Harvester or saker762?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Firemed82

Harvester or saker762?

Post by Firemed82 »

I'm ordering my first "long range" bolt action rifle. I'm heavily leaning towards the savage model 19626 which comes from the factory with a 20" threaded barrel. I currently have no other 30 caliber rifles, and already have a dedicated 556 can.

My question is which would you prefer for a bolt action precision rifle?
Harvester at 11oz and almost $400 less. Limited to slow rate of fire, ie no 308 ar in the future.
Or
Saker which is heavier, more $, and would likely cost an additional $130 for direct thread adapter.

I already have a octane 9 and osprey45 which would cover subsonic 300 blk if I choose to go that route in the future.

Since I'm in Florida I won't be hunting suppressed any time soon, so I don't know that weight will be to much of an issue for a bench gun.
I think I'm trying to go against the buy once cry once in favor of less money, less weight, built in muzzle brake, and possibly more accuracy?
What would you chose?
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Re: Harvester or saker762?

Post by samson7x »

Given your circumstances and intended use, I'd go harvester honestly.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

For bolt action precision shooting, definitely Harvester.

2nd choice might be the AAC 300-TM. But costs twice as much, and not as versatile with thread mounts like Harvester.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I do so love how some silencers are recommended so willingly. The Harvester hasn't been metered independently. No one has them in hand. It's made with aluminum. Compared to the 300-TM it has absolutely zero pedigree is an absolutely unknown entity.

Yet.... "Oh get the Harvester!!"
samson7x
Silent But Deadly

Post by samson7x »

este wrote:I do so love how some silencers are recommended so willingly. The Harvester hasn't been metered independently. No one has them in hand. It's made with aluminum. Compared to the 300-TM it has absolutely zero pedigree is an absolutely unknown entity.

The core is welded stainless steel. Only the outer tube covering the core is aluminum. The OP wasn't comparing the 300-TM, he was asking about Saker vs. Harvester.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

este wrote:I do so love how some silencers are recommended so willingly. The Harvester hasn't been metered independently. No one has them in hand. It's made with aluminum. Compared to the 300-TM it has absolutely zero pedigree is an absolutely unknown entity.

Actually quite the opposite. There's already several videos of the Harvester out in the field. How many for 300-TM ....still none so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bmZ3vpYuU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-oX3slX-BE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgltBcd_KW8

Didn't mean to get off topic from the OP, was just suggesting other good options for precision bolt actions. 300-TM is one of them, but really hard to justify the cost/performance/flexibility ratio against the Harvester. Same with the Saker, it's overbuilt and overkill for precision bolt action, and probably not as quiet since it's a shorter can.
T3BEAR

Post by T3BEAR »

Thanks, I did.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

rimshaker wrote:There's already several videos of the Harvester out in the field. How many for 300-TM ....still none so far.
Yea... I'm going to go ahead and just smile at that. Anyone from AAC care to comment on what the 300-TM / MK13-SD / Titan / TitanQD etc is doing in military applications?
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

They're probably all packing up or looking for work.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

MJF1911 wrote:They're probably all packing up or looking for work.
:roll:
laxguy59
Silent But Deadly

Post by laxguy59 »

este wrote:
rimshaker wrote:There's already several videos of the Harvester out in the field. How many for 300-TM ....still none so far.
Yea... I'm going to go ahead and just smile at that. Anyone from AAC care to comment on what the 300-TM / MK13-SD / Titan / TitanQD etc is doing in military applications?
Such independent source. Much reliable. So unbiased.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

I'm no AAC fan boy but the XM2010 contract is still in place . . . they have to deliver Titans with the rifles or Big Green is going to have some explaining to do.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

57fairlane wrote:
I'm no AAC fan boy but the XM2010 contract is still in place . . . they have to deliver Titans with the rifles or Big Green is going to have some explaining to do.
End the panic. AAC is not going away. Sucks for guys that don't want to make the move, but AAC as a whole and its product line will be here and is getting a big upgrade in terms of resources. It may change more, but in terms of the products it should only grow.

I personally wish they'd actually put effort into marketing again 8) , but the company is not going anywhere.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

I was looking at the harvester this am. I noticed on the website that they say is for barrels with a minimum lenth of 22". Not sure if you spoke with them or not about the 20" barrel, but may want to check with them before you get a can to use on a 20" rifle if you shouldn't be using it on said rifle.
I've gotta stop this habit.
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

OJB4 wrote:. Not sure if you spoke with them or not about the 20" barrel, but may want to check with them before you get a can to use on a 20" rifle if you shouldn't be using it on said rifle.
Can you please put up a link regarding the 20 inch barrel? This is all could find and it specifies 24 inch barrel for the magnum cartridges.

http://www.silencerco.com/harvester/
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Post by wildfowler »

wildfowler wrote:
OJB4 wrote:. Not sure if you spoke with them or not about the 20" barrel, but may want to check with them before you get a can to use on a 20" rifle if you shouldn't be using it on said rifle.
Can you please put up a link regarding the 20 inch barrel? This is all could find and it specifies 24 inch barrel for the magnum cartridges.

http://www.silencerco.com/harvester/
Thanks
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I cancelled my order for a HTA Kestrel and a Chameleon and ordered the Saker 7.62. The benefits outweighed (No Puns) the HTA's negatives I also like the Magnum capability of the Saker, Have a Benelli R1 in my future if everything pans out. I saw the Barrel requirement and decided a saker was worth it. Add in the 5.56 ability with the end cap change and it was a no-brainer. The stainless is easier to clean too, drop in ultrasonic and done. Not sure about Alum in Ultrasonic. BTW in FL you can hunt Hogs on your own land with a can (FWCC and Dept of Agriculture verified) Deer with a nuisance permit. Talked to Adam Putnam recently about it and he said it was set to be voted on next year along with limited Bear Permits. So hopefully soon we can hunt on public land with a can all the time (I hunted on Forestry land with thermal and Suppressed rifles through the Black Dagger Assoc last year)
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Joker31D wrote: The stainless is easier to clean too, drop in ultrasonic and done. Not sure about Alum in Ultrasonic.
The Saker/Specwar baffles are made of stellite. Way tougher than stainless and inconel. Forget the ultrasonic. Rifle cans are sealed and don't need to be cleaned like pistol cans.

Aluminum not recommended with ultrasonics either.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I thought the tubes were stainless, which I thought was the main difference they were debating. The harvester is Alum which shouldnt go in the sonic bath, The saker is SS I thought, both use same material for baffles, Harvester has a Muzzle Brake built in and is direct thread only. I plan on shooting 7.62x39 through mine which can be dirty so I plan on cleaning mine if necessary, I figured with it being sealed, ultrasonic was only way to clean it.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
upjeeper

Post by upjeeper »

Firemed82 wrote: Harvester at 11oz and almost $400 less. Limited to slow rate of fire, ie no 308 ar in the future.

can you please clarify, is the harvester not ok for AR10 or other .308's on the AR platform?
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

upjeeper wrote:
Firemed82 wrote: Harvester at 11oz and almost $400 less. Limited to slow rate of fire, ie no 308 ar in the future.

can you please clarify, is the harvester not ok for AR10 or other .308's on the AR platform?
It will do fine on a AR10 provided that it isn't an SBR and you limit your fire rate to 10 rounds per minute. The Harvester is an 11oz precision rifle can meant for slower firing schedules.