that insane of a price, and see how I like it.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

JasonM wrote:there's not really hard and fast rules… in general the more powder that burns, the quitter it will be. BUT, it depends on the can quite a bit- some cans perform better with higher pressure (shorter barrel) and others with lower pressure (longer barrel).

To be fair, the cans in .22LR that perform better on pistols aren't exactly slouches on rifles . . . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

57fairlane wrote:
JasonM wrote:there's not really hard and fast rules… in general the more powder that burns, the quitter it will be. BUT, it depends on the can quite a bit- some cans perform better with higher pressure (shorter barrel) and others with lower pressure (longer barrel).

To be fair, the cans in .22LR that perform better on pistols aren't exactly slouches on rifles . . . :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
no, but making 22 quiet isn't magic these days.

so when we compare, we have to do it in terms of dB numbers that probably make zero real-world difference. We're talking in generalities here.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy