No FRP 22 rimfire cans?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

vike
Silent Operator

No FRP 22 rimfire cans?

Post by vike »

Been away from the market a while. What are the quietest 22 cans that do not have FRP today? I'd rather not have to wet my can if I don't have to. I always thought the first shot is always the most critical in hunting and never understood why folks are so tolerant of FRP in some of the 22 cans on the market.
Length and weight are no issue as long as it can be user cleanable and with top tier DB reduction. Primarily use on a pistol like a Ruger MK2, but 10/22 as well. Is AAC Element the best or are there others? Thanks :) Are longer 6"+ cans better at FRP deletion?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: No FRP 22 rimfire cans?

Post by Emilio »

I don't like FRP either. Vary happy with my pre II Element and Liberty TL. I sometimes get a slight FRP with HV on a pistol with the TL but that's at 5500 ft .

The SWR Spectre II is another good option.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

FRP is negligible/nonexistent on rifles. But it's an issue with most 22 pistols, especially the monocore cans. I've heard good things about the Element 2 in this regard.
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

The Spectre 2 and warlock have no FRP to them. I have a sparrow and it does but it doesn't bother me at all. I have heard the Spectre and warlock demoed to me, definitely no FRP to them. This was all in reference to use on a pistol as there is FRP on any of them on a rifle.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Element II has very little FRP on my M&P22 with HV, but none with subs.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Does anyone have any insight as to what differences in each can that
either encourages FRP or reduces it?

K, Omegas, slants, etc., versus disks?

Mesh in expansion exit?

From readings monocores have a FRP.

Yes unburned powder is ignited so the topology would
be the most likely critical parameter.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

^^ my guess would be the amount of free air space between baffles. Monocores have larger air chambers (more trapped oxygen?) than individual baffle stack cores.
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Volume between blast baffle and rear end cap, I think....... At least that's what I recall reading....... There is maybe 3/4" between the muzzle, and blast baffle on my E2. Should have my Spectre 2 in about a month, and will be able to compare at that time. Regardless of the outcome, the E2 is very quiet, even on a rifle. Definitely my best suppressor purchase to date.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

hmm. the Spectre sounds like a strong choice. Good price and built like a tank. No FRP? That may be the one for me :D thanks Is the Kodiak noticeably quieter than Spectre?
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

vike wrote:hmm. the Spectre sounds like a strong choice. Good price and built like a tank. No FRP? That may be the one for me :D thanks Is the Kodiak noticeably quieter than Spectre?
No
Kyle O.
JOHN_E
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JOHN_E »

vike wrote:hmm. the Spectre sounds like a strong choice. Good price and built like a tank. No FRP? That may be the one for me :D thanks Is the Kodiak noticeably quieter than Spectre?
I wouldn't say NO first round pop, but much less than my Sparrow.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

JOHN_E wrote:
vike wrote:...
I wouldn't say NO first round pop, but much less than my Sparrow.
This.

Suppression will vary from shot to shot by a dB or few for every can and ammo choice makes a difference.

The Spectre FRP is negligible and if you average 10 shots you can almost defend saying it has no FRP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

The element is the only can I know of where the 1st shot has a chance of being quieter than a subsequent shot FWIW.
vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

57fair, that's interesting. What feature is in the element that helps it almost eliminate frp that other cans cant quite do? It seems smaller than the Spectre as well.
Also, Do any of the makers open up the baffle passage and end cap a little more than others to ensure less chances of a baffle strike? Or are most pretty narrow and around .25-.27ish(actual guess)? I know the Sparrow looks more choked down than the Outback 2. Are the Spectre and Element tight bored like the Sparrow ?
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

FRP is typically a function of blast chamber volume and baffle design. Larger blast chamber? More FRP. Monocore? Typically more FRP.

As with all things in the suppressor world, there are exceptions.

I was amazed with Matt's Dagger .22 can; First Round was about .2db louder than the rest, IIRC. Shot next to a Sparrow, Pilot (his recore was amazing, too), and either a Spectre or Warlock (don't remember which), it was apparent which cans were best. Sparrow had a noticeable FRP and seemed louder than the others, but with a lower tone. The K or cone baffled cans were all pretty close, but the Dagger and SRI's recore of the Pilot were definitely quietest.

If you like the ease of cleaning the monocore Sparrow, pick one up. FRP can generally be eliminated with a quick spritz of water; while FRP is an important factor, it can be mitigated by an ablative.

Byrdman
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

vike wrote:57fair, that's interesting. What feature is in the element that helps it almost eliminate frp that other cans cant quite do? It seems smaller than the Spectre as well.
Also, Do any of the makers open up the baffle passage and end cap a little more than others to ensure less chances of a baffle strike? Or are most pretty narrow and around .25-.27ish(actual guess)? I know the Sparrow looks more choked down than the Outback 2. Are the Spectre and Element tight bored like the Sparrow ?
The Element has a tight bore, the Liberty has a tapered bore and more forgiving and less blowback.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

Is there a particular nose bottle squirter that works best for the Sparrow? I may have to try it. Is the $3 walmart afrin-like spray good?
hyrulejedi86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

I use that type of mister from walmart and it works just fine. One other thing you could do, if you have the ammo, when shooting regular bulk ammo through a handgun make sure the first round in the magazine is a standard velocity round such as CCI standard and it is about the same if not a little quieter as the bulk ammo through a can. I do this more regularly than spritzing water. I will also have a couple mags ready, count the rounds and change the mag when it is empty but there is still one in the chamber.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Nasal spray bottle works great. I found a little spray bottle that had eyeglass cleaner in it, just dumped out the cleaner and filled it with water. The finer the mist the better.