Questions about building AR 9mm SBX barrel

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

savagetactical
Silent Operator

Questions about building AR 9mm SBX barrel

Post by savagetactical »

I planned to modify my 9mm AR-15 carbine barrel by adding a shroud similar in function to the tactical solutions 10/22 SB-X barrel. The suppressor I plan to use is an AAC Ti-rant 9mm, but I have a Silencerco Octane 45 I would like to run with this setup as well. I would like to partial recess the shroud under a rail (thinking Seekins Precision MCSR V2, 1.8” ID) if practical. I have a few questions and wanted to seek some advice from the members on this board.

What clearance do you recommend between the suppressor and the shroud? What about the length of the suppressor beyond the shroud; do you think 1 inch would be enough or would longer be needed? What material should the shroud be made out of - aluminum or steel and what thickness? If there is enough room for adequate clearances, I’d like to partial recess the shroud under the rail. What clearance would you guys recommend between the shroud and the rail?
vike
Silent Operator

Re: Questions about building AR 9mm SBX barrel

Post by vike »

With the 10/22 SBX I think my can sticks out just under an inch, which is plenty. I think 1/2" would be about minimum, unless you have thin fingers. It would look better if you limited it to just a cylinder can and not the Osprey. The Osprey would require a fairly large cavity in the shroud as you can image the bore is well off centered and to mount it inside the shroud would require much more room than the conventional round can like the Tirant. Aluminum for the shroud is fine unless you plan to use it as a bayonet :lol: I recall the SBX 10/22 barrel with shroud is just 14oz
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Re: Questions about building AR 9mm SBX barrel

Post by Joker31D »

I'm new to the SBX so I have a few questions, Dont mean to hijack but I assume that the cage is built as a solid part of the barrel or was it screwed and permanently attached? If it was screwed on, it would seem pretty straight forward, just buy some aluminum tubing weld an end cap on it then hitemp solder it to the barrel, the big questions are dimensions, I think the can would be the first X factor of the build, then the barrel then finally the shroud so find a can you want (Be very sure its the one) then space all off of it.

This might be a shortcut if you have limited access to tools/equipment.
http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-AR15-Golf- ... 3ELMSFChey

Seems hokey at first but if you buy a cheap one of those it may give you a cheap in or at least a basis to seam weld an tube on... from what I have seen they are pretty well made as far as bore alignment. you can take a drill press and bit to it to make the weight more manageable. (Do it after you weld an extension because it will cause problems with blow through if you remove material first)
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!